unusual problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by me, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. me

    me Guest

    I had a client computer tonight and on the computer was the antivirus
    program Defender Pro. The client complained of a problem with connecting to
    the internet or once connected, the computer would disconnect itself. The
    client also complained of constant popups and possible virus or spyware
    infection.

    after looking at the computer I attached the client hard disk to a working
    computer I have set up which has an updated antivirus program on it. I
    found 33 viruses on the computer. I also ran adaware and discovered several
    pieces of spyware on the machine.

    After deleting all of these, I reconnected the hard drive to the client
    machine and turned it on.

    While working on setting the pop up blocker and resetting the home page the
    program Defender Pro 2005 came up and began scanning the computer.

    It discovered several things that it identified as viruses, after deleting
    these I restarted the machine to test it and when the welcome screen came up
    everything was garbled and some parts appeard to be in japanese kanji, and
    others looked arabic. Everything on the start menu was the same garbled
    lettering.

    Has anyone else ever ran across this, and if so, how did you fix it?

    me, Jan 30, 2005