    that's in the reader.

    Any help???

    Thanks
    TD Matthews, Oct 16, 2003

  2. TD Matthews

    Robertwgross Guest

    Trevor wrote:
    >Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
    >before reuse
    >That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
    >sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
    >use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
    >can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
    >and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
    >that's in the reader.

    Isn't "remove hardware" different from "eject media" (like a CF card)?

    I can eject media, insert new media, and then read it directly without doing
    any unplug-replug.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Oct 16, 2003

  3. TD Matthews

    Tom Guest

    "TD Matthews" <> wrote in message
    > Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
    > before reuse
    >

    > That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
    > sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
    > use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
    > can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
    > and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
    > that's in the reader.
    >
    > Any help???
    >
    > Thanks

    I assume you are using Windows XP and that is why you have the Unplug/Eject
    Hardware icon. I initially thought you had to use that before you could
    remove the card but I found that apparently that refers to unplugging the
    reader totally and not simply removing the card. I've been simply removing
    and replacing my cards for months and have had no problem. I leave the
    reader plugged in all the time.
    Tom, Oct 16, 2003
  4. TD Matthews

    mcgyverjones Guest

    > Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
    > before reuse
    >

    > That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
    > sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
    > use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
    > can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
    > and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
    > that's in the reader.

    Don't unplug/eject before removing card. Make sure the light is not flashing
    and remove. Only use the Unplug/Eject Hardware when removing the reader
    itself from the system.

    MJ
    mcgyverjones, Oct 16, 2003
  5. TD Matthews

    Tom Scales Guest

    You're right. That's to unplug the reader.

    Just unplug the card. That's all it takes. Make sure it's not writing at
    the time (lights out).

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 17, 2003
  6. TD Matthews

    Trabajador Guest

    One more step (nt)

    The other replies are correct, you needn't use the remove hardware function.
    However, there's one more step you might take for safety's sake. Before
    removing the card, right click the drive icon in MyComputer, and "eject" it
    much as you might a CD. Of course it won't physically eject, but when the
    operation is complete, you'll know that any pending writes have been
    flushed.
    Trabajador, Oct 17, 2003
  7. TD Matthews

    TD Matthews Guest

    Thanks alot guys. I 'thought' the readers manual had said to do an
    eject but it's been driving me nuts.

    I had seen some posts alluding to what you've said, but nothing
    definite until now. Your experience is good enough for me.

    TD Matthews, Oct 17, 2003
  8. TD Matthews

    Drifter Guest

    >You're right. That's to unplug the reader.
    >
    >Just unplug the card. That's all it takes. Make sure it's not writing at
    >the time (lights out).

    Technically if you want to do it "nice" you are supposed to go into
    "my computer", right click on the drive and select "eject" from the
    menu. This forces the computer to finish any cached writes it's
    waiting on. XP is far less fussy about this than Win2k was.

    Drifter
    Drifter, Oct 17, 2003
  9. TD Matthews

    jeff liss Guest

    (TD Matthews) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
    > before reuse
    >

    > That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
    > sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
    > use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
    > can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
    > and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
    > that's in the reader.
    >
    > Any help???
    >
    > Thanks

    When the card reader's not blinking or the light is off, it's safe to
    unplug the card. If you need extra assurance, wait until you shut down
    your 'puter, then take out the card. I've never had any problems or
    lost data on my cards doing it this way.
    Jeff
    jeff liss, Oct 17, 2003
  10. TD Matthews

    Joe Bloggs Guest

    Drifter <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >You're right. That's to unplug the reader.
    > >
    > >Just unplug the card. That's all it takes. Make sure it's not writing at
    > >the time (lights out).

    > Technically if you want to do it "nice" you are supposed to go into
    > "my computer", right click on the drive and select "eject" from the
    > menu. This forces the computer to finish any cached writes it's
    > waiting on. XP is far less fussy about this than Win2k was.
    >
    > Drifter

    If you go to the properties of the card reader in device manager, you
    should be able to disable write caching on it. That way, as long as
    you don't have an Explorer window or application with a handle on the
    drive, you'll always be able to remove the card without any risk.
    Joe Bloggs, Oct 17, 2003
  11. TD Matthews

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Re: Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unpluggedbefore reuse

    jeff liss wrote:

    > (TD Matthews) wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
    >>before reuse
    >>

    >>That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
    >>sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
    >>use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
    >>can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
    >>and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
    >>that's in the reader.
    >>
    >>Any help???
    >>
    >>Thanks

    > When the card reader's not blinking or the light is off, it's safe to
    > unplug the card. If you need extra assurance, wait until you shut down
    > your 'puter, then take out the card. I've never had any problems or
    > lost data on my cards doing it this way.
    > Jeff

    I have a multi-card type reader and I always leave it plugged in. I
    make sure all activity involving a card is complete before unplugging
    the CARD, and have never had a problem with this. When I plug in a
    card, WinXP notices and the card volume label appears in the Windows
    Explorer directory list for that drive number.
    Ron Hunter, Oct 17, 2003