    photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the majority
    of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set to
    normal. regards, David

    Onepercentf, Jan 7, 2004

  2. Onepercentf

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    Everyone seems to have different preferences. For web and e-mail sizes, I
    use the a radius of 0.3 and as much percent as I can get by with without
    halos. For full-size images for printing, a larger radius more like you
    mentioned.

    "Onepercentf" <> wrote in message
    > I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask

    in

    Mick Ruthven, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Onepercentf

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask

    in
    > photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the

    majority
    > of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set

    > normal. regards, David

    Slippery slope Dave.
    Depends on how you exposed the photo in the first place. Do you really need
    to sharpen?
    This totally depends on your vision of the scene. No right answer.

    Jim Waggener, Jan 7, 2004
  4. "Onepercentf" <> wrote in message
    > I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask

    in
    > photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the

    majority
    > of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set

    > normal. regards, David

    USM settings really need to be varied to suit your capture and output (&
    taste). If you're making inkjet prints of around A4 to A3 size from your 10D
    captures then you could try this (turn the in-camera sharpening 'off')...
    http://www.lindev.org/10D-sharpening/ . It's free, has had thousands of
    downloads, and has lots of very happy users. For Web-sized JPEG's try a
    duplicate layer set to luminosity blending over the original with a USM
    setting of 500 / 0.3 / 0, and the dup.layers opacity set to around 20-35%

    Simon

    Simon Stanmore, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Onepercentf

    Guest

    Onepercentf <> wrote:
    > I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask in
    > photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the majority
    > of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set to
    > normal. regards, David

    My camera is a EOS 300D and I try to avoid the use of sharpening in Photoshop
    as much as possible. Its a matter of personal preference and the type of
    photography you do, not to mention the lens you use. I think unsharp mask
    gives an artificial kind of quality to the landscapes I shoot.

    , Jan 7, 2004
  6. Onepercentf

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <Xp0Lb.8055$>, Mick
    Ruthven <> writes
    >Everyone seems to have different preferences. For web and e-mail sizes, I
    >use the a radius of 0.3 and as much percent as I can get by with without
    >halos. For full-size images for printing, a larger radius more like you
    >mentioned.
    >
    >"Onepercentf" <> wrote in message
    >> I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask

    >in
    >> photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the

    >majority
    >> of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set

    >> normal. regards, David

    For web use, around 150% at 0.5, large prints 1.0. Threshold depends on
    image noise, but usually in the low single figures.

    An interesting contrast enhancement can be achieved with a setting of
    about 20% with a radius of 70 - 80. Anyone else tried this? It seems to
    have no effect on some images, yet others are dramatically improved, at
    least to my eye.
    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Jan 7, 2004
  7. (Onepercentf) wrote in
    > I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for
    > unsharp mask in photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and
    > threshold 3 for the majority of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D,
    > and all in-camera parameters are set to normal. regards, David

    I've always wondered why the command is called "unsharp mask". What
    the hell does that mean? It sounds like the opposite of what it does
    - it SHARPENS the image.

    The only logical explanation I came up with is that "unsharp mask"
    means you are applying a mask that corrects an unsharp image.

    But it really isn't a mask, is it? Isn't a mask a separate layer
    that alters the appearance of the underlying image without
    permanently changing it?

    Please explain to me the logical meaning of the term "unsharp mask".

    Tony Whitaker, Jan 7, 2004
  8. Onepercentf

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "> I've always wondered why the command is called "unsharp mask". What
    > the hell does that mean? It sounds like the opposite of what it does
    > - it SHARPENS the image.
    >
    > The only logical explanation I came up with is that "unsharp mask"
    > means you are applying a mask that corrects an unsharp image.
    >
    > But it really isn't a mask, is it? Isn't a mask a separate layer
    > that alters the appearance of the underlying image without
    > permanently changing it?
    >
    > Please explain to me the logical meaning of the term "unsharp mask".

    There is no logic. Selecting "sharpen" from the same menu gives no result
    that I can see.
    I think it is a Yogi-ism ...

    Jim Waggener, Jan 8, 2004
  9. Onepercentf

    IK Guest

    In article <Xns9469BEB723FF5lettonyin@207.69.154.203>,
    says...
    > (Onepercentf) wrote in
    > > I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for
    > > unsharp mask in photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and
    > > threshold 3 for the majority of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D,
    > > and all in-camera parameters are set to normal. regards, David

    > I've always wondered why the command is called "unsharp mask". What
    > the hell does that mean? It sounds like the opposite of what it does
    > - it SHARPENS the image.
    >
    > The only logical explanation I came up with is that "unsharp mask"
    > means you are applying a mask that corrects an unsharp image.
    >
    > But it really isn't a mask, is it? Isn't a mask a separate layer
    > that alters the appearance of the underlying image without
    > permanently changing it?
    >
    > Please explain to me the logical meaning of the term "unsharp mask".

    Its name comes from a traditional darkroom procedure. Sharpening was done
    by adding an unsharp positive copy of the negative as a mask under the
    enlarger. Effectively you are sharpening the image by masking the
    unsharpness.

    IK, Jan 8, 2004
  10. Onepercentf

    Flycaster Guest

    > I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask

    in
    > photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the

    majority
    > of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set

    > normal. regards, David

    Personally, I'm all over the map, not only in amount but also in technique;
    it just depends on the image, the output device, and the output size.

    BTW, if you are shooting JPEG's in your 10D, you do realize that "normal"
    already includes default sharpening, yes?

    Flycaster, Jan 8, 2004
  11. IK <> wrote in
    > Its name comes from a traditional darkroom procedure. Sharpening
    > was done by adding an unsharp positive copy of the negative as a
    > mask under the enlarger. Effectively you are sharpening the image
    > by masking the unsharpness.

    Thank you so much. You don't know what a relief it is to now know.

    Tony Whitaker, Jan 8, 2004
  12. Onepercentf

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <Xns9469CE59A26EElettonyin@207.69.154.202>,
    says...
    > Thank you so much. You don't know what a relief it is to now know.

    Just to let everyone know how old I am....

    Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz,,,, OH! What a relief it is?????

    Anyone ELSE remember that????
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery

    Larry Lynch, Jan 8, 2004
  13. Onepercentf

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Larry Lynch et

    >Just to let everyone know how old I am....
    >
    >Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz,,,, OH! What a relief it is?????
    >
    >Anyone ELSE remember that????

    How do YOU spell "relief" Larry?

    R-O- .....

    Bill Hilton, Jan 8, 2004
  14. Onepercentf

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <20040107204028.15398.00002793@mb-
    m04.aol.com>, dy says...

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Lasting Imagery

    Larry Lynch, Jan 8, 2004
  15. Onepercentf

    Guest

    In message <>,
    (Onepercentf) wrote:

    >I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask in
    >photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the majority
    >of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set to
    >normal. regards, David

    It depends on the source of the image. If it is full-res from my DSLR,
    then I will use a radius of 0.3 or 0.4 and an amount of 300 to 500%.
    With a full-res image, this does not cause halos or clipping.

    For images that I have downsized, I tend to use 0.5 px and about 50% to
    150%.

    I only use radii of 1.0 or greater for flat pictures that have no zing.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jan 8, 2004
  16. Onepercentf

    Guest

    In message <bti4db$sbd$>,
    wrote:

    >Onepercentf <> wrote:
    >> I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask in
    >> photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the majority
    >> of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set to
    >> normal. regards, David

    >My camera is a EOS 300D and I try to avoid the use of sharpening in Photoshop
    >as much as possible. Its a matter of personal preference and the type of
    >photography you do, not to mention the lens you use. I think unsharp mask
    >gives an artificial kind of quality to the landscapes I shoot.

    Then you're not using it right. If what youa re doing is trying to
    recapture the detail softened by the anti-aliasing filter, try 0.3
    pixels with 200 to 500%.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jan 8, 2004
  17. "Onepercentf" <> wrote in message
    > I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask

    in
    > photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the

    majority
    > of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set

    > normal. regards, David

    I haven't used USM since I bought my SD9 (maybe on 1 or 2 of ~7000 for
    slight missed focus). But that seems like an awful lot even for a Bayer
    camera. If you do that, make sure you are working with a lossless version
    of the original image and not a JPEG, or you'll heavily sharpen compression
    artifacts as well.

    George Preddy, Jan 8, 2004
  18. Onepercentf

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    In article <>,
    Larry Lynch <> wrote:

    > In article <Xns9469CE59A26EElettonyin@207.69.154.202>,
    > says...
    > > Thank you so much. You don't know what a relief it is to now know.
    > >

    > Just to let everyone know how old I am....
    >
    > Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz,,,, OH! What a relief it is?????
    >
    > Anyone ELSE remember that????

    You mean the little cartoon character "Speedy" ? :)

    He was retired in favor of the Italian guy that ate all the spicy
    meatballs.

    --
    Rudy Garcia

    Rudy Garcia, Jan 8, 2004
  19. In article <>,
    (Onepercentf) wrote:

    > I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask in
    > photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the majority
    > of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set to
    > normal. regards, David

    You can also use a very large radius to add contrast to a dull image.
    Say, 75 pixels by 15%.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jan 8, 2004
  20. Onepercentf

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Onepercentf <> wrote:
    >I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask in
    >photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the majority
    >of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set to
    >normal.

    I too use a 10D. I import pictures into Photoshop using ACR with sharpening
    completely disabled. When I'm ready, I use one of two actions to sharpen
    them. The first does an unsharp mask of 300%, 0.4 pixels, threshold 1
    followed by an unsharp mask of 30%, 10 pixels, threshold 1. This generally
    looks quite good for screen display. The second action, which I call
    "aggressive sharpen" does 500%, 0.5, 0 followed by 30%, 10, 0, which works
    well for prints of some landscape shots and architectural shots. YMMV.

    Chris Brown, Jan 8, 2004