    have any use of value?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Dave C., Nov 30, 2010

  2. "Dave C." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I started to install file Unlocker to remove a file, but it won't
    > unless I accept the installation of Bing Bar. What is a Bing Bar?
    > Sounds like another toolbar, I guess. I never heard of this. Does it
    > have any use of value?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    The Bing Bar is a tool bar for the Bing search engine. If you are forced to
    install the Bing Toolbar in order to install something else, then pass on
    the something else. Bing is a competitor product to Google Search. I do not
    use any of the many toolbars that are offered. If I want to Google
    something, I click the Google Tab on my browser and put the search criteria
    in the box. I have a tab for three of my favorite Websites that have news
    presentation and offer search capabilities. I get to them by simply clicking
    the tab. My browser is not bogged down with all of the toolbars and add-ons,
    and I like it this way.

    Bing is crap, don't install it and don't install anything that insists that
    you install Bing first.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 30, 2010

  3. Dave C.

    Paul Guest

    Dave C. wrote:
    > I started to install file Unlocker to remove a file, but it won't
    > unless I accept the installation of Bing Bar. What is a Bing Bar?
    > Sounds like another toolbar, I guess. I never heard of this. Does it
    > have any use of value?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    What file did you download ? Sometimes, the problem is
    you get the file from some unknown site, and it's bundled
    with God knows what.

    Was it something like this ? Check the download log on your
    web browser.

    http://files.brothersoft.com/internet/miscellaneous/Unlocker1.9.0.exe

    I started on this page, and it's a bit confusing (on purpose),
    as to what link you're supposed to click. It appears the file
    is stored on another site.

    http://cedrick.collomb.perso.sfr.fr/unlocker/

    Download Unlocker 1.9.0 - 32 bit version

    MD5: 5efff574689b66e52a0911beb11d1e71 / SHA1: 8ed39e4a8942f0cf4949875d13d2b3a5d94c862c

    Now, if I use my copy of MD5SUM and check the file I downloaded,
    the MD5SUM is 5efff574689b66e52a0911beb11d1e71, so at least the
    file I got, has the same checksum as the file information provided
    on Collumb's site.

    It appears that file was last scanned a couple hours ago. You can
    either upload the file, or you can search on this site, using
    the MD5 "hash string", to find a previous scan result. I'm
    not finding a lot of info, on the one thing detected here.
    It could be yet another false positive. (Or even caused by
    the software that is trying to install Bing toolbar.)

    http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan...52e2dfedc2e3672022091f086f65ae7eab-1291128156

    I took a look inside the file with 7ZIP, and didn't see anything
    that looked like a Bing installer. But I could easily have missed
    it. I'm not that good at it :)

    The file I got, in properties, says it is 1,109,025 bytes.

    OK, there is a directory in that Unlocker1.9.0.exe file archive
    called OpenCandy. The OpenCandy_Why_Is_This_Here.txt file in there says:

    "What is OpenCandy?

    OpenCandy is a platform and network which enables software publishers
    to recommend other products, during installation of their software, they
    believe you will find valuable.

    So… What is this folder, its contents, and why is it here?

    These files are only on your computer because you accepted a software
    recommendation. These files are TEMPORARILY copied to a folder within
    the publisher's program files directory until the recommended software
    is downloaded and installation is performed."

    That sounds like the mechanism for offering the Bing installer. I like
    how they use the cute words "recommend other products". Pretty funny.

    If you were to unzip the Unlocker1.9.0.exe file, remove the OCSetupHlp.dll
    file, then perhaps there wouldn't be a BING prompt ? What I don't see, is
    how the OCSetupHlp.dll is getting called, or whether any other software
    in the package, insists that it is present.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 30, 2010
  4. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    On Nov 30, 5:05 pm, Paul <> wrote:
> [...]

    >      to recommend other products, during installation of their software, they
    >      believe you will find valuable.
    >
    >      So What is this folder, its contents, and why is it here?
    >
    >      These files are only on your computer because you accepted a software
    >      recommendation. These files are TEMPORARILY copied to a folder within
    >      the publisher's program files directory until the recommended software
    >      is downloaded and installation is performed."
    >
    > That sounds like the mechanism for offering the Bing installer. I like
    > how they use the cute words "recommend other products". Pretty funny.
    >
    > If you were to unzip the Unlocker1.9.0.exe file, remove the OCSetupHlp.dll
    > file, then perhaps there wouldn't be a BING prompt ? What I don't see, is
    > how the OCSetupHlp.dll is getting called, or whether any other software
    > in the package, insists that it is present.

    Hi Paul (and others),

    When starting the Unlocker installer, after selecting English, the
    next screen presents you with window with a check box to select the
    Bing Tool Bar. If it is deselected, which I did, the installer
    closes. In other words, you can't install the Unlocker without
    agreeing to installing the Bing Bar.

    Good bye Unlocker for sure....don't need a tool bar.

    Thanks,

    I have an older Unlocker (removes hard to delete files) from 2007
    which I was trying to update. I do not use this or Killbox but only
    rarely.

    I use Google Chrome with no tool bars except the one with this
    browser.

    Thanks very much, folks.

    Best regards,

    Dave

    Dave C., Nov 30, 2010
  5. Dave C.

    Paul Guest

    Dave C. wrote:

    > Hi Paul (and others),
    >
    > When starting the Unlocker installer, after selecting English, the
    > next screen presents you with window with a check box to select the
    > Bing Tool Bar. If it is deselected, which I did, the installer
    > closes. In other words, you can't install the Unlocker without
    > agreeing to installing the Bing Bar.
    >
    > Good bye Unlocker for sure....don't need a tool bar.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > I have an older Unlocker (removes hard to delete files) from 2007
    > which I was trying to update. I do not use this or Killbox but only
    > rarely.
    >
    > I use Google Chrome with no tool bars except the one with this
    > browser.
    >
    > Thanks very much, folks.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Dave

    I'm not even sure at this point, that Unlocker needs to be installed.

    1) Install 7ZIP. What this program does, is allow you to open
    things like self-extracting EXE files, without triggering
    the installer inside. That is better, than what would happen
    if you clicked on Unlocker1.9.0.exe directly.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7zip

    2) Move the Unlocker1.9.0.exe into its own folder. That's to
    keep everything neat and tidy.

    3) Once 7ZIP is running, right click on Unlocker1.9.0.exe .
    In the popup menu, use 7ZIP : Open Archive
    and then "Extract"

    That will give you the files inside the .EXE

    4) Now move the original Unlocker1.9.0.exe file some place
    else. You don't want to double click on it by accident.

    5) What should remain, is "Unlocker" and "UnlockerAssistant"
    and the OS driver. Try double clicking on "Unlocker", and
    it will present the file dialog. I think that's what it
    does normally anyway ?

    By doing it that way, you may avoid the "QuickStores" and
    "OpenCandy" nonsense.

    I tested that in a Win2K throwaway virtual machine.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 30, 2010
  6. Dave C.

    Dave C. Guest

    On Nov 30, 6:36 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > Dave C. wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Paul (and others),

    > > When starting the Unlocker installer, after selecting English, the
    > > next screen presents you with window with a check box to select the
    > > Bing Tool Bar.  If it is deselected, which I did, the installer
    > > closes.  In other words, you can't install the Unlocker without
    > > agreeing to installing the Bing Bar.

    > > Good bye Unlocker for sure....don't need a tool bar.

    > > Thanks,

    > > I have an older Unlocker (removes hard to delete files) from 2007
    > > which I was trying to update.  I do not use this or Killbox but only
    > > rarely.

    > > I use Google Chrome with no tool bars except the one with this
    > > browser.

    > > Thanks very much, folks.

    > > Best regards,

    > > Dave

    > I'm not even sure at this point, that Unlocker needs to be installed.
    >
    > 1) Install 7ZIP. What this program does, is allow you to open
    >     things like self-extracting EXE files, without triggering
    >     the installer inside. That is better, than what would happen
    >     if you clicked on Unlocker1.9.0.exe directly.
    >
    >    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7zip
    >
    > 2) Move the Unlocker1.9.0.exe into its own folder. That's to
    >     keep everything neat and tidy.
    >
    > 3) Once 7ZIP is running, right click on Unlocker1.9.0.exe .
    >     In the popup menu, use    7ZIP : Open Archive
    >     and then "Extract"
    >
    >     That will give you the files inside the .EXE
    >
    > 4) Now move the original Unlocker1.9.0.exe file some place
    >     else. You don't want to double click on it by accident.
    >
    > 5) What should remain, is "Unlocker" and "UnlockerAssistant"
    >     and the OS driver. Try double clicking on "Unlocker", and
    >     it will present the file dialog. I think that's what it
    >     does normally anyway ?
    >
    > By doing it that way, you may avoid the "QuickStores" and
    > "OpenCandy" nonsense.
    >
    > I tested that in a Win2K throwaway virtual machine.
    >
    >     Paul

    Thanks, Paul, I'll give that a look and see how it could go.

    Dave

    Dave C., Dec 1, 2010
  7. Dave C.

    Kele Guest

    Wow, closes the installation; that's rare.
    Revo Uninstaller (Pro) is a similar uninstaller
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    with no funny business

    Kele, Dec 1, 2010