  1. no

    no Guest

    Is this more effective than just doing unsharp mask on an RGB image?
    no, Jun 17, 2004

  2. no wrote:

    > Is this more effective than just doing unsharp mask on an RGB image?

    It's lower noise and cleaner.

    David
    David Kilpatrick, Jun 17, 2004

  3. no

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "no"

    >Is this more effective than just doing unsharp mask on an RGB image?

    As David said it does have advantages (and I use a custom action by Bill
    Atkinson to do edge sharpening in LAB mode myself).

    If you don't want to convert to LAB mode though you can get a similar effect by
    doing this step immediately after you run USM in RGB mode ... Edit > Fade
    Unsharp Mask and change Mode to Luminosity. You have to do this as the next
    step after USM since the Edit > Fade command only works on the last command.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Jun 17, 2004
  4. no

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "no" <> stated that:

    >Is this more effective than just doing unsharp mask on an RGB image?

    Yes, because it doen't cause colour distortion. I always do any
    sharpening in only the luma channel.

    Lionel, Jun 17, 2004