Unnecesary services in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. What services can be safely disabled in Vista in order to improve performance?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 24, 2006

  2. I cannot say with regards to Vista, but you can try this link for guidance:

    http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP Services.htm

    the BlackViper site has been closed for quite a while, this seems to be a
    derivative of his info - greate stuff I used to think!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 24, 2006

  3. Personally, I wouldn't muck around with services on Vista. If it's turned
    on, there's a good reason. The days when MS turned on everything just for
    the fun of it are long gone.

    The biggest thing you can do for performance is throw RAM at it. LOTS of RAM
    at it. And yes, ReadyBoost works and helps a lot if you have a nice, fast,
    USB memory stick you can put in there.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 24, 2006
  4. Yeah. I figured that would be the answer.
    After running services.msc yesterday I didn't find many services to disable.
    Just the 3 ones related to SmartCard.

    On the memory side, this Vista installation I am testing is on my old Compaq
    Notebook (Athlon 1600+) which already has its memory expanded to 512MB RAM.
    I know it is on the edge of the bare minimum but I don't think it can be
    upgraded to 1GB.
    I tried the memory stick thing (works on Vista x64 on my desktop) but to no
    avail.
    USB ports are 1.1 and maybe that is the reason.
    Seems that USB 2.0 is necessary.

    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Oct 24, 2006
  5. correct, USB2 is required for USB sticks.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 24, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Anybody tried UniBlue's Process Library website to see if it's Vista ready
    yet? It's helped me lots of times turning off unnecessary services in XP
    and Server. I'd try it right now, but I'm at work, and the Vista box is at
    home. Something to fool with tonight...

    M. Murcek, Oct 24, 2006