Unusual VoIP application;!..

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by tony sayer, Apr 22, 2009.

  1. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Wonder if anyone would care to comment on this possible setup..

    We need to have a central control point that can use either an analogue
    phone with a VoIP adapter or a standalone VoIP fone, that can when the
    handset is picked up - or a preset number button is pushed on that,
    dial/call up to Four distant stations all on the same LAN or VPN for
    that matter.

    The unit will call all 4 distant locations where at each point an ATA
    adapter or possibly standalone VoIP fone will auto answer the incoming
    call. The auto answer will be, in the case of an ATA be done via an
    external gubbins which will just detect the ringing volts and place a
    hold on the line.. Unless there is an ATA or VoIP fone that will auto
    answer?.

    It would be useful to have more than the one, perhaps up to Three phones
    at this central point that can all do that.

    A normal phone call can then take place between the control point and
    each outstation, there is no particular requirement for each outstation
    to be able to talk to each other, just the central control station will
    do. If each station can talk to the other this does not matter as such.

    At each outstation is there anyway of getting the same ATA when the
    attached phone is "picked up" or more like the line is looped, of that
    auto dialling the central station control point and that ringing in the
    normal fashion. Either as above the one phone or more say up to three?.

    There is no need whatever for the system to be connected to the PSTN at
    all, its all going to be on the same LAN 'tho part of that will be via a
    VPN...

    Bit odd but anything like this can be done using freely available
    hardware like standard VoIP ATA or gateway units or would it require
    something akin to a VoIP PABX either hardware or PC based such as
    Asterix?..

    I suppose in a way its effectively an internal conference call;)..

    TIA:)...
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Apr 22, 2009

  2. In article <>,
    tony sayer <> wrote:

    >Wonder if anyone would care to comment on this possible setup..
    >
    >We need to have a central control point that can use either an analogue
    >phone with a VoIP adapter or a standalone VoIP fone, that can when the
    >handset is picked up - or a preset number button is pushed on that,
    >dial/call up to Four distant stations all on the same LAN or VPN for
    >that matter.
    >
    >The unit will call all 4 distant locations where at each point an ATA
    >adapter or possibly standalone VoIP fone will auto answer the incoming
    >call. The auto answer will be, in the case of an ATA be done via an
    >external gubbins which will just detect the ringing volts and place a
    >hold on the line.. Unless there is an ATA or VoIP fone that will auto
    >answer?.
    >
    >It would be useful to have more than the one, perhaps up to Three phones
    >at this central point that can all do that.
    >
    >A normal phone call can then take place between the control point and
    >each outstation, there is no particular requirement for each outstation
    >to be able to talk to each other, just the central control station will
    >do. If each station can talk to the other this does not matter as such.
    >
    >At each outstation is there anyway of getting the same ATA when the
    >attached phone is "picked up" or more like the line is looped, of that
    >auto dialling the central station control point and that ringing in the
    >normal fashion. Either as above the one phone or more say up to three?.
    >
    >There is no need whatever for the system to be connected to the PSTN at
    >all, its all going to be on the same LAN 'tho part of that will be via a
    >VPN...
    >
    >Bit odd but anything like this can be done using freely available
    >hardware like standard VoIP ATA or gateway units or would it require
    >something akin to a VoIP PABX either hardware or PC based such as
    >Asterix?..
    >
    >I suppose in a way its effectively an internal conference call;)..

    A small asterisk server will do this in conjunction with VoIP phones which
    can auto-dial (batphone mode), and auto-answer and go into speaker-phone
    mode (with the right SIP header sent to them). At the cheap-end,
    Grandstream BT200s can do this. I use the auto-answer functions in the phones
    to implment a paging system (one way audio), or intercom with 2-way audio.

    I don't know about making an ATA auto-answer an analogue phone though, but
    there are ATAs that will auto-dial a number when the handset is lifted...

    If you're not up to making this yourself, drop me an email for a quote
    - this functionality is all built in to my systems as standard. (So it
    can't be that unusual as I've been asked for it in the past!)

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Apr 22, 2009