Unplugging a laptop hard drive (in Zen player)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by NOTTNICK, Jan 25, 2008.

  1. NOTTNICK

    NOTTNICK Guest

    Broke the hard drive in my Creative Zen player.
    Have (at last - with help from Creative NG) dimantled unit.
    Relieved that it contains a standard Hitachi 20gb drive.
    However, I am not sure how to actually unplug the drive from the ribbon
    so I can replace it
    ie. Which bit I pull and what with.

    Have photo here
    http://www.bellows.org.uk/drive.JPG
    and close up here
    http://www.bellows.org.uk/connector.JPG
    (sorry this one is a large file).

    Suggestions as to what to do next really appreciated. It looks delicate
    and I don't want to go about it wrongly.

    Cheers

    Nick

    NOTTNICK, Jan 25, 2008

  2. NOTTNICK

    Guest

    NOTTNICK <> wrote:

    >Broke the hard drive in my Creative Zen player.
    >Have (at last - with help from Creative NG) dimantled unit.
    >Relieved that it contains a standard Hitachi 20gb drive.
    >However, I am not sure how to actually unplug the drive from the ribbon
    >so I can replace it
    >ie. Which bit I pull and what with.
    >
    >Have photo here
    >http://www.bellows.org.uk/drive.JPG
    >and close up here
    >http://www.bellows.org.uk/connector.JPG
    >(sorry this one is a large file).

    That's actually too close.

    >Suggestions as to what to do next really appreciated. It looks delicate
    >and I don't want to go about it wrongly.

    A ribbon cable is usually clamped into place and is released by
    manipulating each side of the connector.

    The clamp is just friction, a good pull will disconnect the HD (not
    recommended)
    --

    The Wonderful World of Early Computing
    www.neatorama.com/2008/01/25/the-wonderful-world-of-early-computing/

    , Jan 26, 2008

  3. NOTTNICK

    Guest

    wrote:

    >A ribbon cable is usually clamped into place and is released by
    >manipulating each side of the connector.

    This looks pretty bad, I made this post last night but didn't send it.

    I saw he re posted the same question, so decided to send this off
    BEFORE seeing/reading Ponder's message, which answered the OP's
    question.

    From: Ponder <>
    Subject: Re: Unattach a ZIF socket