unpopular film recommendations?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Fergalflann, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Fergalflann

    Fergalflann Guest

    Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?

    Do give you an idea of my taste , most of it probably not weird by any means, I
    have listed some below..

    Trauman show
    Donnie Darko
    Twin Peaks
    Willy Wonka
    Flash Gordon ( def in my top 3 )
    The Straight Story

    Ironically seeing as cult is cool these days it seems anything out of fashion
    is popular , when I bought most of these I couldn't find any in the shops and
    now they're all over the place , esp Donnie Darko.

    I heard Pleasantville was similiar to the Trauman show so I'm very tempted to
    go for it next , but aside from that there doesn't seem to be too much out
    there that catches my eye.

    ferg
    Fergalflann, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Fergalflann

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    (Fergalflann) wrote:

    > Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?

    Give Ghost World, Lucky, Equilibrium and Suicide Club a try. Note:
    Suicide Club is a Japanese film with English subtitles, but definitely
    worth checking out. I think you'll really dig it.

    --
    BL
    Black Locust, Feb 10, 2004

  3. Fergalflann

    Meng Guest

    > Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?

    Dark City.
    Meng, Feb 10, 2004
  4. Fergalflann

    Stan Brown Guest

    It seems "Fergalflann" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?
    >
    >Do give you an idea of my taste , most of it probably not weird by any means, I
    >have listed some below..
    >
    >Trauman show
    >Donnie Darko
    >Twin Peaks
    >Willy Wonka
    >Flash Gordon ( def in my top 3 )
    >The Straight Story

    Keep the River on Your Right _sounds_ like one you'd like.

    Memento, I think, if you haven't seen it.

    House of Yes

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Stan Brown, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Fergalflann

    Murder Guest

    (Fergalflann) wrote in

    > Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult
    > films ?
    >
    > Do give you an idea of my taste , most of it probably not weird by any
    > means, I have listed some below..
    >
    > Trauman show
    > Donnie Darko
    > Twin Peaks
    > Willy Wonka
    > Flash Gordon ( def in my top 3 )
    > The Straight Story

    Dude, these are totally mainstream movies. I could list some real cult
    movies, but they'd probably make your head explode. So I will just say-

    Spider Baby

    -and run for cover.

    Murder, Feb 10, 2004
  6. do they all have to be on DVD? if not...

    Brewster McCloud

    Once Were Warriors

    Freddy Got Fingered

    Electric Dreams
    Vlvetmorning98, Feb 10, 2004
  7. you might also like Jan Svankmajer's ALICE(1989)
    Vlvetmorning98, Feb 10, 2004
  8. >Dude, these are totally mainstream movies.

    well, maybe not DONNIE DARKO. TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME isn't mainstream at
    all.
    Vlvetmorning98, Feb 10, 2004
  9. Fergalflann

    Thomas Bell Guest

    Fergalflann wrote:
    > Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?

    Here's a few picks off the top of my head, sorted by genre and
    convieniently rated for offbeat wierdness (not how actually good the
    movie is), 1 being almost normal going up to 5, being just about
    guaranteed to make your head explode.....

    Horror/Sci Fi:

    Shadow of the Vampire (2)
    The Devil's Backbone (2)
    Lair of the White Worm (3)
    Quills (2)
    The Elephant Man (3)
    Eraserhead (5+)
    Company of Wolves (4)
    Fiend Without a Face (3)
    Robocop (3)
    Begotten (5+)
    The Hitcher (3)
    American Psycho (4)
    Dead Alive (5)
    The (Night of, Dawn of, Day of)" the Living Dead" Trilogy (4)
    The Evil Dead trilogy (5)
    Any British "Hammer" horror movie, especially those made prior to 1968.
    Anything by David Cronenberg, especially "Scanners," "Videodrome," "The
    Fly," "Dead Ringers," "Naked Lunch" or "Crash." (mostly 4's and 5's)

    Comedy:
    Kentucky Fried Movie (2)
    Amazon Women on the Moon (3)
    Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (3)
    Cabin Boy (3)
    Dr. Strangelove (2)
    Pink Flamingos/Female Trouble 2-fer dvd (5)
    Cheech and Chong - 1st 2 movies (2)
    Meet the Feebles (5)
    Repo Man (3)
    This is Spinal Tap (2)
    Rocky Horror Picture Show (4)
    and of course, "Ed Wood!" (2)
    Any Woody Allen movie up to "Manhatten"
    Any Monty Python Movie - Jabberwocky, Holy Grail, Life of Brian and
    Meaning of Life
    Anything by the Coen brothers

    Drama/Action:
    Pink Floyd's The Wall (4)
    Trainspotting (2)
    Showgirls (3)
    Street Trash (5+)
    Taxi Driver (2)
    All That Jazz (1)
    Clockwork Orange (3)
    The Man Who Fell To Earth (2)
    Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (3)
    Blue Velvet (3)
    Sid and Nancy (2)
    Tommy (3)
    Fellini Satyricon (4)
    Brazil (4)
    Caligula (5)
    Any movie by Hitchcock, Tarantino, DePalma(ugh).

    Enjoy!

    T.B.
    Thomas Bell, Feb 10, 2004
  10. Fergalflann wrote:
    > Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?
    >
    > Do give you an idea of my taste , most of it probably not weird by any means, I
    > have listed some below..
    >
    > Trauman show
    > Donnie Darko
    > Twin Peaks
    > Willy Wonka
    > Flash Gordon ( def in my top 3 )
    > The Straight Story
    >
    > Ironically seeing as cult is cool these days it seems anything out of fashion
    > is popular , when I bought most of these I couldn't find any in the shops and
    > now they're all over the place , esp Donnie Darko.
    >
    > I heard Pleasantville was similiar to the Trauman show so I'm very tempted to
    > go for it next , but aside from that there doesn't seem to be too much out
    > there that catches my eye.
    >
    > ferg

    These are more action oriented, but way towards the top of my list:
    Boondock Saints
    Snatch (I'm surprised how many people never saw this)
    Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (if you liked Snatch...)

    Adios,
    ~Nick
    Nicholas Andrade, Feb 10, 2004
  11. Fergalflann

    luminos Guest

    ?

    luminos, Feb 10, 2004
  12. Fergalflann

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Fergalflann <> wrote:

    > Trauman show

    "Truman Show" was unpopular?!? In which dimension!??!
    Peter Briggs, Feb 10, 2004
  13. Fergalflann

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Meng <> wrote:

    > > Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?
    > >

    > Dark City.

    Oh, I can definitely avow to that being unpopular...
    Peter Briggs, Feb 10, 2004
  14. Fergalflann

    Java Jive Guest

    In no particular order:

    Mr Love - Off the wall British comedy. An unassuming nobody of a local
    council gardner dies ... why are there so many women at his funeral?

    Red Beard - Karate and medical care from the Japanese master Akira
    Kurosawa.

    The Ruling Class - Acidic black comedy at the expense of the British
    aristocracy. Peter O'Toole stars as a toff nutter.

    The Taming Of The Shrew - Burton and Taylor star in the misogynist
    Shakespearean romp. Not usually very keen on 'our Will', but remember this
    as being very funny, though haven't seen it recently to check back on my
    taste.

    Chimes At Midnight - Shakespeare's Falstaff as portrayed by Orson Welles.

    The Third Man - B&W thriller starring Orson Welles, Joseph Cotton, and
    Trevor Howard, classic but barely gets a mention these days.

    Charade - Classic comic-thriller starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn,
    again largely forgotten now.

    The Revenger's Comedies - Helena Bonham-Carter and Sam Neil in Alan
    Ayckbourn's darkly satirical comedy (different title in US DVD, think it
    was 'Sweet Revenge')

    Brassed Off - Industrial strife and betrayal; anger, despair, hope, and
    love; a colliery band keeps playing through Margaret Thatcher's closures of
    British mines.

    War And Peace (Russian language, dir Sergei Bondarchuk) - Several hours of
    Tolstoy's classic story, unusual in that it follows the book *exactly*,
    even to the point of replanting crops on the battlefields to match the
    original descriptions. Breathtaking battle scenes; odd-sort of intensity
    and pathos in the very formal personal scenes; lovely music by Ovchinnikov.

    A River Runs Through It - The highs and lows of a rural upbringing in turn
    of the century America. A beautifully made film by Robert Redford.

    How To Make An American Quilt - Winona Ryder in a coming of age drama. I
    particularly like the way that the quilt becomes a framework for the
    life/love stories of the women who contribute to its making.

    Dangerous Minds - Michelle Pfeiffer as an inspirational teacher.

    Jean De Florette/Manon Des Sources (French language) - Wrongdoing, guilt,
    and finally poetic justice in rural France.

    Le Deuxieme Souffle (French language) - Filme Noire thriller.

    Borsalino (French language) - Ditto

    Grumpy Old Men, and sequel - Comedy with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon
    starring as two ageing neighbours who can't stop quarelling.

    Java Jive, Feb 10, 2004
  15. Fergalflann

    Richard C. Guest

    :
[...]
    ===================
    Salo
    Story of O
    Naked States
    Phantom of the Opera (Argento)
    Ed Wood
    Crash
    The Killer (woo)
    Richard C., Feb 10, 2004
  16. Fergalflann

    Tad Bitt Guest

    > Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?
    >
    > Do give you an idea of my taste , most of it probably not weird by any

    means, I
    > have listed some below..
    >
    > Trauman show
    > Donnie Darko
    > Twin Peaks
    > Willy Wonka
    > Flash Gordon ( def in my top 3 )
    > The Straight Story
    >
    > Ironically seeing as cult is cool these days it seems anything out of

    fashion
    > is popular , when I bought most of these I couldn't find any in the shops

    and
    > now they're all over the place , esp Donnie Darko.
    >
    > I heard Pleasantville was similiar to the Trauman show so I'm very tempted

    > go for it next , but aside from that there doesn't seem to be too much out
    > there that catches my eye.
    >
    > ferg

    Rounders
    Metropolis (Kino version)
    Straw Dogs (Criterion)
    After The Fox (MGM Avante Garde series) (Peter Sellers)
    Once Upon A Time In The West (2 dvd Paramount)
    Tad Bitt, Feb 11, 2004
  17. Fergalflann

    G Baker Guest

    Videodrone (sp?)
    G Baker, Feb 11, 2004
  18. Fergalflann <> wrote:
    > Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?

    > Do give you an idea of my taste , most of it probably not weird by any means, I
    > have listed some below..

    > Trauman show
    > Donnie Darko
    > Twin Peaks
    > Willy Wonka
    > Flash Gordon ( def in my top 3 )
    > The Straight Story

    Truman Show ?!?!?

    Please.

    I'll try to leave out most of the ones that others have mentioned, but I will
    make no effort to ensure that these are all available on DVD:

    After Dark, My Sweet
    Bottle Rocket
    Blood & Donuts
    Brazil
    Bubba Ho-tep (This gem is still on the big screen as of this writing)
    Cecil B. DeMented
    Chacun cherche son chat (US title: When the Cat's Away)
    Charade (Get the Truth About Charlie DVD, and watch the flipside.
    Don't bother with Charlie.)
    Coup de torchon
    Drugstore Cowboy
    The First Nudie Musical
    Flesh Gordon
    The Frighteners
    The Grifters
    Heavenly Creatures
    How to Get Ahead in Advertising
    Lifeforce
    Lola rennt (US title: Run Lola Run)
    Nadja
    Near Dark
    Office Space
    Ohayo (US title: Good Morning)
    Orgasmo
    Pecker
    Pi
    Rancho Deluxe
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Repo Man
    Rushmore
    Sid and Nancy
    Solyaris
    Time Bandits
    Welcome to the Dollhouse
    The Wizard of Speed and Time
    Y tu mama tambien
    Jake Patterson, Feb 11, 2004
  19. >How to Get Ahead in Advertising

    absolutely fantastic film. Your other picks are pretty damn good, too
    Vlvetmorning98, Feb 11, 2004
  20. Fergalflann

    Thomas Bell Guest

    Fergalflann wrote:
    Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?

    Here's a few picks off the top of my head, sorted by genre and
    conveniently rated for offbeat weirdness (not how actually good the
[...]

    Any Woody Allen movie up to "Manhattan"

    Thomas Bell, Feb 11, 2004