    it might be virually enhanced. I am having trouble with a recovery strategy
    for the drive.

    What can I do to recover this drive? I want it to be the Master ...

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 20, 2009

  2. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    news:gpurh2$f22$...
    >I have the Blue Screen of Death, with the referenced message during
    >boot-time.
    >
    > I've made the drive a slave and performed disk check and defrag -- there
    > were errors reported as being fixed, and it needed defragging.
    >
    > Unmountable Boot Volume tells me that the boot sector is toast -- I
    > suppose it might be virually enhanced. I am having trouble with a recovery
    > strategy for the drive.
    >
    > What can I do to recover this drive? I want it to be the Master ...

    Are you trying to recover data ? or just reuse/"don't want to throw it
    away?"

    Last week I had a friend with Thinkpad that wouldn't boot It was an old PC
    and wasn't worth buying a new hdd , but useful for internet access. I
    recovered a "bad drive" that windows could not boot/format - by using a
    Win98SE CD and starting the install - then FORMAT.

    I had tried removing from laptop, using as slave in desktop - no utility
    could read it - I kept getting " No drive present". Knoppix/Windows/DOS.
    OK - not recovering /able to fix it as-is, so need to reinstall OS.

    I put back into laptop and tried DOS utilities, Fix-It, then tried to
    install Win2000, winXP from CD. Win2k, XP failed at 22% with unrecoverable
    disk error.Tried Fat and NTFS. On Win98SE CD, I elected FORMAT and although
    it spent a LONG time at 23%, eventually it got by that spot , then quickly
    went to 50% and spent a LONG time there, then quickly up to 100% and the
    drive was then reusable. FDisk saw it AND could partition it.
    Started Win200 install - everything went fine.

    I suspect that the "bad spots" on my drive were in the MFD area for NTSF.
    Once I got formatted as Fat32, I did not try to convert /reformat to NTSF.
    At that point I was happy to return PC to user and had her restore her OS.
    ( I didn't have a spare license)

    When linux/windows can't access drive, I've gone back to DOS - boot from
    floppy, run chkdsk/f , scandisk .
    If Seagate/Maxtor - use their install floppy/CD ( low level format etc).

    Good Luck. It required a lot of patience.

    - Bobb -, Mar 20, 2009

  3. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>I have the Blue Screen of Death, with the referenced message during
    >>boot-time.
    >>
    >> I've made the drive a slave and performed disk check and defrag -- there
    >> were errors reported as being fixed, and it needed defragging.
    >>
    >> Unmountable Boot Volume tells me that the boot sector is toast -- I
    >> suppose it might be virually enhanced. I am having trouble with a
    >> recovery strategy for the drive.
    >>
    >> What can I do to recover this drive? I want it to be the Master ...

    > Are you trying to recover data ? or just reuse/"don't want to throw it
    > away?"
    >
    > Last week I had a friend with Thinkpad that wouldn't boot It was an old
    > PC and wasn't worth buying a new hdd , but useful for internet access. I
    > recovered a "bad drive" that windows could not boot/format - by using a
    > Win98SE CD and starting the install - then FORMAT.
    >
    > I had tried removing from laptop, using as slave in desktop - no utility
    > could read it - I kept getting " No drive present". Knoppix/Windows/DOS.
    > OK - not recovering /able to fix it as-is, so need to reinstall OS.
    >
    > I put back into laptop and tried DOS utilities, Fix-It, then tried to
    > install Win2000, winXP from CD. Win2k, XP failed at 22% with unrecoverable
    > disk error.Tried Fat and NTFS. On Win98SE CD, I elected FORMAT and
    > although it spent a LONG time at 23%, eventually it got by that spot ,
    > then quickly went to 50% and spent a LONG time there, then quickly up to
    > 100% and the drive was then reusable. FDisk saw it AND could partition it.
    > Started Win200 install - everything went fine.
    >
    > I suspect that the "bad spots" on my drive were in the MFD area for NTSF.
    > Once I got formatted as Fat32, I did not try to convert /reformat to NTSF.
    > At that point I was happy to return PC to user and had her restore her OS.
    > ( I didn't have a spare license)
    >
    > When linux/windows can't access drive, I've gone back to DOS - boot from
    > floppy, run chkdsk/f , scandisk .
    > If Seagate/Maxtor - use their install floppy/CD ( low level format etc).
    >
    > Good Luck. It required a lot of patience.

    I was able to use a bootable WinXP Pro CD to boot, and then select Recover.
    There is a very good description and resolution procedure on the MSoft
    Website. The procedure said to CHKDSK /R, and this fixed my boot sector. I
    can now boot to the volume, but I find that the copy of XP that is loaded is
    a pirate copy, it hasn't got SP1 and will not pass the validation to load
    SP2, and we're up to SP3 these days.

    The good news is, none of the files appear to be bad, and all of the apps
    that are loaded work properly.

    The resolution for the validation issue is to spend $149 with Mr. Gates to
    get a valid copy of XP that can get past the Validation Police.

    I think one of the ripples of an invalid copy of XP is that Internet
    Explorer is inoperative. Any thoughts on that?

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 20, 2009
  4. Jeff Strickland

    TeeJay1952 Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have the Blue Screen of Death, with the referenced message during
    >>> boot-time.
    >>>
    >>> I've made the drive a slave and performed disk check and defrag --
    >>> there were errors reported as being fixed, and it needed defragging.
    >>>
    >>> Unmountable Boot Volume tells me that the boot sector is toast -- I
    >>> suppose it might be virually enhanced. I am having trouble with a
    >>> recovery strategy for the drive.
    >>>
    >>> What can I do to recover this drive? I want it to be the Master ...

    >> Are you trying to recover data ? or just reuse/"don't want to throw
    >> it away?"
    >>
    >> Last week I had a friend with Thinkpad that wouldn't boot It was an
    >> old PC and wasn't worth buying a new hdd , but useful for internet
    >> access. I recovered a "bad drive" that windows could not boot/format -
    >> by using a Win98SE CD and starting the install - then FORMAT.
    >>
    >> I had tried removing from laptop, using as slave in desktop - no
    >> utility could read it - I kept getting " No drive present".
    >> Knoppix/Windows/DOS. OK - not recovering /able to fix it as-is, so
    >> need to reinstall OS.
    >>
    >> I put back into laptop and tried DOS utilities, Fix-It, then tried to
    >> install Win2000, winXP from CD. Win2k, XP failed at 22% with
    >> unrecoverable disk error.Tried Fat and NTFS. On Win98SE CD, I elected
    >> FORMAT and although it spent a LONG time at 23%, eventually it got by
    >> that spot , then quickly went to 50% and spent a LONG time there, then
    >> quickly up to 100% and the drive was then reusable. FDisk saw it AND
    >> could partition it.
    >> Started Win200 install - everything went fine.
    >>
    >> I suspect that the "bad spots" on my drive were in the MFD area for
    >> NTSF. Once I got formatted as Fat32, I did not try to convert
    >> /reformat to NTSF. At that point I was happy to return PC to user and
    >> had her restore her OS. ( I didn't have a spare license)
    >>
    >> When linux/windows can't access drive, I've gone back to DOS - boot
    >> from floppy, run chkdsk/f , scandisk .
    >> If Seagate/Maxtor - use their install floppy/CD ( low level format etc).
    >>
    >> Good Luck. It required a lot of patience.
    >>

    > I was able to use a bootable WinXP Pro CD to boot, and then select
    > Recover. There is a very good description and resolution procedure on
    > the MSoft Website. The procedure said to CHKDSK /R, and this fixed my
    > boot sector. I can now boot to the volume, but I find that the copy of
    > XP that is loaded is a pirate copy, it hasn't got SP1 and will not pass
    > the validation to load SP2, and we're up to SP3 these days.
    >
    > The good news is, none of the files appear to be bad, and all of the
    > apps that are loaded work properly.
    >
    > The resolution for the validation issue is to spend $149 with Mr. Gates
    > to get a valid copy of XP that can get past the Validation Police.
    >
    > I think one of the ripples of an invalid copy of XP is that Internet
    > Explorer is inoperative. Any thoughts on that?

    Windows Genuine Advantage tool should not kill IE. It does put a
    hesitation on boot and shutdown. It would be wrong of you to google
    remove wga.exe. Can Firefox connect for you?
    Good Luck
    Tee Jay

    TeeJay1952, Mar 20, 2009
  5. "TeeJay1952" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    >>> Are you trying to recover data ? or just reuse/"don't want to throw it
    >>> away?"
    >>>
    >>> Last week I had a friend with Thinkpad that wouldn't boot It was an old
    >>> PC and wasn't worth buying a new hdd , but useful for internet access. I
    >>> recovered a "bad drive" that windows could not boot/format - by using a
    >>> Win98SE CD and starting the install - then FORMAT.
    >>>
    >>> I had tried removing from laptop, using as slave in desktop - no utility
    >>> could read it - I kept getting " No drive present". Knoppix/Windows/DOS.
    >>> OK - not recovering /able to fix it as-is, so need to reinstall OS.
    >>>
    >>> I put back into laptop and tried DOS utilities, Fix-It, then tried to
    >>> install Win2000, winXP from CD. Win2k, XP failed at 22% with
    >>> unrecoverable disk error.Tried Fat and NTFS. On Win98SE CD, I elected
    >>> FORMAT and although it spent a LONG time at 23%, eventually it got by
    >>> that spot , then quickly went to 50% and spent a LONG time there, then
    >>> quickly up to 100% and the drive was then reusable. FDisk saw it AND
    >>> could partition it.
    >>> Started Win200 install - everything went fine.
    >>>
    >>> I suspect that the "bad spots" on my drive were in the MFD area for
    >>> NTSF. Once I got formatted as Fat32, I did not try to convert /reformat
    >>> to NTSF. At that point I was happy to return PC to user and had her
    >>> restore her OS. ( I didn't have a spare license)
    >>>
    >>> When linux/windows can't access drive, I've gone back to DOS - boot from
    >>> floppy, run chkdsk/f , scandisk .
    >>> If Seagate/Maxtor - use their install floppy/CD ( low level format
    >>> etc).
    >>>
    >>> Good Luck. It required a lot of patience.
    >>>

    >> I was able to use a bootable WinXP Pro CD to boot, and then select
    >> Recover. There is a very good description and resolution procedure on the
    >> MSoft Website. The procedure said to CHKDSK /R, and this fixed my boot
    >> sector. I can now boot to the volume, but I find that the copy of XP that
    >> is loaded is a pirate copy, it hasn't got SP1 and will not pass the
    >> validation to load SP2, and we're up to SP3 these days.
    >>
    >> The good news is, none of the files appear to be bad, and all of the apps
    >> that are loaded work properly.
    >>
    >> The resolution for the validation issue is to spend $149 with Mr. Gates
    >> to get a valid copy of XP that can get past the Validation Police.
    >>
    >> I think one of the ripples of an invalid copy of XP is that Internet
    >> Explorer is inoperative. Any thoughts on that?
    >>

    > Windows Genuine Advantage tool should not kill IE. It does put a
    > hesitation on boot and shutdown. It would be wrong of you to google remove
    > wga.exe. Can Firefox connect for you?
    > Good Luck
    > Tee Jay

    It was just an unfortunate alignment of the stars, whatever IE was mad about
    has gone away. IE is working okay. I've jumped through lots of hoops since I
    reported IE not working. I still have a black screen with a notice that my
    Windows is not a valid copy.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 20, 2009
  6. Jeff Strickland

    pupick Guest

    You can call the Indians who have American jobs farmed out by Microsoft and
    get a new validation key.
    Now that the American economy is in the toilet and all the jobs have been
    farmed out I wonder who Microsoft thinks is going to be able to afford Vista
    SP3/Win7?

    pupick, Mar 21, 2009