UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 1.6.2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    GraB, Nov 5, 2004

  2. "GraB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
    >
    > Seems to work fine, for those who might be interested. The Softpedia
    > download link seems to work at the moment. Some links don't.

    A bit off - topic but here goes anyway: its probably time to give up on Win
    98. I ran the win98 lite this year and I have to say I was seriouisly
    impressed. It was blazingly fast and rock solid. But , the amount of
    software taht requires the NT, 2000, XP family is getting to be a bit too
    much. XP is expensive but great if you take the time get rid of all the
    detritus that goes with it.
    Andrei Sharko, Nov 5, 2004

  3. GraB

    -=rjh=- Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
    >
    > Seems to work fine, for those who might be interested. The Softpedia
    > download link seems to work at the moment. Some links don't.

    I've been using Power Archiver 6.11 and the unofficial update from the
    same site, it works really well. Integrates nicely with explorer,
    skinnable too.

    I prefer it to Winzip because Winzip is not free. (Although a *lot* of
    people use it without paying for it).
    -=rjh=-, Nov 5, 2004
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 12:53:50 +1300, "Andrei Sharko"
    <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
    >>
    >> Seems to work fine, for those who might be interested. The Softpedia
    >> download link seems to work at the moment. Some links don't.

    >A bit off - topic but here goes anyway: its probably time to give up on Win
    >98. I ran the win98 lite this year and I have to say I was seriouisly
    >impressed. It was blazingly fast and rock solid. But , the amount of
    >software taht requires the NT, 2000, XP family is getting to be a bit too
    >much. XP is expensive but great if you take the time get rid of all the
    >detritus that goes with it.

    I suppose that depends on what you are doing. The one and only time I
    have come across software that wouldn't run on 98SE was Hardinfo which
    was free on a mag CD, which required online registration, which I duly
    got, only to find that it wouldn't install on SE, requiring ME or
    later. As you say about 98Lite, which is what I run, I prefer to stay
    with the devil I know, being seriously unimpressed with every
    encounter I have had with XP. It is unlikely that I would go to XP,
    overpriced as you say, but if I did it would be when SP2 is integrated
    and there is a compatible version of XPLite to install a stripped down
    version.

    The thing about that patch, getting back on topic, I have found the
    memory seems to work better, there is a Win2000 scheme and a nice new
    recycle bin. It is pretty complete as far as various up-to-date
    patches is concerned, all in one hit. It only patches what needs to
    be patched. For example, I don't have Windows Scripting Host
    installed, as a security measure (don't seem to have ever needed it),
    the patch updates it but doesn't update it if it isn't there.
    GraB, Nov 6, 2004
  5. GraB

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 12:53:50 +1300, Andrei Sharko wrote:

    > "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
    >>
    >> Seems to work fine, for those who might be interested. The Softpedia
    >> download link seems to work at the moment. Some links don't.

    > A bit off - topic but here goes anyway: its probably time to give up on Win
    > 98. I ran the win98 lite this year and I have to say I was seriouisly
    > impressed. It was blazingly fast and rock solid. But , the amount of
    > software taht requires the NT, 2000, XP family is getting to be a bit too
    > much. XP is expensive but great if you take the time get rid of all the
    > detritus that goes with it.

    Once you have used XP, you won't want to go back, its completely stable,
    never crashes, and it doesn't freeze up when you insert a scratched CD :D
    -[Myth]-, Nov 6, 2004
  6. GraB

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:02:18 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

    > Once you have used XP, you won't want to go back, its completely stable,
    > never crashes, and it doesn't freeze up when you insert a scratched CD :D

    Never crashes? Nope it does, but less often.
    Gordon, Nov 6, 2004
  7. GraB

    Italian Jobs Guest

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 10:43:41 +1300, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:02:18 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
    >
    >> Once you have used XP, you won't want to go back, its completely stable,
    >> never crashes, and it doesn't freeze up when you insert a scratched CD :D

    >Never crashes? Nope it does, but less often.

    methinks you neglected the sarcasm
    Italian Jobs, Nov 7, 2004
  8. Gordon wrote:
    >>Once you have used XP, you won't want to go back, its completely stable,
    >>never crashes, and it doesn't freeze up when you insert a scratched CD :D

    > Never crashes? Nope it does, but less often.

    depends on the setup and hardware in your machine.

    mine has only crashed when hardware was dodgy.
    even then, it did pretty well at masking that until it was really
    stuffed.(it continued working along as one of my Hdd was dying).

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 7, 2004
  9. GraB

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 10:43:41 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:02:18 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
    >
    >> Once you have used XP, you won't want to go back, its completely stable,
    >> never crashes, and it doesn't freeze up when you insert a scratched CD :D

    > Never crashes? Nope it does, but less often.

    No i'm not kidding, it crashed for the first time yesterday, I was shocked
    :D. I had just installed some unofficial drivers for my graphics card and
    XP blue screened when I launched BF1942.exe. Installing the old drivers
    fixed it though.
    -[Myth]-, Nov 7, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>> Once you have used XP, you won't want to go back, its completely stable,
    >>> never crashes, and it doesn't freeze up when you insert a scratched
    >>> CD :D

    >> Never crashes? Nope it does, but less often.

    > depends on the setup and hardware in your machine.
    >
    > mine has only crashed when hardware was dodgy.

    Mine's only crashed with faulty drivers (My crappy USB thumb drive that
    I installed the "drivers" for. Too Asian to use.). It seems that the
    only programs running on the system with enough priviledges to screw
    things up are drivers.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 8, 2004