Unusual network setup due to hardware limitation

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UmVjb24=?=, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Greetings,

    Let me get right into the network topology to give you an idea of how my
    network is setup.

    (label this 1st machine)
    I have a wireless nic card on a desktop machine that's associated with an
    AP. That wireless connection has internet connection sharing with an ethernet
    NIC. Ethernet nic is hooked up to the "internet" port of my wireless AP. My
    AP is a linksys WRT54g which does not support "client mode" so i can't link
    it up to the AP that I'm receiving internet from. Which is why im forced to
    implement a bizzare setup (which works fine) however the problem here is:

    (label this 2nd machine)
    I got another PC that has its seperate internet connection through ethernet
    and also has a wireless nic that's associated with MY AP(that also has
    internet), however I dont want it to take internet from my ap but i do want
    it to be able to access the default gateway (192.168.1.1 the AP)so it can
    talk to the (192.168.0.1) which is the first workstation I spoke off that is
    taking internet from another AP through its wireless NIC(sharing). Disabling
    the gateway on the 2nd machine will render me unable to speak to that
    IP(192.168.0.1) because its on a different subnet and it only works at that
    ip. Is there a way to edit the routing table or somehow tell the default
    gateway of MY AP not to go beyond the 192.168.0.1?

    I hope you understand my setup, its pretty confusing.

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVjb24=?=, Dec 9, 2005

  2. I don't understand this infrastructure at all. But if a default gateway of
    192.168.1.1 gets you to 192.168.01, then this will work - Configure no
    default gateway or a fake default gateway and execute this command:

    route -p add 192.168.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Dec 10, 2005

  3. Thank you Doug, that's exactly what I was looking for. I hope my unusual
    network setup didnt cause you a migraine, because comming up with it caused
    me one lol. By the way i didnt mention the unusual "pppoe over wifi" that
    they use to provide internet (if i just had an AP that can work in client
    mode i couldve avoided all this) nevertheless it works perfectly now.

    Best Regards,

    =?Utf-8?B?UmVjb24=?=, Dec 12, 2005
  4. Yuck - another triumph of technology. Go get 'em, Recon

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Dec 12, 2005