    thanks for any advice/help!
    --
    Laura
    =?Utf-8?B?c2hhZG93Y2F0Y2Fu?=, May 22, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?c2hhZG93Y2F0Y2Fu?=

    barb bowman Guest

    See if
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx
    helps.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    barb bowman, May 22, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?c2hhZG93Y2F0Y2Fu?=

    Lem Guest

    shadowcatcan wrote:
    > Can anyone assist me in making my network secure? I've done all of the
    > wizards that I can find, but none offer me this option. Whenever I connect,
    > I see two networks available, one is mine and says unsecured and another
    > which is not mine, that is password protected. I believe someone else was
    > using our network today and am worried this could cause some problems in
    > future.
    >
    > thanks for any advice/help!

    I can't do better than MS-MVP Malke (from whom the following was copied):

    Here are links to help you:

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

    You first need to determine if your hardware - all parts: the router and
    the network adapter card(s) - support WPA. If one part does *not*, you
    will need to either update its firmware and/or drivers or just use WEP.
    You will set your router up (usually from a browser - consult the
    manual) and select your encryption method and key. Most often you will
    enter a passphrase to generate a key. You will not use the passphrase
    again - you will enter the key on the laptop.
    Lem, May 22, 2005