Unstable?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Puma, Nov 28, 2008.

  1. Puma

    Puma Guest

    I feel bad writing this because FF has *always* performed flawlessly for me
    since I installed its first release years ago.

    But I am having repeated crashing, one after another while just changing
    some of the 'options' settings! No tabs even open.

    In the 'Tools > options > Set Tab Mix Plus' screen about showing multiple
    levels of tabs when there are too many open for a single line (rarely, if
    ever, do I open that many but just in case...) EVERY time I went to set the
    number of levels from the default '3' down to '2' FF crashed. I mean EVERY
    time about 4-5 times in a row!

    This is nuts.

    I had written about messed up performance with the 'Beatnik' RSS reader the
    other night. I didn't really expect help on a specific add-on but it was
    having some miserable opening new tabs problems.

    I don't want Beatnik to get the blame 'cause it seems the program was OK,
    just that FF has seemed "buggy" lately and the reason for this UNSTABLE
    post. I fiddled with the tab opening settings a bunch (and had some crashes
    there, too...) and finally got Beatnik working like before. It was either
    my system or FF, itself.

    Today I'm leaning towards FF being the culprit. I have never had it act so
    unstable and crash constantly. What gives?

    I am not giving up because I still feel FF to be the superior browser but
    I'd sure like to know if there are excessive problems with this release
    (3.0.4 I believe -- the latest). Am I imagining this?

    Say it ain't so!!!

    Puma, Nov 28, 2008

  2. Puma wrote:
    > I feel bad writing this because FF has *always* performed flawlessly for me
    > since I installed its first release years ago.
    >
    > But I am having repeated crashing, one after another while just changing
    > some of the 'options' settings! No tabs even open.
    >
    > In the 'Tools > options > Set Tab Mix Plus' screen about showing multiple
    > levels of tabs when there are too many open for a single line (rarely, if
    > ever, do I open that many but just in case...) EVERY time I went to set the
    > number of levels from the default '3' down to '2' FF crashed. I mean EVERY
    > time about 4-5 times in a row!
    >
    > This is nuts.
    >
    > I had written about messed up performance with the 'Beatnik' RSS reader the
    > other night. I didn't really expect help on a specific add-on but it was
    > having some miserable opening new tabs problems.
    >
    > I don't want Beatnik to get the blame 'cause it seems the program was OK,
    > just that FF has seemed "buggy" lately and the reason for this UNSTABLE
    > post. I fiddled with the tab opening settings a bunch (and had some crashes
    > there, too...) and finally got Beatnik working like before. It was either
    > my system or FF, itself.
    >
    > Today I'm leaning towards FF being the culprit. I have never had it act so
    > unstable and crash constantly. What gives?
    >
    > I am not giving up because I still feel FF to be the superior browser but
    > I'd sure like to know if there are excessive problems with this release
    > (3.0.4 I believe -- the latest). Am I imagining this?
    >
    > Say it ain't so!!!

    I don't have a problem with it, so you need to look
    elsewhere. Since I don't know what operating system
    you're using, I'm going to guess -- windows. If so,
    then close FF, then click on the windows start button,
    then run and enter:

    firefox.exe -safe-mode

    this will start FF in safe mode, with all
    extensions/add-ons disabled. Does it still crash?

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 28, 2008

  3. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <>,
    scribbled in

    > Puma wrote:
    >> I feel bad writing this because FF has

    *always* performed flawlessly
    >> for me since I installed its first release

    years ago.

    >> But I am having repeated crashing, one after

    another while just
    >> changing some of the 'options' settings! No

    tabs even open.

    > I don't have a problem with it, so you need to

    look
    > elsewhere. Since I don't know what operating

    system
    > you're using, I'm going to guess -- windows.

    If so,
    > then close FF, then click on the windows start

    button,
    > then run and enter:
    >
    > firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >
    > this will start FF in safe mode, with all
    > extensions/add-ons disabled. Does it still

    crash?

    No, but ........ it crashed while making changes
    in "Tab Mix Plus" which is disabled in safe mode.

    I'll try an uninstall and re-install as another
    poster recommended,as

    Puma, Nov 28, 2008
  4. Puma wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <>,
    > scribbled in
    >
    >> Puma wrote:
    >>> I feel bad writing this because FF has

    > *always* performed flawlessly
    >>> for me since I installed its first release

    > years ago.
    >>> But I am having repeated crashing, one after

    > another while just
    >>> changing some of the 'options' settings! No

    > tabs even open.
    >> I don't have a problem with it, so you need to

    > look
    >> elsewhere. Since I don't know what operating

    > system
    >> you're using, I'm going to guess -- windows.

    > If so,
    >> then close FF, then click on the windows start

    > button,
    >> then run and enter:
    >>
    >> firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >>
    >> this will start FF in safe mode, with all
    >> extensions/add-ons disabled. Does it still

    > crash?
    >
    > No, but ........ it crashed while making changes
    > in "Tab Mix Plus" which is disabled in safe mode.
    >
    > I'll try an uninstall and re-install as another
    > poster recommended,as

    no, don't do that. Instead, close FF, then click on
    the windows start button, then run and enter:

    firefox.exe -p

    this will start the FF profile manager. Create a test
    profile and see if FF crashes in that.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 29, 2008
  5. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <>, scribbled in news:ggqnhv$k3d
    $:

    > Puma wrote:
    >

    >>> this will start FF in safe mode, with all
    >>> extensions/add-ons disabled. Does it still

    >> crash?
    >>
    >> No, but ........ it crashed while making changes
    >> in "Tab Mix Plus" which is disabled in safe mode.
    >>
    >> I'll try an uninstall and re-install as another
    >> poster recommended,as
    >>

    > no, don't do that. Instead, close FF, then click on
    > the windows start button, then run and enter:
    >
    > firefox.exe -p
    >
    > this will start the FF profile manager. Create a test
    > profile and see if FF crashes in that.

    OK, I did as you recommend. I made up a test profile and then installed
    Tab Mix Plus from the add-ons page.

    I went to the "display" tab and set the option for multi-line tabs (in
    FF) when the tab bar is overloaded and set the number of lines from the
    default 3 down to 2 -- which is what I had been trying to do originally
    in FF when it kept repeatedly crashing -- and I had no crashes. I had no
    bookmarks and/or other extensions or themes, but at least FF didn't
    crash.

    So I've got a "plain Jane" FF test profile that doesn't crash and my
    original one that does. Next?

    I appreciate your time and help.

    Puma, Nov 29, 2008
  6. Puma wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <>, scribbled in news:ggqnhv$k3d
    > $:

    >>> crash?
    >>>
    >>> No, but ........ it crashed while making changes
    >>> in "Tab Mix Plus" which is disabled in safe mode.
    >>>
    >>> I'll try an uninstall and re-install as another
    >>> poster recommended,as
    >>>

    >> no, don't do that. Instead, close FF, then click on
    >> the windows start button, then run and enter:
    >>
    >> firefox.exe -p
    >>
    >> this will start the FF profile manager. Create a test
    >> profile and see if FF crashes in that.

    > OK, I did as you recommend. I made up a test profile and then installed
    > Tab Mix Plus from the add-ons page.
    >
    > I went to the "display" tab and set the option for multi-line tabs (in
    > FF) when the tab bar is overloaded and set the number of lines from the
    > default 3 down to 2 -- which is what I had been trying to do originally
    > in FF when it kept repeatedly crashing -- and I had no crashes. I had no
    > bookmarks and/or other extensions or themes, but at least FF didn't
    > crash.
    >
    > So I've got a "plain Jane" FF test profile that doesn't crash and my
    > original one that does. Next?
    >
    > I appreciate your time and help.

    since it didn't crash or anything, then in the other
    profile, you have a bad extension. Dissable them all
    and re-enable them one at a time until you find the one
    thats causing the crashes

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Nov 29, 2008
  7. Puma

    > Puma wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <>, scribbled in
    >> news:ggqnhv$k3d $:

    >>> no, don't do that. Instead, close FF, then click on
    >>> the windows start button, then run and enter:
    >>>
    >>> firefox.exe -p
    >>>
    >>> this will start the FF profile manager. Create a test
    >>> profile and see if FF crashes in that.

    >> OK, I did as you recommend. I made up a test profile and then
    >> installed Tab Mix Plus from the add-ons page.
    >>
    >> I went to the "display" tab and set the option for multi-line tabs
    >> (in FF) when the tab bar is overloaded and set the number of lines
    >> from the default 3 down to 2 -- which is what I had been trying to do
    >> originally in FF when it kept repeatedly crashing -- and I had no
    >> crashes. I had no bookmarks and/or other extensions or themes, but at
    >> least FF didn't crash.
    >>
    >> So I've got a "plain Jane" FF test profile that doesn't crash and my
    >> original one that does. Next?
    >>
    >> I appreciate your time and help.

    > since it didn't crash or anything, then in the other
    > profile, you have a bad extension. Dissable them all
    > and re-enable them one at a time until you find the one
    > thats causing the crashes

    Will do and thanks again.

    Puma, Nov 29, 2008
  8. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Re: Unstable? II

    Puma <>, scribbled in

    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > <>, scribbled in
    >
    >> Puma wrote:
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >>> <>, scribbled in
    >>> news:ggqnhv$k3d $:

    >>> OK, I did as you recommend. I made up a test profile and then
    >>> installed Tab Mix Plus from the add-ons page.
    >>>
    >>> I went to the "display" tab and set the option for multi-line tabs
    >>> (in FF) when the tab bar is overloaded and set the number of lines
    >>> from the default 3 down to 2 -- which is what I had been trying to do
    >>> originally in FF when it kept repeatedly crashing -- and I had no
    >>> crashes. I had no bookmarks and/or other extensions or themes, but at
    >>> least FF didn't crash.
    >>>
    >>> So I've got a "plain Jane" FF test profile that doesn't crash and my
    >>> original one that does. Next?
    >>>
    >>> I appreciate your time and help.

    >> since it didn't crash or anything, then in the other
    >> profile, you have a bad extension. Dissable them all
    >> and re-enable them one at a time until you find the one
    >> thats causing the crashes

    > Will do and thanks again.

    I disabled all extensions and Tab Mix Plus would still cause a crash upon
    changing the number of lines of tabs in the tab bar with a lot of
    extensions open.

    But something curious happened -- the default number of lines is 3. I was
    changing the number to 2 and it ALWAYS crashed. But when I would try to
    change to 4 FF wouldn't crash! I could change up but not down.

    Is this the most freaky thing? I'm wondering if this is all something on
    my end and not FF at all. At which point you'll be pissed at me and never
    help again! (haha)

    So having 3 lines of tabs when there's too many tabs open to fit in one
    line ain't so bad. Two would have been OK but I never open that many tabs
    at once so it's no big deal. Besides, if I ever do get too many tabs open
    and I fill only 2 of 3 possible lines, what's the difference...?

    I'm gonna go check some other stuff on my computer for problems -- and it
    is Windows XP SP3 as you had deduced earlier.

    Thaks again for all your time and help.

    Puma, Nov 30, 2008
  9. Puma

    Justin Guest

    Re: Unstable? II

    Puma wrote on [Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:39:30 GMT]:
    > Puma <>, scribbled in
    >
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <>, scribbled in

    >>> since it didn't crash or anything, then in the other
    >>> profile, you have a bad extension. Dissable them all
    >>> and re-enable them one at a time until you find the one
    >>> thats causing the crashes

    >> Will do and thanks again.

    > I disabled all extensions and Tab Mix Plus would still cause a crash upon
    > changing the number of lines of tabs in the tab bar with a lot of
    > extensions open.
    >
    > But something curious happened -- the default number of lines is 3. I was
    > changing the number to 2 and it ALWAYS crashed. But when I would try to
    > change to 4 FF wouldn't crash! I could change up but not down.

    After you changed it to 4, did you change it back to 3.

    Perhaps the number of lines being 2 is the problem

    Justin, Dec 1, 2008
  10. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Re: Unstable? II

    Justin <>, scribbled in

    > Puma wrote on [Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:39:30 GMT]:
    >> Puma <>, scribbled in
    >>
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >>> <>, scribbled in

    >>> Will do and thanks again.

    >> I disabled all extensions and Tab Mix Plus would still cause a crash
    >> upon changing the number of lines of tabs in the tab bar with a lot
    >> of extensions open.
    >>
    >> But something curious happened -- the default number of lines is 3. I
    >> was changing the number to 2 and it ALWAYS crashed. But when I would
    >> try to change to 4 FF wouldn't crash! I could change up but not down.

    > After you changed it to 4, did you change it back to 3.
    >
    > Perhaps the number of lines being 2 is the problem

    I could change it back and forth from 3 to 4 and back to 3 but ONLY when
    I clicked on 2 did I get the error box before I could click on 'apply'.
    It crashes quick.

    Puma, Dec 1, 2008
  11. Puma

    Puma Guest

    Re: Unstable? Intensifying!

    > I disabled all extensions and Tab Mix Plus would still cause a crash
    > upon changing the number of lines of tabs in the tab bar with a lot of
    > extensions open.

    Now I just went and disabled all add-ons in FF and my financial website
    would crash FF when I clicked on some view screen or clicked to retrieve a
    message I was alerted to in the financial website.

    FF crashed each time I'd click to see my statement or to see this message I
    had. All add-ons disabled and it crashed.

    Went and changed the profiles to the plain "test" one I created the other
    day. No add-ons and same problem as above.

    So FF with no add-ons and my default profile crashes on some sites when
    accessing sub-menus (?) within the website. FF with the new, test profile
    and no add-ons crashes FF the same way.

    This is perplexing. I had to go to IE to finally check my financial site
    and click on stuff within.

    Help?

    Thanks for any and all help.

    Puma, Dec 1, 2008