Unplug or Eject Hardware...?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenneth, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    Howdy,

    With Win2K, I have learned (the hard way) that if I simply unplug an
    external USB drive, I get an error dialog telling me that I have
    removed a device without first stopping it. One of the options in the
    dialog is that of placing the "Unplug or Eject Hardware" icon on the
    tray.

    I now have that icon on the tray.

    It lists those devices that I have unplugged incorrectly in the past.

    Now, (finally) my question:

    How can I populate the "Unplug" list with other devices so that I can
    "stop" them properly before unplugging them?

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Kenneth

    Frederic Guest

    this works only for USB devices.
    if it's still showing then go to device manager (system properties)

    --
    Frederic
    http://fredsfastcram.netfirms.com

    Frederic, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:57:11 -0400, "Frederic"
    <> wrote:

    >this works only for USB devices.
    >if it's still showing then go to device manager (system properties)

    Hello again,

    Sincere thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Oct 18, 2003
  4. Kenneth

    <> wrote:

    >this works only for USB devices.
    >if it's still showing then go to device manager (system properties)

    Hi again Frederic,

    I just realized that on one of my systems, I have three USB devices
    (two external drives, and one printer) but only the two drives show in
    the Unplug icon list. Why would the printer not appear?

    Thanks,

    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Kenneth

    Stevo Guest

    Kenneth wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:57:11 -0400, "Frederic"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> this works only for USB devices.
    >> if it's still showing then go to device manager (system properties)

    > Hi again Frederic,
    >
    > I just realized that on one of my systems, I have three USB devices
    > (two external drives, and one printer) but only the two drives show in
    > the Unplug icon list. Why would the printer not appear?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Under normal circumstances a printer wouldn't be considered as a 'removable'
    device as such..

    It is an output device, so caching etc is unlikely to cause major system
    problems in the event of a cable disconnection.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Oct 18, 2003