Unravelling Telecom Jargon - T&E?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Snoopy, Oct 27, 2007.

  1. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    I've been investigating the 'new' Telecom and the new depreciation
    policy that ultimately will pay a large part in how much Telecom can
    justify charging for their services.

    On page 25 of the document below

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/binarys/3_aug_07_md&a.pdf

    there rests the information I am trying to understand. Basically
    Telecom have split their NZ business into four groups:

    'Business', 'Consumer', 'T&E' and 'International'. The depreciation
    (and amortization) is then listed for each part of the business and
    that for 'T&E' is by far the largest.

    The only comment that might give some context to this puzzle is a
    sentence on the same page which says:

    "Amortization expense primarily relates to software assets (T&E),
    spectrum licences (T&E) and international cable capacity
    (international)."

    However, nowhere in the 42 page report does it explain what "T&E" is.

    I have already spent over an hour on google and have been unable to
    come up with an answer. I am hoping someone here knows what 'T&E'
    means in this context.

    TIA

    Snoopy

    --
    Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
    spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

    Snoopy, Oct 27, 2007

  2. In message <>, Snoopy wrote:

    > 'Business', 'Consumer', 'T&E' and 'International'.
    >
    > "Amortization expense primarily relates to software assets (T&E),
    > spectrum licences (T&E) and international cable capacity
    > (international)."
    >
    > However, nowhere in the 42 page report does it explain what "T&E" is.

    My guess is something to do with infrastructure. Perhaps "trunks and
    exchanges"?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 27, 2007

  3. Snoopy

    Lodi Guest

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:05:23 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Snoopy wrote:
    >
    >> 'Business', 'Consumer', 'T&E' and 'International'.
    >>
    >> "Amortization expense primarily relates to software assets (T&E),
    >> spectrum licences (T&E) and international cable capacity
    >> (international)."
    >>
    >> However, nowhere in the 42 page report does it explain what "T&E" is.

    > My guess is something to do with infrastructure. Perhaps "trunks and
    > exchanges"?

    Technical and Engineering. Similar to Research and Development

    Lodi
    Lodi, Oct 27, 2007
  4. Snoopy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in news:ffunvj
    $mlb$:

    >> However, nowhere in the 42 page report does it explain what "T&E" is.

    > My guess is something to do with infrastructure. Perhaps "trunks and
    > exchanges"?

    I would expect a glossary

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Oct 27, 2007
  5. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On 28 Oct 2007 00:49:48 +1300, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in news:ffunvj
    >$mlb$:
    >
    >>> However, nowhere in the 42 page report does it explain what "T&E" is.

    >> My guess is something to do with infrastructure. Perhaps "trunks and
    >> exchanges"?
    >>

    >I would expect a glossary

    The glossary is on page 42 of the referenced document. But 'T&E' does
    not feature.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Oct 28, 2007
  6. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:22:23 +0200 (CEST), Lodi <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:05:23 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>My guess is something to do with infrastructure. Perhaps "trunks and
    >>exchanges"?

    >Technical and Engineering. Similar to Research and Development

    Both possible. Before I posted the original message I googled the
    acronyms dictionary and came up with some other possibilities.

    http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/T&E

    T&E European Federation for Transport and Environment
    T&E Technical and Engineering
    T&E Test & Evaluation
    T&E Threatened & Endangered
    T&E Time and Expense
    T&E Training and Evaluation
    T&E Twin & Earth (type of electric cable)

    None of them sound as likely as the two suggested though.

    I think that because Telecom are in the throws of splitting off their
    wholesale and retail functions for the local loop, so that 'wholesale'
    has its own set of accounts, 'Trunk & Exchange' does sound the most
    likely explanation.

    Particularly when you look at the actual depreciation and amortization
    numbers:

    Business $14m+$5m=$19m , Consumer $10m+$4m=$14m ,
    T&E $385m+$85m=$470m, International $29m+$38m=$67m

    The networks are obviously Telecom's biggest assets so it makes sense
    that they should depreciate the most in dollar terms.
    Compare that to the previous years figures quoted, for comparison, as

    Business $16m , Consumer $11m , T&E $434m, International $29m

    Now compare those figures with the same depreciation stated under the
    old divisions for the financial year 2006:

    Wired $376m, Wireless $74m, International $44m, IT Services $8m

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Oct 28, 2007
  7. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    I guess for those of you who cannot see why I am concerning myself
    with such appartent minutae, it is actually IMO very significant.

    Telecom have on page 36 of their Financial Year 2007 annual report
    made the comment that:

    "The determination of the appropriate useful life for a particular
    asset requires management to make judgements about, among other
    fcators the expected period of service potential of the asset, the
    likelihood of the asset becoming obsolete as a result of technological
    advances, and the likelihood of Telecom ceasing to use the asset in
    its business operations."

    On page 47 of the same annual report, we find the current valuation of
    "Telecommunication Equipment & Plant" (which by my logic would
    abbreviate to 'T & P') is $9,542m. But this figure has already been
    depreciated by $6,662m. That gives an on the books value of 'T & P'
    of $2,880m. At the current rate of depreciation of T & P ($452m per
    year), Telecom is telling us their entire network as it stands today
    (poles, exchanges, wires and underground ducting) will be worthless in
    6.5 years. That seems very aggressive depreciation to me.

    Nevertheless, if the existing Telecom accounting policies hold sway,
    everything in the network that exists today will be booked as
    worthless by 2015. Perhaps Telecom are correct in their assumptions.
    But if there is any value in what is around now in 2015, that means
    Telecom will be understating their true profits for the next seven
    years. That will give them the opportunity to 'cry poor' and so
    charge you and I (and all their wholesale customers) more! How's
    that for a conspiracy theory?

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Oct 28, 2007
  8. In message <>, Snoopy wrote:

    > On page 47 of the same annual report, we find the current valuation of
    > "Telecommunication Equipment & Plant" (which by my logic would
    > abbreviate to 'T & P') is $9,542m. But this figure has already been
    > depreciated by $6,662m. That gives an on the books value of 'T & P'
    > of $2,880m. At the current rate of depreciation of T & P ($452m per
    > year), Telecom is telling us their entire network as it stands today
    > (poles, exchanges, wires and underground ducting) will be worthless in
    > 6.5 years. That seems very aggressive depreciation to me.

    Not just aggressive, but wrong, considering the appreciating value of copper
    wire.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 28, 2007
  9. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:19:57 +1300, (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z
    (*is n) wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:22:23 +0200 (CEST), Lodi <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:05:23 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>
    >>>My guess is something to do with infrastructure. Perhaps "trunks and
    >>>exchanges"?

    >>Technical and Engineering. Similar to Research and Development
    >>

    >Both possible. Before I posted the original message I googled the
    >acronyms dictionary and came up with some other possibilities.
    >
    >http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/T&E
    >
    >T&E European Federation for Transport and Environment
    >T&E Technical and Engineering
    >T&E Test & Evaluation
    >T&E Threatened & Endangered
    >T&E Time and Expense
    >T&E Training and Evaluation
    >T&E Twin & Earth (type of electric cable)
    >
    >None of them sound as likely as the two suggested though.

    Ouch! I have been reading the Telecom Annual Report for 2007 in some
    more detail and although I cannot confirm it yet, there is a very good
    chance we are all wrong.

    Would you believe 'T&E' shands for 'Technology and Enterprises'? Of
    course what that jargon conjuring phrase actually means in practical
    terms, I have no idea!

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Oct 28, 2007
  10. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:19:21 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Snoopy wrote:
    >
    >>On page 47 of the same annual report, we find the current valuation of
    >>"Telecommunication Equipment & Plant" (which by my logic would
    >>abbreviate to 'T & P') is $9,542m. But this figure has already been
    >>depreciated by $6,662m. That gives an on the books value of 'T & P'
    >>of $2,880m. At the current rate of depreciation of T & P ($452m per
    >>year), Telecom is telling us their entire network as it stands today
    >>(poles, exchanges, wires and underground ducting) will be worthless in
    >>6.5 years. That seems very aggressive depreciation to me.

    >Not just aggressive, but wrong, considering the appreciating value of copper
    >wire.

    New Telecom CEO Paul Reynolds was on the radio the other day
    proclaiming that all towns with more than 500 lines into them would be
    able to get broadband at a rate of up to 20MB/s over the next five
    years. IIRC he was going to do this by installing 'fibre to the
    cabinet' leaving the old copper wire to take the signal from the
    cabinet to the house.

    If that is true that makes an awful lot of copper to be scrapped. I
    know the price of copper has risen dramatically in the last few years.
    But although I have read about vandals stealing pieces of copper
    sculpture and copper piping to be melted down, I have not read stories
    about theft of phone lines so that they may meet a similar fate. Does
    the economics of recycling copper phone wire really make sense today?

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Oct 28, 2007
  11. Snoopy

    Alan Guest

    Phone or email their investor relations people and ask them?

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Oct 28, 2007
  12. In article <>, (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z (*is n) wrote:
    (snip)
    >Ouch! I have been reading the Telecom Annual Report for 2007 in some
    >more detail and although I cannot confirm it yet, there is a very good
    >chance we are all wrong.
    >
    >Would you believe 'T&E' shands for 'Technology and Enterprises'? Of
    >course what that jargon conjuring phrase actually means in practical
    >terms, I have no idea!

    That's OK ... neither do they. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 29, 2007
  13. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:33:37 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z (*is n) wrote:
    >(snip)
    >>Ouch! I have been reading the Telecom Annual Report for 2007 in some
    >>more detail and although I cannot confirm it yet, there is a very good
    >>chance we are all wrong.
    >>
    >>Would you believe 'T&E' shands for 'Technology and Enterprises'? Of
    >>course what that jargon conjuring phrase actually means in practical
    >>terms, I have no idea!

    >That's OK ... neither do they. :)

    I've decided to take up Alan's suggestion and ask Telecom straight
    out. So we'll see what comes back Bruce. If nothing I guess you are
    right ;-)

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Oct 29, 2007
  14. In article <>, (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z (*is n) wrote:
    >On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:33:37 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >wrote:
    >>In article <>, (Snoopy)

    > te**yson@caverock.*et.*z (*is n) wrote:
    >>(snip)
    >>>Ouch! I have been reading the Telecom Annual Report for 2007 in some
    >>>more detail and although I cannot confirm it yet, there is a very good
    >>>chance we are all wrong.
    >>>
    >>>Would you believe 'T&E' shands for 'Technology and Enterprises'? Of
    >>>course what that jargon conjuring phrase actually means in practical
    >>>terms, I have no idea!

    >>That's OK ... neither do they. :)
    >>

    >I've decided to take up Alan's suggestion and ask Telecom straight
    >out. So we'll see what comes back Bruce. If nothing I guess you are
    >right ;-)

    Always the best idea to ask the chaps that wrote it what it means. Let us
    know how you get on ... and if you can, ask a couple of people. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 29, 2007
  15. Snoopy

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Snoopy *is n wrote:

    > sculpture and copper piping to be melted down, I have not read stories
    > about theft of phone lines so that they may meet a similar fate. Does
    > the economics of recycling copper phone wire really make sense today?

    No.
    Stu Fleming, Nov 1, 2007