    I dont know how I can recover...

    Thank you very much

    , Aug 6, 2004

  2. Parko Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:37:03 +0000, cteq1 wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > My nephew had downloaded AIM and now I get Unmountable_Boot_Volume
    > error, went to Microsoft website and suggests use chkdsk/r but it
    > says can not run in dos mode. I cant load in any options, safe
    > mode/last known etc are no good.
    >
    > I have recovery CD and not XP pro on iys own :(
    >
    > I dont know how I can recover...
    >
    > Thank you very much

    Grab a copy of any XP installation disc, boot into the recovery console
    and...http://tinyurl.com/5ornp

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Deano Plenty Guest

    This happened to me and likely you're shit out of luck. I couldn't access
    any recovery console. Now gates is trying to blame the wire gauge as in this
    article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185 Do you believe this? As
    this error only occurs on the NTFS file system and not FAT32 the real answer
    is windows xp is to blame and it has nothing whatsoever to do with any
    hardware. As a last ditch effort try a rescue disk created on windows 98
    from fix-it utilities 3.0 and type chkdsk /r note the space. There is a fix
    for this in service pack 1. I won't be installing service pack2 as i'll let
    the patsies install it first and hear the sob stories in a few weeks. Linux
    Knoppix can also be used to access your data but you need more than one cd
    writer or another drive to transfer the data. The super utilites cd 2002 and
    2003 didn't help me. Norton's disk doctor couldn't even install without
    writing to the hard drive.

    Deano Plenty, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Unk Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:37:03 GMT, wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >My nephew had downloaded AIM and now I get Unmountable_Boot_Volume
    >error, went to Microsoft website and suggests use chkdsk/r but it
    >says can not run in dos mode. I cant load in any options, safe
    >mode/last known etc are no good.
    >
    >I have recovery CD and not XP pro on iys own :(
    >
    >I dont know how I can recover...
    >
    >Thank you very much

    Tough one to recover from. Maybe some help here:
    "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart
    Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm

    Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled
    Is Mounted
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341

    XP REPAIR

    Boot from the CD or you can insert the CD while at the windows desktop but
    when the setup screen appears, exit setup and reboot. If your system is set
    to be able to boot from the CD, it should detect the disk and give a brief
    message, during the boot up, if you wish to boot from the CD press any key.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    Unk, Aug 7, 2004
  5. ICee Guest

    Deano Plenty wrote:
    > This happened to me and likely you're shit out of luck. I couldn't
    > access any recovery console. Now gates is trying to blame the wire
    > gauge as in this article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185

    [snip]

    That article says nothing about wire gauge. Older IDE drives use a 40
    pin, 40 wire cable to connect them to the motherboard. This works fine
    for data transfer speeds up to ATA33. For data transfer at ATA66 and
    higher speeds, an 80 conductor, 40 pin cable must be used. The other 40
    wires are ground wires, necessary to reduce noise on the cable when data
    is transferred at ATA66, ATA100 and ATA133 speeds.
    If an older 40 wire IDE cable is used with a newer, ATA66 or faster
    drive, data will become corrupt due to the extra noise created by the
    faster data transfer speed.

    ICee, Aug 7, 2004
  6. Deano Plenty Guest

    I'm using 80 conductor, 40 pin cable on a p4p800 deluxe motherboard still
    got the error. In my case i believe O&O's clever cache pro was to blame.

    Deano Plenty, Aug 7, 2004