unplugging a digital camera from USB port

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by geralvon, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. geralvon

    geralvon Guest

    I just started trying to use a Sony digital camera and installed the
    Image Transfer function. Then I disconnected the scanner from the USB
    port and plugged the camera's USB cable in that port. The camera then
    automatically goes on. When I had transferred the picture I pulled
    the camera's cable out of the USB port and got a message about the
    danger of removing a "hot plug" and I should use the "hot plug icon".

    I don't know what the "hot plug icon" is or where to find it. I
    looked in my "for Dummies" books and in the "Help" index and found
    nothing. Does this mean that I have to turn my computer off before
    unplugging the camera? I'm not sure I can turn the camera's power off
    before unplugging it as it goes on automatically without pressing the
    power button when it is plugged in.

    Thank you for your assistance.

    Harold Zeckel

    geralvon, Dec 20, 2003

  2. geralvon

    olfart Guest

    "geralvon" <> wrote in message
    > I just started trying to use a Sony digital camera and installed the
    > Image Transfer function. Then I disconnected the scanner from the

    USB
    > port and plugged the camera's USB cable in that port. The camera

    then
    > automatically goes on. When I had transferred the picture I pulled
    > the camera's cable out of the USB port and got a message about the
    > danger of removing a "hot plug" and I should use the "hot plug

    icon".

    > I don't know what the "hot plug icon" is or where to find it. I
    > looked in my "for Dummies" books and in the "Help" index and found
    > nothing. Does this mean that I have to turn my computer off before
    > unplugging the camera? I'm not sure I can turn the camera's power

    off
    > before unplugging it as it goes on automatically without pressing

    the
    > power button when it is plugged in.
    >
    > Thank you for your assistance.
    >
    > Harold Zeckel

    When the camera is plugged in and On there might be an icon in your
    taskbar to click on before you unplug it. I had similar on a Phillips
    CDRW some time ago.

    olfart, Dec 20, 2003

  3. geralvon

    geralvon Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message news:<bs0fmr$8ckqd$-berlin.de>...
    > "geralvon" <> wrote in message

    > > I don't know what the "hot plug icon" is or where to find it. I
    > > looked in my "for Dummies" books and in the "Help" index and found
    > > nothing. Does this mean that I have to turn my computer off before
    > > unplugging the camera? I'm not sure I can turn the camera's power

    > When the camera is plugged in and On there might be an icon in your
    > taskbar to click on before you unplug it. I had similar on a Phillips
    > CDRW some time ago.

    Thanks. I'll look for that the next time. Harold

    geralvon, Dec 20, 2003
  4. geralvon

    olfart Guest

    > > "geralvon" <> wrote in message

    > > > I don't know what the "hot plug icon" is or where to find it. I
    > > > looked in my "for Dummies" books and in the "Help" index and

    found
    > > > nothing. Does this mean that I have to turn my computer off

    before
    > > > unplugging the camera? I'm not sure I can turn the camera's

    power

    > > When the camera is plugged in and On there might be an icon in

    your
    > > taskbar to click on before you unplug it. I had similar on a

    Phillips
    > > CDRW some time ago.

    > Thanks. I'll look for that the next time. Harold

    If the icon is there a right click should bring up a window saying
    something like "OK to turn off" or something similar. It was a pain to
    remeber to click it when I had the Phillips-would cause a freeze or a
    crash if I didn't

    olfart, Dec 20, 2003