Unlimited use, 100mbps fiber for NZ$100/month

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    steve, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Brian Mathews, Dec 4, 2004

  3. It seems like Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:41:31 +1300 was when steve
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >In Japan......
    >
    >Check out the photos documenting the install....especially the last two in
    >the row at the bottom (scroll to the right).
    >
    >http://www.jesse-taylor.com/new/misc_images/100mb_install/index.htm

    I hear lots of people complaining about the relative lack of 'quality'
    broadband here in New Zealand, yet that's just the price we pay to
    live here in New Zealand. Hell, at least we're all not in Iraq.

    I'd rather have slow broadband that's expensive than live in USA, and
    experience all the pitfalls that come with living there. Hey, I like
    not having scorpions, and snakes around my house, spiders are bad
    enough!
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 4, 2004
  4. In article <>, wrote:
    >It seems like Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:41:31 +1300 was when steve
    ><> said Blah blah blah...
    >
    >>In Japan......

    *SNIP*
    >I hear lots of people complaining about the relative lack of 'quality'
    >broadband here in New Zealand, yet that's just the price we pay to
    >live here in New Zealand. Hell, at least we're all not in Iraq.

    *SNIP*

    The thing is that Japan has the same issues with international
    connectivity that NZ does. It's a long way from the US, it's not part
    of any continental land mass, and the ones it's close to are not densely
    populated in the areas near Japan - south-eastern Russia and
    north-western China mostly make the West Coast of NZ look like a
    dense-packed metropolis.
    Like us, they have to get connectivity to Europe and the US by
    sub-oceanic cable or by satellite, and the only difference is the
    relative quantities of connectivity required. The SCC is, based on
    calculations done on reported earnings by the owners, fully paid-for.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Dec 4, 2004
  5. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:48:11 +0000, Matthew Poole wrote:

    > The thing is that Japan has the same issues with international
    > connectivity that NZ does. It's a long way from the US, it's not part of
    > any continental land mass, and the ones it's close to are not densely
    > populated in the areas near Japan - south-eastern Russia and north-western
    > China mostly make the West Coast of NZ look like a dense-packed
    > metropolis.
    > Like us, they have to get connectivity to Europe and the US by sub-oceanic
    > cable or by satellite, and the only difference is the relative quantities
    > of connectivity required. The SCC is, based on calculations done on
    > reported earnings by the owners, fully paid-for.

    True, but I think the international connectivity is irrelevant. Most
    Japanese people only speak/read Japanese, so most of the content they are
    looking for is local. It's a very self contained culture. And the large
    population means that there is a lot of local content.

    Also I betcha this 100Mb/s service is only really offered in heavily
    populated areas. Most city dwellers live in dense apartment blocks where
    this kind of service is easy to offer cost effectively.

    Imagine what Citylink could offer if Wellington had 10-20x the population
    who all lived in high rise apartment blocks, and where 80% or more of the
    content they looked at could be found on WIX.

    It doesn't really sound much like NZ at all to me.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Dec 4, 2004
  6. steve

    Mark S Guest

    Actually no. The Japanese have been replacing their DSL network for some
    time now. Last year NTT brought something like a thousand Juniper T series
    as edge routers.... (10-40Gbps devices).

    The copper infrastructure in a lot of Asian countries has been very poor, so
    many have skipped straight to fibre solutions.

    Funny thing is, you guys act like this isn't happening in New Zealand. Could
    it be that someone is building a huge fibre network right under your noses,
    and intends to roll fibre to the curb, maybe even the door, and offer you
    highspeed data, Voice over IP, streaming video, video on demand? Could it be
    that a large portion of this networks core structure is already built?

    Maybe you should read a few news articles closer to home ;)

    Mark S, Dec 5, 2004
  7. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:07:03 -0600, Mark S wrote:

    > Funny thing is, you guys act like this isn't happening in New Zealand.
    > Could it be that someone is building a huge fibre network right under your
    > noses, and intends to roll fibre to the curb, maybe even the door, and
    > offer you highspeed data, Voice over IP, streaming video, video on demand?
    > Could it be that a large portion of this networks core structure is
    > already built?
    >
    > Maybe you should read a few news articles closer to home ;)

    We weren't discussing the feasibility of doing it at all, we were
    discussing the feasibility of unlimited 100Mb/s connections for NZ$100 per
    month. It's not a technical roadblock, but one of economics.

    I don't forsee mainstream NZ getting that kind of deal anytime soon (I've
    love to be proven wrong though). I was pointing out that deals like that
    are much easier to offer in high population densities when most content is
    local - wiring up a bunch high rise apartment blocks offers a greater ROI
    than wiring up a bunch of suburbs.

    It doesn't matter what kinds of cable Telcos have rolled up to our
    doorsteps - they aren't going to offer services that gut their precious
    existing cash cows unless they are forced to by competition, and that
    competition is going to be a long time coming.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Dec 5, 2004
  8. steve

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:07:03 -0600, Mark S wrote:
    >

    >>Funny thing is, you guys act like this isn't happening in New Zealand.
    >>Could it be that someone is building a huge fibre network right under your
    >>noses, and intends to roll fibre to the curb, maybe even the door, and
    >>offer you highspeed data, Voice over IP, streaming video, video on demand?
    >>Could it be that a large portion of this networks core structure is
    >>already built?
    >>
    >>Maybe you should read a few news articles closer to home ;)

    > We weren't discussing the feasibility of doing it at all, we were
    > discussing the feasibility of unlimited 100Mb/s connections for NZ$100 per
    > month. It's not a technical roadblock, but one of economics.
    >
    > I don't forsee mainstream NZ getting that kind of deal anytime soon (I've
    > love to be proven wrong though). I was pointing out that deals like that
    > are much easier to offer in high population densities when most content is
    > local - wiring up a bunch high rise apartment blocks offers a greater ROI
    > than wiring up a bunch of suburbs.
    >
    > It doesn't matter what kinds of cable Telcos have rolled up to our
    > doorsteps - they aren't going to offer services that gut their precious
    > existing cash cows unless they are forced to by competition, and that
    > competition is going to be a long time coming.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    I don't buy it that its any more difficult to connect WAN technology to
    the home than than POTS
    I've recently got 128k/s telstra cable which was upgraded to 10M/s
    within a couple of years.
    Its volume that brings the prices down, and we are headed in the
    direction of eventually able to Google and stream divx or whatever music
    playlist they drag and drop online. If enough people are accessing the
    content it will be cached locally.
    Telcos don't want to be dealing with legacy crippled switched copper
    pairs, they want everything to be packet data too.
    This will happen patchwork in metropolitan areas and fill in with wifi
    wimax whatever. There are lots of companies with gas water power telco
    networks with pipes trenches and rights. Fiber can run through service
    paths they already have. It'll happen.

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 5, 2004