Unsupported scanner/XP buggered

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chrisbo, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. Chrisbo

    Chrisbo Guest

    Its quite a long story, but I'd prefer to canvas opinion before
    throwing my PC out the window. (I've already thrown the scanner!)

    I installed my old Agfa SnapScan 1212p scanner, ignoring the warnings
    that it was unsupported by XP - I thought it would just be a little
    slow. I was so wrong, and now I'm stuck.

    I need to describe my set up to make this clear. I've named the
    versions of XP to make it clear.

    I have 2 harddrives. The original 20Gb, which has two versions of XP
    Home on it. My original upgrade from 98 (XP1), and a reinstall (XP2)
    when that version went wrong. Then I ran out of space, and it was a
    bit slow, so my mate installed an 80Gb drive with a SATA controller
    card, and I reinstalled XP (XP3) on here and basically ignored the
    other drive, but kept it in there so I could grab any files, etc. The
    new drive was good and fast!

    So, I installed the scanner, and on the restart (into XP3) it took
    about 30 mins to start up, rather than the normal 30 seconds!
    Eventually it gets through to windows, I select the user and go into
    the desktop (takes about an hour to get there). I tried to uninstall
    the drivers, but it tells me I don't have admin rights (which is a
    lie!). I tried to get to system restore, but there is no response.
    Nothing runs, I can just about open a few files, but it takes hours.
    Basically, its buggered.

    So, I tried restarting with the XP CD in the drive - I get the option
    of which version of windows I want to start, and it offers XP1 and
    XP2 (both of which are a bit screwed). Using the XP CD, I can't get
    into XP3 at all, it doesn't seem to see it.

    I got XP2 running again, and installed the SATA card drivers, so I now
    have access to the 80Gb drive again, but I don't know how to remove
    the offending scanner stuff from that drive.

    I'm starting to think I should back up the data to the smaller driver,
    then reformat the SATA drive and start again.

    Any suggestions about what else I can do to get it running?

    ==============

    Chrisbo, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Chrisbo

    Bob Guest

    > Its quite a long story, but I'd prefer to canvas opinion before
    > throwing my PC out the window. (I've already thrown the scanner!)
    >
    > I installed my old Agfa SnapScan 1212p scanner, ignoring the warnings
    > that it was unsupported by XP - I thought it would just be a little
    > slow. I was so wrong, and now I'm stuck.
    >
    > I need to describe my set up to make this clear. I've named the
    > versions of XP to make it clear.
    >
    > I have 2 harddrives. The original 20Gb, which has two versions of XP
    > Home on it. My original upgrade from 98 (XP1), and a reinstall (XP2)
    > when that version went wrong. Then I ran out of space, and it was a
    > bit slow, so my mate installed an 80Gb drive with a SATA controller
    > card, and I reinstalled XP (XP3) on here and basically ignored the
    > other drive, but kept it in there so I could grab any files, etc. The
    > new drive was good and fast!
    >
    > So, I installed the scanner, and on the restart (into XP3) it took
    > about 30 mins to start up, rather than the normal 30 seconds!
    > Eventually it gets through to windows, I select the user and go into
    > the desktop (takes about an hour to get there). I tried to uninstall
    > the drivers, but it tells me I don't have admin rights (which is a
    > lie!). I tried to get to system restore, but there is no response.
    > Nothing runs, I can just about open a few files, but it takes hours.
    > Basically, its buggered.
    >
    > So, I tried restarting with the XP CD in the drive - I get the option
    > of which version of windows I want to start, and it offers XP1 and
    > XP2 (both of which are a bit screwed). Using the XP CD, I can't get
    > into XP3 at all, it doesn't seem to see it.
    >
    > I got XP2 running again, and installed the SATA card drivers, so I now
    > have access to the 80Gb drive again, but I don't know how to remove
    > the offending scanner stuff from that drive.
    >
    > I'm starting to think I should back up the data to the smaller driver,
    > then reformat the SATA drive and start again.
    >
    > Any suggestions about what else I can do to get it running?

    Christ on a bike, you do like to make things complicated, don't you? OK,
    here's my recommendation:
    1. Remove the old hard drives.
    2. Remove all extraneous peripheral devices
    3. Back up and reformat the SATA drive
    4. Install Windows XP
    5. Reattach peripherals and install drivers where necessary
    6. Reattach the old hard drives and copy across the data files (and only the
    data files), then format them and use them as backup/storage devices.

    HTH

    Bob, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Chrisbo

    why? Guest

    On 7 Sep 2004 11:06:57 -0400, Chrisbo wrote:

    >Its quite a long story, but I'd prefer to canvas opinion before
    >throwing my PC out the window. (I've already thrown the scanner!)
    >
    >I installed my old Agfa SnapScan 1212p scanner, ignoring the warnings
    >that it was unsupported by XP - I thought it would just be a little
    >slow. I was so wrong, and now I'm stuck.
    >
    >I need to describe my set up to make this clear. I've named the
    >versions of XP to make it clear.
    >
    >I have 2 harddrives. The original 20Gb, which has two versions of XP
    >Home on it. My original upgrade from 98 (XP1), and a reinstall (XP2)
    >when that version went wrong. Then I ran out of space, and it was a

    <snip>

    Some advise as an aside. If you are going to make hardware changes on an
    NT class OS. Use the Hardware Profile manager. See the Help files, it's
    My Computer / Properties / Hardware / Hardware Profiles. (XP SP2 and
    similar for NT/2000)

    This always lets you reboot into the default original if a driver /
    hardware issue is causing problems.

    Basically,
    1. Before adding hardware, copy existing hardware profile.

    2. Rename it, i.e. Profile 1 (the default) and the new Profile 2 becomes
    Scanner.

    3. Reboot, pick the new hardware profile. To check it works before doing
    anything else. (It's just a copy at this point)

    4. Shutdown , add hardware.

    5. Boot into the new profile.

    6. Install Software.

    7. In each hardware profile you set in device manager - use this device
    (enabled) or do not use this device (disable).

    8. Similar for services, you can enable / disable for each profile.

    Me

    why?, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Chrisbo

    SpiderHombre Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:36:18 +0100, "Bob" <>
    wrote:

    >Christ on a bike,

    That's a new un. Christ on a bike. Is that the same as the
    expression: Jesus Christ Almighty? An old favorite of the Tennessee
    mule drivers.

    SpiderHombre, Sep 7, 2004