    I see traffic on my network to a number of unregistered TCP/UDP ports. Where
    can I find a list with possible protocols that are using these ports (1535,
    4889 and 8092)?

    erik, Sep 4, 2008

  2. Lars Christensen, Sep 4, 2008

  3. erik

    Scott Perry Guest

    The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) is responsible for official
    assignment of a TCP or UDP port to a known application. That does not mean
    that any software designer could create a program to use any unregistered
    TCP or UDP port that they want.

    There is a Wikipedia listing for common used TCP and UDP service ports:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

    I did not easily find information about the three port numbers which you
    listed. That leads me to believe that they are not commonly associated with
    any particular application or program. Also keep in mind that only the
    destination TCP or UDP port number is the relevant portion, not the source
    port number.

    -----
    Scott Perry
    Indianapolis, IN
    -----

    Scott Perry, Sep 4, 2008
  4. erik

    alexd Guest

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:32:34 +0200, erik wrote:

    > Where can I find a list with possible protocols that are using these
    > ports (1535, 4889 and 8092)?

    Are these source or destination ports?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:09:30 up 54 days, 20:47, 3 users, load average: 0.28, 0.24, 0.16

    alexd, Sep 4, 2008
  5. erik

    erik Guest

    It are destination ports I think.

    erik, Sep 5, 2008
  6. erik schrieb:
    > I see traffic on my network to a number of unregistered TCP/UDP ports. Where
    > can I find a list with possible protocols that are using these ports (1535,
    > 4889 and 8092)?

    Strictly speaking, every protocol is possible on every port. In order to
    find out for sure what it is you'll have to look on the destination machine
    what service is listening on the port. The picture is further complicated
    by protocols that allocate ports dynamically.

    Of course there are typical services for many ports. I have in the past had
    good results looking up port numbers on the SANS Internet Storm Center's
    "PortDetails" page at http://isc.sans.org/port.html. The ports you list,
    however, didn't turn up anything interesting there.

    HTH
    T.

    --
    Please excuse my bad English/German/French/Greek/Cantonese/Klingon/...

    Tilman Schmidt, Sep 5, 2008
  7. erik

    alexd Guest

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 09:40:00 +0200, erik wrote:

    > It are destination ports I think.

    OK. Source ports are effectively irrelevant. If you've got OS-level
    access to either end, you can find out what process or service is using
    the port. On linux and friends, 'lsof -i -n -P' will list processes and
    port numbers [rather than service names], on Windows 'netstat -ban -p IP'
    seems to do the job. Failing that, you could run Wireshark and literally
    look at the content of the packets.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:20:03 up 55 days, 18:58, 3 users, load average: 0.11, 0.06, 0.05

    alexd, Sep 5, 2008