    a messages saying that I must be logged on as administrator to access
    the page. I am running Win 98Se, not XP!

    Sharon
    Sharon, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Sharon

    °Mike° Guest

    Close IE and clear your temporary internet files from
    Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to check
    the box to include all offline content.

    Open Windows Explorer, and navigate to the
    C:\Windows\WUTemp and C:\Windows\msdownld.tmp
    folders. Empty them if they contain anything.

    Go to the 'Downloaded Programs Files' folder, and find
    the Microsoft update ActiveX class. It should be named
    'Udate class', and if you right click and choose 'Properties',
    it should point to:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB
    Right click and choose 'Remove'.

    Next, search your drive (Find / Files) for the following
    two files, and delete them: iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll .

    Lastly, go to the C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\V4
    folder and delete everything.

    Now check that your internet zone in Control Panel / Internet
    Options / Security is set to 'Default'.

    Visit Windows Update again.
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    IMPORTANT: You must disable your antivirus before visiting
    Windows Update, otherwise the iuctl.dll file may not be
    installed, or may be corrupted.

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:20:32 -0700, in
    <bm2gl7$hqgmr$-berlin.de>
    Sharon scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    Thanks Mike! You saved me again! *G* I'm now back in business with
    Windows Updates. One thing though...I never knew that I should disable
    my antivirus before visiting Windows Updates. I feel kind of uneasy
    doing that. Can it cause a problem with all antivirus programs or is it
    just some? I use eTrust EZ Antivirus.

    Sharon

    Sharon, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Sharon

    °Mike° Guest

    Great. You're welcome.

    I cannot say for certain that *all* antivirus programs have
    this effect, but I suspect that may be the case. It's not
    a problem, provided you go to Windows Update directly;
    in other words, make an internet shortcut (favorites) to
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    and ONLY visit by that shortcut. Don't browse anywhere
    else, or use email/messenger/icq etc. whilst performing
    an update. Once update is complete, you can re-enable
    your antivirus.

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:50:01 -0700, in
    <bm2lt0$i0ahj$-berlin.de>
    Sharon scrawled: