unsecured wireless network logged in no internet

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by xzerox, Feb 2, 2008.

  1. xzerox

    xzerox

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    hello all,

    I have a wireless networking issue that this hotel cannot handle and thought one of you may be able to help so i can respond to some emails and use the internet over the next week in barcelona.

    The connection is wireless that they have here and it as a great signal in my room. it is 802.11b and i can connect to it easily. it is an unsecured connection.

    When i try to use the internet in any way, ie, firefox, msn, it does not work. They told me that it should somehow come up and ask me to enter a user name and password which i have and am ready to enter. How this would happen on an unsecured connection i do not know but apparently when you load IE or firefox it should request it. It does not however and hence the internet does not work.

    I have checked the setting on a computer that has somehow managed to connect to the internet through the connection and it has open settings with deecryption disabled.

    Any ideas would be great as using internet in my room this week would be much easier than webmail in the lobby.

    the computer is a ibm z61m and has a 3915 ABG wireless network card.

    thanks in advance...

    ----------- i will transfer 10USD to anyone who can help me solve the problem assuming it gets solved (on FTP)-------------

    xzerox, Feb 2, 2008