Unwanted disconnects from ADSL

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Philip, Dec 31, 2005.

  1. Philip

    Philip Guest

    I have a remote computer that's hooked up to Orcon unlimited 256 Kbit
    service.

    For some reason it's taken to disconnecting itself from the Net without
    any prompt from me. It's not hard to re-connect - but I have to be in
    front of the machine to do that, and the whole point is to be able to
    upload files to the machine without being in front of it!

    DSL modem is the free one you get with Orcon - the machine is currently
    20 km away from here & I'm not brave enough to drive around town New
    Year Eve.

    I'll have to go in tomorrow or Tuesday - but has anyone any suggestions
    on ways to force it to stay connected, & re-connect if it loses
    connection, without me being there?

    Dell Dimension 3000, Win XP home, running radio station playout software
    that's pretty rock-solid reliable and doesn't do that on the machine
    here at home.

    The disconnection stops me logging in from home - but the playout
    software is running properly and there are no errors logged.

    Thanks in advance,

    Philip
    Philip, Dec 31, 2005

  2. Philip

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:26:53 +1300, Philip wrote:

    > I have a remote computer that's hooked up to Orcon unlimited 256 Kbit
    > service.
    >
    > For some reason it's taken to disconnecting itself from the Net without
    > any prompt from me. It's not hard to re-connect - but I have to be in
    > front of the machine to do that, and the whole point is to be able to
    > upload files to the machine without being in front of it!
    >
    > DSL modem is the free one you get with Orcon - the machine is currently 20
    > km away from here & I'm not brave enough to drive around town New Year
    > Eve.
    >
    > I'll have to go in tomorrow or Tuesday - but has anyone any suggestions on
    > ways to force it to stay connected, & re-connect if it loses connection,
    > without me being there?
    >
    > Dell Dimension 3000, Win XP home, running radio station playout software
    > that's pretty rock-solid reliable and doesn't do that on the machine
    > here at home.
    >
    > The disconnection stops me logging in from home - but the playout software
    > is running properly and there are no errors logged.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Philip

    Whats the modem?, and how do you normally fix it?
    Unless you are power cycling the modem, you could write a script
    that windows scheduling runs [say] every 5 minutes to check if the modem
    is connected, and if it is, then the script does w/ever it is you do to
    fix it.

    (What OS is your remote comp)
    --
    As famous as the unknown soldier.
    Shane, Dec 31, 2005

  3. Philip

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > I have a remote computer that's hooked up to Orcon unlimited 256 Kbit
    > service.
    >
    > For some reason it's taken to disconnecting itself from the Net without
    > any prompt from me. It's not hard to re-connect - but I have to be in
    > front of the machine to do that, and the whole point is to be able to
    > upload files to the machine without being in front of it!
    >
    > DSL modem is the free one you get with Orcon - the machine is currently
    > 20 km away from here & I'm not brave enough to drive around town New
    > Year Eve.
    >
    > I'll have to go in tomorrow or Tuesday - but has anyone any suggestions
    > on ways to force it to stay connected, & re-connect if it loses
    > connection, without me being there?

    If the modem connects OK when the power is cycled, you could just run it
    off a timer switch, so it is forced to cycle a couple of times a day -
    preferably when you aren't likely to be using the connection. Won't fix
    the problem, of course, but might save you a drive in future.

    Quick and dirty, we used to do this on our remote BBS to ensure modems
    didn't stay hung up for longer than about 8 hours or so.
    -=rjh=-, Dec 31, 2005
  4. Philip wrote:
    > I have a remote computer that's hooked up to Orcon unlimited 256 Kbit
    > service.

    There is your problem!

    Looks like the authentication problem again. My logs are filled with
    literally hundreds of 2:25 second sessions.

    Had to restart the router several times today... okay, I don't /have/
    to, all I need to do is reconnect PPPoA, but restarting is easier.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Dec 31, 2005
  5. Philip

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Philip wrote:
    >> I have a remote computer that's hooked up to Orcon unlimited 256 Kbit
    >> service.

    > There is your problem!
    >
    > Looks like the authentication problem again. My logs are filled with
    > literally hundreds of 2:25 second sessions.
    >
    > Had to restart the router several times today... okay, I don't /have/ to,
    > all I need to do is reconnect PPPoA, but restarting is easier.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    So its just not xtra customers who are experiencing this.
    hmmm that's interesting

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Dec 31, 2005
  6. Philip

    Philip Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    >> Philip wrote:
    >>> I have a remote computer that's hooked up to Orcon unlimited 256 Kbit
    >>> service.

    >> There is your problem!
    >>
    >> Looks like the authentication problem again. My logs are filled with
    >> literally hundreds of 2:25 second sessions.
    >>
    >> Had to restart the router several times today... okay, I don't /have/ to,
    >> all I need to do is reconnect PPPoA, but restarting is easier.
    >>
    >> The Other Guy

    > So its just not xtra customers who are experiencing this.
    > hmmm that's interesting
    >
    > KB

    Are we saying this is a modem problem (I could always get another one)
    or an Orcon problem, in which case, Seeby...HELP!!!

    Philip
    Philip, Dec 31, 2005
  7. Philip

    S Roby Guest

    >For some reason it's taken to disconnecting itself from the Net without
    >any prompt from me. It's not hard to re-connect - but I have to be in
    >front of the machine to do that, and the whole point is to be able to
    >upload files to the machine without being in front of it!

    I had this problem
    Then Telecom came & fixed my phone line (after the phone line just failed
    completely) & the problem went away
    Perhaps? you may a noisey/bad phone lines???
    S Roby, Dec 31, 2005
  8. In article <43b63f3d$>, says...
    > Are we saying this is a modem problem (I could always get another one)
    > or an Orcon problem, in which case, Seeby...HELP!!!
    >
    > Philip

    Could be either. Could be your modem dropping the connection (is it a dlink by
    any chance?) or could be their end. Could be your modem is set up to disconnect
    after a certain time of no activity ... my 3com one was configured to hang up
    after 20 minutes if nothing happens, by default. Make sure nothing on the
    computer is set up to disconnect after [n] time of inactivity (like, your ppoa
    connection) or some 3rd party software.

    I can't say many bad things about dlink - was on a dlink usb modem for a couple
    of weeks without a problem (no dropped lines) and I live outside what is
    normally considered the service distance from the cabinet. USRobotics have a
    very good rep for their adsl modems as well as their analogue ones; for
    tenacity as well as speed (good retraining).

    h.t.h. -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 31, 2005
  9. Philip

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    >> "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    >>> There is your problem!
    >>>
    >>> Looks like the authentication problem again. My logs are filled with
    >>> literally hundreds of 2:25 second sessions.
    >>>
    >>> Had to restart the router several times today... okay, I don't
    >>> /have/ to, all I need to do is reconnect PPPoA, but restarting is
    >>> easier. The Other Guy

    >> So its just not xtra customers who are experiencing this.
    >> hmmm that's interesting
    >>
    >> KB
    >>

    > Are we saying this is a modem problem (I could always get another one)
    > or an Orcon problem, in which case, Seeby...HELP!!!

    I'd say an Orcon/Telecom one. I've been disconnected multiple times a day
    for the last week. 20 times since the 27th according to Orcon's usage page.
    Luckilly my router reconnects quite well all by itself. Unluckilly a couple
    of those outages have been while I was gaming (Another this morning, just
    before 3am). Depending on where I am in the game and what I'm doing an
    outage can cost me up to an hour of game play, meaning I have to re-do
    everything I've just done. I usually just quit the game in frustration.

    Going from really bad to much worse. I didn't think it was possible.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Dec 31, 2005
  10. Philip

    Gordy Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a remote computer that's hooked up to Orcon unlimited 256 Kbit
    >service.
    >
    >For some reason it's taken to disconnecting itself from the Net without

    Snip

    >Philip

    I have an ASUS AAM6000EV ADSL Router and I have setup Dial on Demand
    enabled for 600 seconds idle.

    When I launch my browser, I have to refresh my browser a couple of
    times if ADSL has been out, but it only takes a few seconds before
    data comes in again.

    Saves me having to reset my modem to re-establish the ADSL data flow.

    Makes for big log files at Orcon, but I don't have to wait long to get
    ADSL data flowing again.

    Now, on re-reading your problem Philip I am unsure if DoD would liven
    up an ADSL connection for incomming traffic... but may be worth a try.

    Cheers

    Gordon
    Gordy, Jan 1, 2006

  11. >
    > I had this problem
    > Then Telecom came & fixed my phone line (after the phone line just failed
    > completely) & the problem went away
    > Perhaps? you may a noisey/bad phone lines???

    ADSL modems will disconnect randomly at times. It just a fact. Remember the
    DSL is runing over copper wires which are not conditioned or tested at all
    and the similar problems as when people had normal modems on the line can
    occur. Yes other circits such as frame relay or alike can be used over the
    same copper (if you changed to frame relay), but the circuit is tested after
    going in. There are quite a number of things which can interfer with lines.

    The question is how many disconnections is too much. My home connection
    maybe gets 10-15 disconnections per month and the place I used to live in
    before this (same modem etc) had about once a day.

    More than 1 a day on average would be too much (EXCLUDING planned/unplanned
    outages at the ISP/Telecom)

    Talking for Myself
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Jan 1, 2006
  12. Re: Unwanted disconnects from ADSL - easy workaround

    In article <43b60a32$>, says...

    > The disconnection stops me logging in from home - but the playout
    > software is running properly and there are no errors logged.

    Actually, if you just want to make sure the machine is accessible from home,
    all you should have to do is install some software that accesses the 'net
    regularly ... like Mercury does in my case (checks email every half hour).
    That either keeps the connection alive or forces a reconnect of the adsl modem.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 1, 2006
  13. Philip

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Philip wrote:
    >> Krazy Bob wrote:
    >>> "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message

    >>> So its just not xtra customers who are experiencing this.
    >>> hmmm that's interesting
    >>>
    >>> KB
    >>>

    >> Are we saying this is a modem problem (I could always get another one)
    >> or an Orcon problem, in which case, Seeby...HELP!!!

    > I'd say an Orcon/Telecom one. I've been disconnected multiple times a day
    > for the last week. 20 times since the 27th according to Orcon's usage
    > page. Luckilly my router reconnects quite well all by itself. Unluckilly a
    > couple of those outages have been while I was gaming (Another this
    > morning, just before 3am). Depending on where I am in the game and what
    > I'm doing an outage can cost me up to an hour of game play, meaning I have
    > to re-do everything I've just done. I usually just quit the game in
    > frustration.
    >
    > Going from really bad to much worse. I didn't think it was possible.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Yea that sucks when that happens, i just gained my vetern knife badge ( had
    to knife 7 people in a round, very hard to do if i might add) got it, then
    got dropped....*very* annoying. lol

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 1, 2006
  14. Philip

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    >> "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    >>> There is your problem!
    >>>
    >>> Looks like the authentication problem again. My logs are filled with
    >>> literally hundreds of 2:25 second sessions.
    >>>
    >>> Had to restart the router several times today... okay, I don't /have/
    >>> to, all I need to do is reconnect PPPoA, but restarting is easier.
    >>>
    >>> The Other Guy

    >> So its just not xtra customers who are experiencing this.
    >> hmmm that's interesting
    >>
    >> KB

    > Are we saying this is a modem problem (I could always get another one) or
    > an Orcon problem, in which case, Seeby...HELP!!!
    >
    > Philip

    Telecom/Orcon problem me thinks

    I have a billion 7100s Router

    KB
    Krazy Bob, Jan 1, 2006
  15. At that very moment, Philip turned to nz.comp and said
    > For some reason it's taken to disconnecting itself from the Net without
    > any prompt from me. It's not hard to re-connect - but I have to be in

    I have a 3COM ADSL modem (/wifi hub/switch) that did that - often in the
    middle of online games :(

    I changed back to my Asus modem and have had no more problems. I don't
    know why; perhaps the Asus is more tolerant of problems, or perhaps the
    3com was resetting itself. I was quite disconcerted to get better
    results from Asus than 3COM for a networking product, but it was
    definite ...

    (I tried the latest firmware on the 3com).
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Jan 2, 2006
  16. On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 22:42:05 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
    <> wrote:

    >At that very moment, Philip turned to nz.comp and said
    >> For some reason it's taken to disconnecting itself from the Net without
    >> any prompt from me. It's not hard to re-connect - but I have to be in

    >I have a 3COM ADSL modem (/wifi hub/switch) that did that - often in the
    >middle of online games :(
    >
    >I changed back to my Asus modem and have had no more problems. I don't
    >know why; perhaps the Asus is more tolerant of problems, or perhaps the
    >3com was resetting itself. I was quite disconcerted to get better
    >results from Asus than 3COM for a networking product, but it was
    >definite ...
    >
    >(I tried the latest firmware on the 3com).

    If you are further away from the exchange, or have bad signal to noise
    ratio, then you need an ADSL modem that has a 24 V power supply in
    order to get the most headroom. So, is the Asus 24 V and the 3Com
    only 12 V?
    Stephen Worthington, Jan 3, 2006
  17. Philip

    EMB Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > At that very moment, Stephen Worthington turned to nz.comp and said
    >
    >>If you are further away from the exchange, or have bad signal to noise
    >>ratio, then you need an ADSL modem that has a 24 V power supply in
    >>order to get the most headroom. So, is the Asus 24 V and the 3Com
    >>only 12 V?

    > Interesting. The Asus uses a 15V AC plug pack, while the 3com uses a
    > 12VDC. So that could be the difference.

    No difference then - the 15V AC will be rectified to 12V DC internally.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Jan 4, 2006
  18. At that very moment, Stephen Worthington turned to nz.comp and said

    Aaron Lawrence, Jan 4, 2006
  19. At that very moment, EMB turned to nz.comp and said
    > No difference then - the 15V AC will be rectified to 12V DC internally.

    Well, probably, but it would be possible for it to get a bit higher
    voltage (since 15VAC is somewhat more peak to peak).
    Aaron Lawrence, Jan 5, 2006