    Norton Antivirus 2003 being operational on my system?, and if so can you
    offer any suggestions?

    Ian Bromley
    Ian Bromley, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Ian Bromley

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Ian Bromley tried to scribble ...

    > I have been receiving EMails from friends, with attachments, which I
    > am unable to open. This is due to access being removed by Outlook
    > Express (which is operated by BT Openworld). The message I receive on
    > opening the Email is:
    >
    > OE removed Access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail.
    >
    > I would be grateful if you could guide me as to how to disable this
    > function as I wish to open attachments sent. Also, could this be as a
    > result of Norton Antivirus 2003 being operational on my system?, and
    > if so can you offer any suggestions?
    >
    > Ian Bromley

    Tools Options - Security ...

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    http://www.tvlicensing.biz/
    Paul - xxx, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Ian Bromley

    HamMan Guest

    "Ian Bromley" <> wrote in message
    > I have been receiving EMails from friends, with attachments, which I am
    > unable to open. This is due to access being removed by Outlook Express
    > (which is operated by BT Openworld). The message I receive on opening the
    > Email is:
    >
    > OE removed Access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail.
    >
    > I would be grateful if you could guide me as to how to disable this

    function
    > as I wish to open attachments sent. Also, could this be as a result of
    > Norton Antivirus 2003 being operational on my system?, and if so can you
    > offer any suggestions?
    >
    > Ian Bromley

    Dont people even check the archives or google before they post anymore.

    I'm making a stand, from now on noone should post the answer to this damned
    question
    HamMan, Jul 28, 2003
  4. Ian Bromley

    rifleman Guest

    In article <bg41sj$2r3$>,
    took up the quill and scribed...
    > I have been receiving EMails from friends, with attachments, which I am
    > unable to open. This is due to access being removed by Outlook Express
    > (which is operated by BT Openworld). The message I receive on opening the
    > Email is:
    >
    > OE removed Access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail.
    >
    > I would be grateful if you could guide me as to how to disable this function
    > as I wish to open attachments sent. Also, could this be as a result of
    > Norton Antivirus 2003 being operational on my system?, and if so can you
    > offer any suggestions?
    >
    > Ian Bromley

    Outlook Express is NOT "operated by BT Openworld" it's operated by YOU.
    Try reading Help-Readme. It'll tell you all about it.
    --
    (I may be wrong...I usually am....)
    Google is your Friend
    rifleman, Jul 28, 2003
  5. Ian Bromley

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Ian Bromley said:

    > I have been receiving EMails from friends, with attachments, which I am
    > unable to open. This is due to access being removed by Outlook Express
    > (which is operated by BT Openworld). The message I receive on opening the
    > Email is:
    >
    > OE removed Access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail.
    >
    > I would be grateful if you could guide me as to how to disable this function
    > as I wish to open attachments sent. Also, could this be as a result of
    > Norton Antivirus 2003 being operational on my system?, and if so can you
    > offer any suggestions?
    >
    > Ian Bromley

    Try looking through your Options, or een try reading your help files.
    Or you could try searching for the hundreds of thousands of posts regarding this
    issue.
    Or you could just post back in a while and say that you can't be bothered to
    look for yourself, you just want someone to answer the question for you as you
    are too damned lazy to use your own brain.
    Brian H¹©, Jul 28, 2003
  6. Ian Bromley

    trout Guest

    rifleman wrote:

    > In article <bg41sj$2r3$>,
    > took up the quill and scribed...
    >> I have been receiving EMails from friends, with attachments, which I
    >> am unable to open. This is due to access being removed by Outlook
    >> Express (which is operated by BT Openworld).

    <snip>

    > Outlook Express is NOT "operated by BT Openworld" it's operated by
    > YOU.
    > Try reading Help-Readme. It'll tell you all about it.

    He's no doubt referring to that inane 'branding'. As though you need
    to look at an advertisement every day for a service you're paying for. I
    got rid of *that* mighty quick.
    --
    "Another reason not to use ISP installation disks."
    trout, Jul 28, 2003
  7. Ian Bromley

    Unk Guest

    Run Outlook; click Tools, Options, "Security" tab.
    Uncheck the box, "Do not allow attachments to be saved
    or opened that could potentially be a virus"

    Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329570

    OLEXP: Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;Q291387

    Unk

    Unk, Jul 28, 2003
  8. Ian Bromley

    anthonyberet Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > rifleman said:
    >
    >> In article <bg44mm$k84s9$-berlin.de>, me2
    >> @privacy.net took up the quill and scribed...

    >>> <snip>

    >>> He's no doubt referring to that inane 'branding'. As though you
    >>> need to look at an advertisement every day for a service you're
    >>> paying for. I got rid of *that* mighty quick.
    >>>

    >> Too right - I even signed up for NTL World without using their CD!

    > Don't need the cd, it only contains Netscape, and a link to their
    > join-up page.

    Doesn't it have that "gearbox" crap anymore?
    bounce.
    anthonyberet
    anthonyberet, Jul 28, 2003
  9. Ian Bromley

    anthonyberet Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > I was cleaning up the mess after Bill Schowengerdt's terrible
    > attempt to apply pressure to stop the bleeding when anthonyberet said:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© wrote:

    >>> Don't need the cd, it only contains Netscape, and a link to their
    >>> join-up page.

    >> Doesn't it have that "gearbox" crap anymore?

    > Not with the broadband connection, I don't know about the dial-up
    > accounts though.

    Well I left NTL some time ago... (although amusingly, they do still keep
    sending me bills..)
    bounce.
    anthonyberet
    anthonyberet, Jul 29, 2003
  10. Ian Bromley

    Brian H¹© Guest

    anthonyberet said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >> I was cleaning up the mess after Bill Schowengerdt's terrible
    >> attempt to apply pressure to stop the bleeding when anthonyberet said:

    >>> Doesn't it have that "gearbox" crap anymore?

    >> Not with the broadband connection, I don't know about the dial-up
    >> accounts though.

    > Well I left NTL some time ago... (although amusingly, they do still keep
    > sending me bills..)

    I keep getting bills from British Gas, this place is all electric, not a gas
    meter in sight :-S
    Brian H¹©, Jul 29, 2003
  11. Ian Bromley

    TCEBob Guest

    Can't help pitching in here on behalf of all (us) dumb
    schmucks who ask stupid, lazy questions.

    You're sitting at your desk, say, and you can't remember how
    to spell "Antigone." So you yell out "Hey, anyone know how
    to spell "Antigone"? And some smartass calls back, "Hey,
    stupid, look it up. That was just asked last week".

    Well, sorry! Would it have killed you to just say
    "a-n-t-i-g-o-n-e," and let it go? Is this an ego thing, you
    feel you have to dump on us lesser beings for asking a
    simple question? What does the phrase
    "24hoursupport.helpdesk" mean, exactly? Maybe
    "24hoursupport.wekickyourbutt"?

    If you don't want to answer a dumb question, good, don't
    answer it. Who nominated you classroom monitor?

    RS
    TCEBob, Jul 29, 2003
  12. Ian Bromley

    Michael Guest

    In <news:D>,
    TCEBob said:

    > Can't help pitching in here on behalf of all (us) dumb
    > schmucks who ask stupid, lazy questions.
    >
    > You're sitting at your desk, say, and you can't remember how
    > to spell "Antigone." So you yell out "Hey, anyone know how
    > to spell "Antigone"? And some smartass calls back, "Hey,
    > stupid, look it up. That was just asked last week".
    >
    > Well, sorry! Would it have killed you to just say
    > "a-n-t-i-g-o-n-e," and let it go? Is this an ego thing, you
    > feel you have to dump on us lesser beings for asking a
    > simple question? What does the phrase
    > "24hoursupport.helpdesk" mean, exactly? Maybe
    > "24hoursupport.wekickyourbutt"?
    >
    > If you don't want to answer a dumb question, good, don't
    > answer it. Who nominated you classroom monitor?
    >
    > RS

    Just so you know... and for reference, should you ever find yourself on the
    other side of the fence...

    While there really is the occasional newbie who really can't do much for
    him/herself at all without some prompting, it's irritating to know that
    there are are so many other people who *will* not do anything for
    themselves... not even the trifling task of typing one single word or short
    phrase into Google's search box... and prefer instead to act as though
    others - having nothing better to do with the time on their hans - are their
    servants.

    ((U))
    "Who nominated you advice-column writer?"
    Michael, Jul 29, 2003
  13. Ian Bromley

    trout Guest

    TCEBob wrote:

    > Can't help pitching in here on behalf of all (us) dumb
    > schmucks who ask stupid, lazy questions.
    >
    > You're sitting at your desk, say, and you can't remember how
    > to spell "Antigone." So you yell out "Hey, anyone know how
    > to spell "Antigone"? And some smartass calls back, "Hey,
    > stupid, look it up. That was just asked last week".
    >
    > Well, sorry! Would it have killed you to just say
    > "a-n-t-i-g-o-n-e," and let it go? Is this an ego thing, you
    > feel you have to dump on us lesser beings for asking a
    > simple question? What does the phrase
    > "24hoursupport.helpdesk" mean, exactly? Maybe
    > "24hoursupport.wekickyourbutt"?
    >
    > If you don't want to answer a dumb question, good, don't
    > answer it. Who nominated you classroom monitor?
    >
    > RS

    His question was answered correctly, by the first responder, in
    thirteen minutes. Who cares who posts what after that? Who nominated
    *you* classroom monitor?
    --
    "Do you actually believe that your superior brand of bitching and
    moaning is *more* 'helpful'?"
    trout, Jul 29, 2003
  14. Ian Bromley

    Jimchip Guest

    Oh no, not another one <sigh>

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:54:35 -0400, TCEBob wrote:
    > Can't help pitching in here on behalf of all (us) dumb
    > schmucks who ask stupid, lazy questions.

    Very few are as clueless as you.

    [snip]

    --
    "Who nominated you classroom monitor?"
    Jimchip, Jul 29, 2003
  15. Ian Bromley

    TCEBob Guest

    Absolutely. Superior bitching an moaning is the best kind. I
    mean, it doesn't really help Ian, who by now is nursing a
    bunch of dope slaps. But I have been the butt of ridicule
    from my superiors for asking questions. To me, they were
    legitimate matters of concern, but to the more experienced
    they were dull and repetitive. I went away with flaming
    cheeks and no actual info.

    But, of course, you have a good point. Nobody elected me
    anything. But I'm not bitching and moaning about any
    particular respondant. Rather, just trying to remind folks
    that most everyone needs to ask sometimes.

    rs
    TCEBob, Jul 29, 2003
  16. Ian Bromley

    TCEBob Guest

    Jim, I didn't see your name in the preceeding dialog, where
    you would fit in so well.

    In honor of forthcoming bedtime, and without expectation of
    contradiction, I nominate and name *you* Classroom Monitor.
    Wear it in good humor.

    RS
    TCEBob, Jul 29, 2003
  17. Ian Bromley

    trout Guest

    TCEBob wrote:

    > Absolutely. Superior bitching an moaning is the best kind. I
    > mean, it doesn't really help Ian, who by now is nursing a
    > bunch of dope slaps. But I have been the butt of ridicule
    > from my superiors for asking questions. To me, they were
    > legitimate matters of concern, but to the more experienced
    > they were dull and repetitive. I went away with flaming
    > cheeks and no actual info.
    >
    > But, of course, you have a good point. Nobody elected me
    > anything. But I'm not bitching and moaning about any
    > particular respondant. Rather, just trying to remind folks
    > that most everyone needs to ask sometimes.
    >
    > rs

    It's not untrue that some people act in very silly ways when
    'answering' questions that they're not obliged to, and behaving as
    though they were.
    But when you start supplying these 'friendly reminders' by the
    fourth post after your arrival; let's just say that you're not going to
    be inspiring goodwill and happiness.
    Now, speaking of friendly reminders, could you please include some
    of the quoted text in your replies.
    (Tools > Options > Send > "Include message in reply".)
    --
    "Thank you. Relax. Have a sandwich."
    trout, Jul 29, 2003
  18. Ian Bromley

    TCEBob Guest

    Um, how long does one have to wait, here? You just watch, in
    a few short months the very mention of my name will bring
    smiles to the lips and bloom to the cheeks. Goodwill and
    happiness will abound and we will all trip off together
    through the poppy field.

    G'night Trout. Catch ya soon.

    RS

    TCEBob, Jul 29, 2003
  19. Ian Bromley

    Jimchip Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:50:13 -0400, TCEBob wrote:
    > Jim, I didn't see your name in the preceeding dialog, where
    > you would fit in so well.

    Since you haven't learned to quote it is difficult to understand what
    your little brain fart is meant to convey.

    [snip]

    --
    We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve
    one technical problem -- how to run sunlight through a meter.
    Jimchip, Jul 29, 2003
  20. Ian Bromley

    trout Guest

    TCEBob wrote:

    > Um, how long does one have to wait, here? You just watch, in
    > a few short months the very mention of my name will bring
    > smiles to the lips and bloom to the cheeks. Goodwill and
    > happiness will abound and we will all trip off together
    > through the poppy field.
    >
    > G'night Trout. Catch ya soon.
    >
    > RS

    Well, I suppose I have to admire such an optimistic outlook.
    --
    "At least, until no one's looking, and I can get a pillow over your
    face."
    trout, Jul 29, 2003