    way.

    "Unrated" can be tossed onto the pile of descriptions that don't have to mean
    anything significant, like "Special Edition", "Director's Cut", and "Deluxe."

    Del March, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Del March

    Zimmy Guest

    I'm afraid this "scam" is not new (unless you are new to home video).
    They have been doing it since the days of laserdiscs.

    Zimmy, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Del March

    Biz Guest

    "Del March" <> wrote in message
    > Meet the new marketting trick: labelling a new edition of a DVD release

    as
    Cut", and "Deluxe."

    Nothing new about it, this practice has been going on for years. I
    personally remember it going back to when "The Color of Night" was released
    back in the late 90's.

    Biz, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Del March

    unclejr Guest

    ITEME (Del March) wrote...
    > Of course, technically speaking, it simply means that the "unrated" version
    > never got rated. Had it been submitted, it could very well been rated G. Or,
    > in the aforementioned "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door", the new versions would
    > have been rated R, just like the old versions. These two films have nothing
    > added to them that makes them any more worthy of an NC-17 rating. "The Girl
    > Next Door" is still dull. And "Gia" might be steamier, but not in any major
    > way.

    In the case of Swimming Pool, I think that the "Unrated" version has
    significantly more nudity than the "R-rated" version. Maybe Universal
    is using the word like the average Joe Perv thinks that it is used?
    Probably not... Oh, well...

    Interesting post. I wondered about this myself, but I only have the
    one title (Swimming Pool) that is the "Unrated" version. I was
    thinking of purchasing Bad Santa (Unrated -- aka Badder Santa) and the
    new Underworld (Unrated) release at one time. Does anyone know the
    differences between the two cuts (Unrated vs. R-rated) of these two
    titles?

    -Junior

    unclejr, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Del March

    Richard Guest

    On 07 Sep 2004 07:41:25 GMT, ITEME (Del March) wrote:

    >Meet the new marketting trick: labelling a new edition of a DVD release as
    >"Unrated". I expect this one will be around for a bit, attached to new
    >editions of movies with stars that everyone wants to see naked. The word
    >suggests "Oops, we couldn't get an R rating with this version, so the version
    >you're familiar with was trimmed down. Had we released THIS version, it would
    >have been NC-17." I imagine that was the thinking behind the recent "Unrated"
    >versions of "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door".
    >
    >Of course, technically speaking, it simply means that the "unrated" version
    >never got rated. Had it been submitted, it could very well been rated G. Or,
    >in the aforementioned "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door", the new versions would
    >have been rated R, just like the old versions. These two films have nothing
    >added to them that makes them any more worthy of an NC-17 rating. "The Girl
    >Next Door" is still dull. And "Gia" might be steamier, but not in any major
    >way.
    >
    >"Unrated" can be tossed onto the pile of descriptions that don't have to mean
    >anything significant, like "Special Edition", "Director's Cut", and "Deluxe."

    "The Mangler" had scenes that were cut to obtain an "R" rating, but
    unfortunately, they didn't put them back in the movie, just stuck
    them in the special features section.
    -Rich

    Richard, Sep 7, 2004
  6. >From: "Biz"

    >> Meet the new marketting trick: labelling a new edition of a DVD release

    >as
    >Cut", and "Deluxe."
    >
    >Nothing new about it, this practice has been going on for years. I
    >personally remember it going back to when "The Color of Night" was released
    >back in the late 90's.

    It used to be called "the European version".

    Nick Macpherson, Sep 9, 2004
  7. Del March

    misfit Guest

    back in the day of VHS...unrated did mean a nice almost porn film...but they
    mean that the original was unrated, not that particular relase.

    heres a few other scams.
    DIRECTORS CUT
    BAD"er" SANTA

    misfit, Sep 9, 2004
  8. Del March

    TomT Guest

    I've seen a lot of made for tv movies that were later put out on video with
    this rating.

    TomT, Sep 10, 2004
  9. Del March

    Biz Guest

    "TomT" <> wrote in message
    > I've seen a lot of made for tv movies that were later put out on video

    with
    > this rating.

    If they were made for tv, they wouldnt have been rated in the first
    place....

    Biz, Sep 10, 2004
  10. Del March

    Rutgar Guest

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 08:00:32 -0700, "misfit" <> wrote:

    >back in the day of VHS...unrated did mean a nice almost porn film...but they
    >mean that the original was unrated, not that particular relase.
    >
    >heres a few other scams.
    >DIRECTORS CUT
    >BAD"er" SANTA

    I never did figure out what was "Bad"er" about it.

    - Rutgar

    Rutgar, Sep 10, 2004
  11. Del March

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article
    <hPo0d.575958$>, Biz
    <> wrote:

    > "TomT" <> wrote in message
    > > I've seen a lot of made for tv movies that were later put out on video

    > with
    > > this rating.
    > >

    > If they were made for tv, they wouldnt have been rated in the first
    > place....

    Exactly. Being a young kid and not knowing any better, I rented the
    "Unrated" Salem's Lot video thinking i was going to be splatterfest
    like the other unrated horror films. I was a little surprised :)

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Sep 10, 2004
  12. Del March

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Interesting post. I wondered about this myself, but I only have the
    > one title (Swimming Pool) that is the "Unrated" version. I was
    > thinking of purchasing Bad Santa (Unrated -- aka Badder Santa) and the
    > new Underworld (Unrated) release at one time. Does anyone know the
    > differences between the two cuts (Unrated vs. R-rated) of these two
    > titles?

    The major difference in "Badder Santa", as I recall, is an extended
    scene that shows what Santa does during his hiatus from the first
    christmas shown in the film to the second.

    (No additional nudity from Lauren Graham, sadly enough)

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

    Dale Hicks, Sep 11, 2004
  13. Del March

    SRT Guest

    "Del March" <> wrote in message
    > Meet the new marketting trick: labelling a new edition of a DVD release

    as
    > "Unrated". I expect this one will be around for a bit, attached to new
    > editions of movies with stars that everyone wants to see naked. The word
    > suggests "Oops, we couldn't get an R rating with this version, so the

    version
    > you're familiar with was trimmed down. Had we released THIS version, it

    would
    > have been NC-17." I imagine that was the thinking behind the recent

    "Unrated"
    > versions of "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door".
    >
    > Of course, technically speaking, it simply means that the "unrated"

    version
    > never got rated. Had it been submitted, it could very well been rated G.

    Or,
    > in the aforementioned "Gia" and "The Girl Next Door", the new versions

    would
    > have been rated R, just like the old versions. These two films have

    nothing
    > added to them that makes them any more worthy of an NC-17 rating. "The

    Girl
    > Next Door" is still dull. And "Gia" might be steamier, but not in any

    major
    > way.
    >
    > "Unrated" can be tossed onto the pile of descriptions that don't have to

    mean
    > anything significant, like "Special Edition", "Director's Cut", and

    "Deluxe."

    What's new about it? Did you just wake up or something?

    srt

    SRT, Sep 11, 2004
  14. Del March

    Tarkus Guest

    On 9/11/2004 10:27:01 AM, Dale Hicks wrote:

    > The major difference in "Badder Santa", as I recall, is an extended
    > scene that shows what Santa does during his hiatus from the first
    > christmas shown in the film to the second.
    >
    > (No additional nudity from Lauren Graham, sadly enough)

    Additional?
    --
    "We accidentally replaced your heart with a baked potato. You have
    about three seconds to live."

    Tarkus, Sep 12, 2004
  15. Del March

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <9.com>,
    says...
    > On 9/11/2004 10:27:01 AM, Dale Hicks wrote:
    >
    > > The major difference in "Badder Santa", as I recall, is an extended
    > > scene that shows what Santa does during his hiatus from the first
    > > christmas shown in the film to the second.
    > >
    > > (No additional nudity from Lauren Graham, sadly enough)

    > Additional?

    Well, yeah, you see about 60% of her in the theatrical release. It
    stays at that level in Badder Santa.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

    Dale Hicks, Sep 13, 2004
  16. Del March

    Tarkus Guest

    On 9/12/2004 10:22:37 PM, Dale Hicks wrote:

    > In article <9.com>,
    > says...
    >> On 9/11/2004 10:27:01 AM, Dale Hicks wrote:
    >>
    >>> The major difference in "Badder Santa", as I recall, is an extended
    >>> scene that shows what Santa does during his hiatus from the first
    >>> christmas shown in the film to the second.
    >>>
    >>> (No additional nudity from Lauren Graham, sadly enough)

    >> Additional?

    > Well, yeah, you see about 60% of her in the theatrical release. It
    > stays at that level in Badder Santa.

    60%? 60% of what? You see her in a bra, that's about it. You see
    someone naked from the back, which may or may not be her.
    --
    "You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water;
    shark's in the water, our shark."

    Tarkus, Sep 13, 2004