    I'm on Windows 2000 SP4, fully patched and can't see what else I could do.
    Any ideas?

    thanks
    Deano, May 21, 2006

  2. Deano

    Mike Easter Guest

    Deano wrote:
    > I'm using my new external hard disk (a Seagate unit) connected by USB
    > but every so often I get this message "Unsafe removal of device"
    > (which is most often displayed when you don't stop a device before
    > physically removing it e.g USB flash drive) and then a message
    > stating I may have lost data.
    >
    > This interrupts my BitTorrent download which is using that drive and
    > I have to restart it. I can usually access the drive after this
    > message so I'm not sure why it keeps happening. This is not just
    > related to BitTorrent. The drive behaves like this quite often under
    > general usage.
    >
    > I'm on Windows 2000 SP4, fully patched and can't see what else I
    > could do. Any ideas?

    It sounds to me like you have the effect 'like' a poor USB physical
    connection - being interpreted as 'removal'.

    Since the Seagate is new, my index of suspicion is that it is the
    physical connection, the Seagate itself, or the USB port you are
    connected.

    My first troubleshooting step would be to check the appearance of the
    connection, then to move the Seagate to a different USB, but in the
    meantime open a channel of communication between you and Seagate or the
    merchant in case you are going to be needing to exchange the Seagate for
    another.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 21, 2006

  3. Deano

    Tab Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using my new external hard disk (a Seagate unit) connected by USB but
    > every so often I get this message "Unsafe removal of device" (which is
    > most
    > often displayed when you don't stop a device before physically removing it
    > e.g USB flash drive) and then a message stating I may have lost data.
    >
    > This interrupts my BitTorrent download which is using that drive and I
    > have
    > to restart it. I can usually access the drive after this message so I'm
    > not
    > sure why it keeps happening. This is not just related to BitTorrent. The
    > drive behaves like this quite often under general usage.
    >
    > I'm on Windows 2000 SP4, fully patched and can't see what else I could do.
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > thanks

    With winxp I get a icon in Notification area that I use to safely disconnect
    usb equipment
    Tab, May 21, 2006
  4. Deano

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote:

    >I'm using my new external hard disk (a Seagate unit) connected by USB but
    >every so often I get this message "Unsafe removal of device" (which is most
    >often displayed when you don't stop a device before physically removing it
    >e.g USB flash drive) and then a message stating I may have lost data.
    >
    >This interrupts my BitTorrent download which is using that drive and I have
    >to restart it. I can usually access the drive after this message so I'm not
    >sure why it keeps happening. This is not just related to BitTorrent. The
    >drive behaves like this quite often under general usage.
    >
    >I'm on Windows 2000 SP4, fully patched and can't see what else I could do.
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >thanks

    I would suspect a problem with the physical connection to the drive.

    Try connecting it to a different USB port and/or using a different USB
    cable.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, May 21, 2006
  5. Deano

    Deano Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message

    > I would suspect a problem with the physical connection to the drive.
    >
    > Try connecting it to a different USB port and/or using a different USB
    > cable.

    Thanks for the suggestions to try a different connection - I have and it
    seems to have calmed down considerably this evening and no spontaneous
    disconnections.
    Deano, May 21, 2006