    implementing this project for a charity.
    TIA
    Brian Tozer
    KiwiBrian, Sep 29, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian wrote:
    > I have a borrowed laptop that is to be used for an unattended automatic
    > slide-show type of presentation.
    > When it is powered on it must go straight into the slide show/screensaver
    > type of application where it will just display the succession of images.
    > Preferably the keyboard should be deactivated to prevent public
    > interference, and ideally, but not essential, the display time of each image
    > could be individually controlled.
    > Can anyone recommend an application, freeware or shareware, and comment on
    > any traps and pitfalls or considerations that I need to be aware of in
    > implementing this project for a charity.

    for public display by the sounds...
    Assuming windows, somethijng like an auto logon, easy to do, followed by
    the pps(powerpoint) file in the startup, set to loop, and change slides
    after x number of seconds.

    Personally I'd do it with a laptop and a monitor/projector/flat-panel on
    a long cable on the desk, and laptop hidden away in a locked room, that
    way if it gets nicked, they'll likely only get the flatpanel/whatever.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 29, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    Rob J Guest

    In article <dhf98p$n13$>, says...
    > I have a borrowed laptop that is to be used for an unattended automatic
    > slide-show type of presentation.
    > When it is powered on it must go straight into the slide show/screensaver
    > type of application where it will just display the succession of images.
    > Preferably the keyboard should be deactivated to prevent public
    > interference, and ideally, but not essential, the display time of each image
    > could be individually controlled.
    > Can anyone recommend an application, freeware or shareware, and comment on
    > any traps and pitfalls or considerations that I need to be aware of in
    > implementing this project for a charity.

    You could meet some of your requirements by providing some sort of
    enclosure where the keyboard is physically inaccessible. Other than that
    Powerpoint will do most of what you are looking for.
    Rob J, Sep 29, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    pixel Guest

    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    >I have a borrowed laptop that is to be used for an unattended automatic
    >slide-show type of presentation.
    > When it is powered on it must go straight into the slide show/screensaver
    > type of application where it will just display the succession of images.
    > Preferably the keyboard should be deactivated to prevent public
    > interference, and ideally, but not essential, the display time of each
    > image could be individually controlled.
    > Can anyone recommend an application, freeware or shareware, and comment on
    > any traps and pitfalls or considerations that I need to be aware of in
    > implementing this project for a charity.
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    If XP, put images into My Pictures folder, and set as screensaver.
    Can't set individual slide times tho'.

    Can you hide the laptop away and attach a large screen ?
    Maybe wireless ?
    pixel, Sep 29, 2005
  5. KiwiBrian

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <dhf98p$n13$>, says...
    >
    >>I have a borrowed laptop that is to be used for an unattended automatic
    >>slide-show type of presentation.
    >>When it is powered on it must go straight into the slide show/screensaver
    >>type of application where it will just display the succession of images.
    >>Preferably the keyboard should be deactivated to prevent public
    >>interference, and ideally, but not essential, the display time of each image
    >>could be individually controlled.
    >>Can anyone recommend an application, freeware or shareware, and comment on
    >>any traps and pitfalls or considerations that I need to be aware of in
    >>implementing this project for a charity.

    > You could meet some of your requirements by providing some sort of
    > enclosure where the keyboard is physically inaccessible. Other than that
    > Powerpoint will do most of what you are looking for.

    At a price!

    Irfanview is free, small, light and capable of building a slideshow into
    a small standalone executable; I suggest having a play with it. It
    won't allow individual times for images - but you could show the same
    image multiple times if that would help, and doesn't disable the
    keyboard - perhaps some other software is available to do that.
    Alternatively, use Irfanview to make a screensaver slideshow, put a link
    in Startup folder to the screensaver and password protect it?

    Is the keyboard able to be disabled in the bios (assuming a USB or PS/2
    external keyboard)?

    When in full screen mode, Irfanview slideshow can be controlled
    (forward, back, but not exited) by the mouse.

    I wonder what happens if you set the Windows shell to be the Irfanview
    slideshow executable? Hmm... you used to be able to do this in Win3.1. I
    wouldn't try this on a borrowed laptop :)

    Could also use local webpages to achieve a similar result with more
    control using the "refresh" meta tag; if you have network connectivity
    you could just run it as a slideshow direct from flickr.com

    What about booting from a CDROM? That might give even more possibilities.
    -=rjh=-, Sep 29, 2005
  6. KiwiBrian

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Rob J wrote:
    > > In article <dhf98p$n13$>, says...
    > >
    > >>I have a borrowed laptop that is to be used for an unattended automatic
    > >>slide-show type of presentation.
    > >>When it is powered on it must go straight into the slide show/screensaver
    > >>type of application where it will just display the succession of images.
    > >>Preferably the keyboard should be deactivated to prevent public
    > >>interference, and ideally, but not essential, the display time of each image
    > >>could be individually controlled.
    > >>Can anyone recommend an application, freeware or shareware, and comment on
    > >>any traps and pitfalls or considerations that I need to be aware of in
    > >>implementing this project for a charity.

    > > You could meet some of your requirements by providing some sort of
    > > enclosure where the keyboard is physically inaccessible. Other than that
    > > Powerpoint will do most of what you are looking for.

    > At a price!
    >
    > Irfanview is free, small, light and capable of building a slideshow into
    > a small standalone executable; I suggest having a play with it. It
    > won't allow individual times for images - but you could show the same
    > image multiple times if that would help, and doesn't disable the
    > keyboard - perhaps some other software is available to do that.
    > Alternatively, use Irfanview to make a screensaver slideshow, put a link
    > in Startup folder to the screensaver and password protect it?
    >
    > Is the keyboard able to be disabled in the bios (assuming a USB or PS/2
    > external keyboard)?

    How do you re-enable the keyboard? Think about it

    It is for this reason I have never seen a PC that allows keyboard to be
    disabled in Bios.

    The closest ever was those keyswitches that used to be fitted on cases.
    Rob J, Sep 29, 2005
  7. KiwiBrian

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>Rob J wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <dhf98p$n13$>, says...

    >>>You could meet some of your requirements by providing some sort of
    >>>enclosure where the keyboard is physically inaccessible. Other than that
    >>>Powerpoint will do most of what you are looking for.

    >>At a price!
    >>
    >>Irfanview is free, small, light and capable of building a slideshow into
    >>a small standalone executable; I suggest having a play with it. It
    >>won't allow individual times for images - but you could show the same
    >>image multiple times if that would help, and doesn't disable the
    >>keyboard - perhaps some other software is available to do that.
    >>Alternatively, use Irfanview to make a screensaver slideshow, put a link
    >>in Startup folder to the screensaver and password protect it?
    >>
    >>Is the keyboard able to be disabled in the bios (assuming a USB or PS/2
    >>external keyboard)?

    > How do you re-enable the keyboard? Think about it

    Shouldn't be a problem with external keyboards; sort of like my laptop
    display, the bios is able to be set to enable or disable the onboard
    display, or to detect what is connected at boot.
    -=rjh=-, Sep 29, 2005
  8. KiwiBrian

    Allistar Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > I have a borrowed laptop that is to be used for an unattended automatic
    > slide-show type of presentation.
    > When it is powered on it must go straight into the slide show/screensaver
    > type of application where it will just display the succession of images.
    > Preferably the keyboard should be deactivated to prevent public
    > interference, and ideally, but not essential, the display time of each
    > image could be individually controlled.
    > Can anyone recommend an application, freeware or shareware, and comment on
    > any traps and pitfalls or considerations that I need to be aware of in
    > implementing this project for a charity.
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    Assuming you will be using Linux you could disable the keyboard in the
    xorg.conf file by commenting out one line. You could then get the X server
    to start with a light weight desktop like fvwm and then have a veru simply
    shell script that loops through a directory using xview to display each
    image. It wouldn't be too difficult to have a file that specifies "image
    name" and "time on screen" that allows you to control exactly how long an
    image is displayed before flipping to the next one.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Sep 30, 2005
  9. In article <>, Allistar <> wrote:

    >Assuming you will be using Linux you could disable the keyboard in the
    >xorg.conf file by commenting out one line.

    Won't that leave virtual console switching enabled?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 30, 2005
  10. KiwiBrian

    GraB Guest

    Why bother having a slideshow if no-one attends? :)
    GraB, Sep 30, 2005
  11. KiwiBrian

    Allistar Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Assuming you will be using Linux you could disable the keyboard in the
    >>xorg.conf file by commenting out one line.

    > Won't that leave virtual console switching enabled?

    There are ways of disabling that, I'm sure.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Sep 30, 2005
  12. KiwiBrian

    SteveShurber Guest

    You can try locking your system with Transparent Screen Lock. This is
    like a clear screensaver. As soon as someone hits a key or moves a
    mouse they are prompted for a password. You can find this at
    http://www.e-motional.com/tscreenlock.htm

    Steve
    SteveShurber, Oct 2, 2005
  13. KiwiBrian

    riff Guest

    "SteveShurber" <> wrote in message
    > You can try locking your system with Transparent Screen Lock. This is
    > like a clear screensaver. As soon as someone hits a key or moves a
    > mouse they are prompted for a password. You can find this at
    > http://www.e-motional.com/tscreenlock.htm
    >
    > Steve

    Have you looked into PowerPoint? Kiosk mode does all that you require i
    believe
    riff
    riff, Oct 4, 2005