unsubscribe

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Patrick Baker, Jun 25, 2009.

  1. unsubscribe
    Patrick Baker, Jun 25, 2009

  2. Patrick Baker

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Patrick Baker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > unsubscribe

    noob
    Jack Spratt, Jun 25, 2009

  3. Patrick Baker

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Jack Spratt wrote:
    > "Patrick Baker" <> wrote in message
    >> unsubscribe

    > noob

    Don't you mean Googletard? <g>

    I read somewher that over 30% of all posts to usenet are now from
    GoogleGroups. As they don't do binaries that's a significant slice IMO...
    --
    Shaun.

    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll
    be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.
    ~misfit~, Jun 25, 2009
  4. In message <2bbc1c4d-55d2-4999-
    >, Patrick Baker wrote:

    > unsubscribe

    I know how you feel.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 26, 2009
  5. Patrick Baker

    fred Guest

    geoff wrote:

    > It's easy, just go to root and type fdisk /dev/hd1
    >
    > geoff

    fail.
    fred, Jun 26, 2009
  6. On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:41:05 +1200, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <2bbc1c4d-55d2-4999-
    >> >, Patrick Baker wrote:
    >>
    >>> unsubscribe

    >> I know how you feel.

    >Well just do it then.
    >
    >It's easy, just go to root and type fdisk /dev/hd1
    >
    >geoff

    You are a bit behind the times there. That should be:

    fdisk /dev/sda
    Stephen Worthington, Jun 26, 2009
  7. Patrick Baker

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-06-25, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Jack Spratt wrote:
    >> "Patrick Baker" <> wrote in message
    >>> unsubscribe

    >> noob

    > Don't you mean Googletard? <g>
    >
    > I read somewher that over 30% of all posts to usenet are now from
    > GoogleGroups. As they don't do binaries that's a significant slice IMO...

    Look, who cares where the Usenet postings come from. For Usenet has some
    great stuff without going binary. It needs to be encouraged.
    Gordon, Jun 26, 2009
  8. Patrick Baker

    victor Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2009-06-25, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Jack Spratt wrote:
    >>> "Patrick Baker" <> wrote in message
    >>> noob

    >> Don't you mean Googletard? <g>
    >>
    >> I read somewher that over 30% of all posts to usenet are now from
    >> GoogleGroups. As they don't do binaries that's a significant slice IMO...

    > Look, who cares where the Usenet postings come from. For Usenet has some
    > great stuff without going binary. It needs to be encouraged.

    I'm skeptical.
    Maybe 30% by number of posts, but not by volume.
    Most torrents are also on usenet.
    victor, Jun 26, 2009
  9. In article <h20rrh$quk$-september.org>,
    says...
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Jack Spratt wrote:
    > > "Patrick Baker" <> wrote in message
    > >> unsubscribe

    > > noob

    > Don't you mean Googletard? <g>
    >
    > I read somewher that over 30% of all posts to usenet are now from
    > GoogleGroups. As they don't do binaries that's a significant slice IMO...

    It's rather significant in many ways. There are lots of people I know
    for instance who run filters that will dump anything posted from google
    groups, because that's where a lot of spam comes from. The spam is not a
    problem for me, 'cause individual.net does such a great job filtering it
    out ... but if it was, I might also divert google originated posts
    straight to the bit bucket. Not to mention the fact that most of the US
    wingnuts and their ilk are posting to usenet (quite unwittingly) from
    google.
    Have a look at the crap in misc.rural some times if you want to
    repeatedly slap your forhead in bewilderment and disbelief. 90% of my
    bozo bin inmates stem from there ... some of them almost make
    'redbaiter' look like a sane and reasonable human bean.

    My biggest bugbear with google is though, that they've totally nerfed
    the usenet search engine. The newsgroups advanced search used to be
    fantastic, and now it's utter crap. Just can't be relied on any more,
    and that's one great internet resource gone to pot, because the usenet
    archives are/were such an incredibe repository of useful information -
    if you know how to use an advanced search engine, that is.

    I wonder what the hell the jackass was on who got assigned the job to
    replace it.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jun 27, 2009
  10. Patrick Baker

    Matty F Guest

    On Jun 27, 1:24 pm, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > My biggest bugbear with google is though, that they've totally nerfed
    > the usenet search engine. The newsgroups advanced search used to be
    > fantastic, and now it's utter crap. Just can't be relied on any more,
    > and that's one great internet resource gone to pot, because the usenet
    > archives are/were such an incredibe repository of useful information -
    > if you know how to use an advanced search engine, that is.
    >
    > I wonder what the hell the jackass was on who got assigned the job to
    > replace it.

    I don't suppose you'll see this, but I agree something has gone wrong
    with the Usenet search. I am unable to find posts that I know were
    posted a week or two ago.
    Matty F, Jun 28, 2009
  11. Patrick Baker

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-06-28, Matty F <> wrote:
    > On Jun 27, 1:24 pm, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >
    >> My biggest bugbear with google is though, that they've totally nerfed
    >> the usenet search engine. The newsgroups advanced search used to be
    >> fantastic, and now it's utter crap. Just can't be relied on any more,
    >> and that's one great internet resource gone to pot, because the usenet
    >> archives are/were such an incredibe repository of useful information -
    >> if you know how to use an advanced search engine, that is.
    >>
    >> I wonder what the hell the jackass was on who got assigned the job to
    >> replace it.

    > I don't suppose you'll see this, but I agree something has gone wrong
    > with the Usenet search. I am unable to find posts that I know were
    > posted a week or two ago.

    Is the cycle over for Google? or just a stumble? Either way an effective
    search engine for Usenet is a valuable asset.
    Gordon, Jun 28, 2009
  12. Patrick Baker

    Matty F Guest

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&