    a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
    internet access for $9.95 a month ?
    Thanks

    Cowboy Bill, May 19, 2005

  2. On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:07:57 +1200, Cowboy Bill <>
    wrote:

    >What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
    >a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
    >internet access for $9.95 a month ?
    >Thanks

    There isnno such thing

    FreedomChooser, May 19, 2005

  3. Cowboy Bill

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "FreedomChooser" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:07:57 +1200, Cowboy Bill <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
    >>a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
    >>internet access for $9.95 a month ?
    >>Thanks

    > There isnno such thing

    i think hes talking about dial up and not broadband. and the $9.95 deal is
    only to my knowledge through slingshot and in the finer print is only
    available if you have sling shot tolls which if you don't its $14.95

    Ask your self this, for $9.95 do you honestly expect to get same quality as
    what you pay $28.95 for. look at kiwi online...cheap internet, but really
    bad service.
    as the saying goes. you pay for what you get

    cheers

    Krazy Bob, May 19, 2005
  4. Cowboy Bill

    Chris Hope Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:

    > "FreedomChooser" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:07:57 +1200, Cowboy Bill <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying
    >>>$28.95 a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering
    >>>unlimited internet access for $9.95 a month ?
    >>>Thanks

    >> There isnno such thing

    > i think hes talking about dial up and not broadband. and the $9.95
    > deal is only to my knowledge through slingshot and in the finer print
    > is only available if you have sling shot tolls which if you don't its
    > $14.95
    >
    > Ask your self this, for $9.95 do you honestly expect to get same
    > quality as what you pay $28.95 for. look at kiwi online...cheap
    > internet, but really bad service.
    > as the saying goes. you pay for what you get

    I don't know what they are like now, but I did try Slingshot for a three
    month period about three years ago and they were *crap*. You had to
    sign up for a minimum of three months but it was cheap so I thought may
    as well give it a go. I stopped using them after about a week and went
    back to my Clear Net connection.

    Chris Hope, May 19, 2005
  5. "Cowboy Bill" <> wrote in message
    > What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
    > a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
    > internet access for $9.95 a month ?
    > Thanks

    I pay $16.95 via clear and am happy with their service
    I have used telecon, ihug and clear.
    I have been with clear for over 7 years
    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, May 19, 2005
  6. Cowboy Bill

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    >

    >> "FreedomChooser" <> wrote in message

    >>> There isnno such thing

    >> i think hes talking about dial up and not broadband. and the $9.95
    >> deal is only to my knowledge through slingshot and in the finer print
    >> is only available if you have sling shot tolls which if you don't its
    >> $14.95
    >>
    >> Ask your self this, for $9.95 do you honestly expect to get same
    >> quality as what you pay $28.95 for. look at kiwi online...cheap
    >> internet, but really bad service.
    >> as the saying goes. you pay for what you get

    > I don't know what they are like now, but I did try Slingshot for a three
    > month period about three years ago and they were *crap*. You had to
    > sign up for a minimum of three months but it was cheap so I thought may
    > as well give it a go. I stopped using them after about a week and went
    > back to my Clear Net connection.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Hope

    LOL
    A week? You were well prepared for the long haul then. Probably at the
    time of a month of connection problems to Slingshot over a year ago.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 19, 2005
  7. Cowboy Bill

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
    > a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
    > internet access for $9.95 a month ?
    > Thanks

    It seems that KOL has improved a lot going by someone that has tried them
    compared to when they first started. At $16 Slingshot is surprisingly good.
    Just try ihug over any Christmas period as it gets loaded up... if you were
    on ihug over Christmas you wouldn't seen the usual moans in ihug about the
    service at times.
    Whoever you try you don't have to stay with. I still have an account at
    ihug which I'll have to get round to dumping.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 19, 2005
  8. Cowboy Bill

    steve Guest

    Cowboy Bill wrote:
    > What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
    > a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
    > internet access for $9.95 a month ?
    > Thanks

    Slingshot.....but I think you also have to do your tolls through them to
    qualify for the $9.95 / month...and you have to make at least $10 /
    month in calls.

    If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

    steve, May 19, 2005
  9. In message <1116498636.133743@ftpsrv1>, "E. Scrooge"
    <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    >It seems that KOL has improved a lot going by someone that has tried them
    >compared to when they first started. At $16 Slingshot is surprisingly good.

    My (second-hand) experience of KOL is not good. Someone I know signed
    up to pay by cheque - no payment information ever arrived. Of course
    the account isn't activated until payment received, so I don't know
    how good they are once you're actually up and running.

    Slingshot seem pretty solid as an access point, provided you don't
    want to do anything at all technical. Their free web-hosting is
    decidedly unflexible. I have no idea what their news service is like.

    --
    R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    Timaru, New Zealand.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, May 19, 2005
  10. Cowboy Bill

    ~misfit~ Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    >> Krazy Bob wrote:
    >>

    >>> "FreedomChooser" <> wrote in message

    >>> i think hes talking about dial up and not broadband. and the $9.95
    >>> deal is only to my knowledge through slingshot and in the finer
    >>> print is only available if you have sling shot tolls which if you
    >>> don't its $14.95
    >>>
    >>> Ask your self this, for $9.95 do you honestly expect to get same
    >>> quality as what you pay $28.95 for. look at kiwi online...cheap
    >>> internet, but really bad service.
    >>> as the saying goes. you pay for what you get

    >> I don't know what they are like now, but I did try Slingshot for a
    >> three month period about three years ago and they were *crap*. You
    >> had to sign up for a minimum of three months but it was cheap so I
    >> thought may as well give it a go. I stopped using them after about a
    >> week and went back to my Clear Net connection.

    > LOL
    > A week? You were well prepared for the long haul then. Probably at
    > the time of a month of connection problems to Slingshot over a year
    > ago.

    I rang them a year or so ago and asked what their connection speed was like.
    They gave me a temporary username and password and said to try it for 48
    hours free. At the time I was on dial-up with Xtra at twice the price.
    Slingshot I was getting connects between 28 and 36kbs, Xtra 48 and better. I
    stayed with Xtra.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 19, 2005
  11. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > I rang them a year or so ago and asked what their connection speed was like.
    > They gave me a temporary username and password and said to try it for 48
    > hours free. At the time I was on dial-up with Xtra at twice the price.
    > Slingshot I was getting connects between 28 and 36kbs, Xtra 48 and better. I
    > stayed with Xtra.

    funnily enough initial connection speed is usually handled by Telecoms
    equipment, so it sounds like something was mis-congured.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 19, 2005
  12. Cowboy Bill

    michael Guest

    Cowboy Bill wrote:
    > What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
    > a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
    > internet access for $9.95 a month ?
    > Thanks

    wave is good at 9.95 a month.
    wave.co.nz

    michael, May 19, 2005
  13. Cowboy Bill

    PAM. Guest

    "Cowboy Bill" <> wrote in message
    > What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
    > a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
    > internet access for $9.95 a month ?

    It could have something to do with quality or support or the like.
    I asked Paradise if they could match unlimited for even $15 a month. They
    said that people aren't interested in unlimited they want service and
    support. I guess they couldn't.
    My paradise account ends in 4 days. I am now with slingshot and I cannot see
    any difference. Support seems to be fine too.

    PAM.

    PAM., May 20, 2005
  14. PAM. wrote:
    >>What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
    >>a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
    >>internet access for $9.95 a month ?

    > It could have something to do with quality or support or the like.
    > I asked Paradise if they could match unlimited for even $15 a month. They
    > said that people aren't interested in unlimited they want service and
    > support. I guess they couldn't.

    It depends on the users that they are trying to attract... simply
    because you use usenet implies that you have a bit more of a clue than most.

    Users like you are both valuable and worthless at the same time.
    Valuable, because you will probably not call them anywhere near as often
    as the users who are clueless.
    Worthless, because you can happily leave them for another provider
    without batting an eyelid.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2005
  15. Cowboy Bill

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh" <> wrote in message
    > In message <1116498636.133743@ftpsrv1>, "E. Scrooge"
    > <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    >>It seems that KOL has improved a lot going by someone that has tried them
    >>compared to when they first started. At $16 Slingshot is surprisingly
    >>good.

    > My (second-hand) experience of KOL is not good. Someone I know signed
    > up to pay by cheque - no payment information ever arrived. Of course
    > the account isn't activated until payment received, so I don't know
    > how good they are once you're actually up and running.
    >
    > Slingshot seem pretty solid as an access point, provided you don't
    > want to do anything at all technical. Their free web-hosting is
    > decidedly unflexible. I have no idea what their news service is like.
    >
    > --
    > R.G. "Stumpy" Marsh.
    > Timaru, New Zealand.

    Slingshot gets it's news service from ihug.
    They just added free virus protection and spam filtering to their $16 dial
    up service.

    KOL changed their their number and servers. A friend on Paradise said there
    was a big improvement from the crap service KOL started out with.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 20, 2005
  16. Cowboy Bill

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't know what they are like now, but I did try Slingshot for a
    >>> three month period about three years ago and they were *crap*. You
    >>> had to sign up for a minimum of three months but it was cheap so I
    >>> thought may as well give it a go. I stopped using them after about a
    >>> week and went back to my Clear Net connection.

    >> LOL
    >> A week? You were well prepared for the long haul then. Probably at
    >> the time of a month of connection problems to Slingshot over a year
    >> ago.

    > I rang them a year or so ago and asked what their connection speed was
    > like.
    > They gave me a temporary username and password and said to try it for 48
    > hours free. At the time I was on dial-up with Xtra at twice the price.
    > Slingshot I was getting connects between 28 and 36kbs, Xtra 48 and better.
    > stayed with Xtra.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    That's strange. I help someone who is on Xtra from time to time, and my
    Slingshot account on their computer is slightly faster. I've seen their
    Xtra connection at 49kbs, but usually it's 50kbs. Before Slingshot went to
    0873, it was mostly 53.2kbs and other times 52kbs. Now it's 52kbs hardly
    ever getting 53.2kbs on 0873, the few times it connects at 50kbs I just try
    again and get 52kbs. ihug is usually a steady 52kbs.
    I've been on Slingshot well over a year now, for everything except the news
    service it's slightly better than ihug, and went right through Christmas
    without a fault unlike ihug going by the complaints of slow speeds.

    Try Slingshot properly for a few months and you'd probably be surprised, it
    should be faster that what you were getting on that previous setup.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 20, 2005
  17. Cowboy Bill

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "michael" <> wrote in message
    > Cowboy Bill wrote:
    >> What is the going rate for unlimited internet access.I am paying $28.95
    >> a month for a dial up access.I see some providers are offering unlimited
    >> internet access for $9.95 a month ?
    >> Thanks

    > wave is good at 9.95 a month.
    > wave.co.nz

    Not according to it's website it isn't, not for flat rate anyway. 10 bucks
    only gets 15 hours.
    $19.95 (20 bucks) flat rate with tolls - no tolls and it's $27.95 (28 bucks
    same as ihug of course since ihug owns Wave).

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 20, 2005
  18. Cowboy Bill

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 12:03:39 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Users like you are both valuable and worthless at the same time.
    > Valuable, because you will probably not call them anywhere near as often
    > as the users who are clueless.
    > Worthless, because you can happily leave them for another provider
    > without batting an eyelid.

    No customer is worthless, the problem is to hold onto them.

    Gordon, May 20, 2005
  19. Cowboy Bill

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:30:25 +1200, wrote:

    > you pay for what you get

    There are exceptions, that is why the search goes on.

    Gordon, May 20, 2005
  20. Gordon wrote:
    >>Users like you are both valuable and worthless at the same time.
    >>Valuable, because you will probably not call them anywhere near as often
    >>as the users who are clueless.
    >>Worthless, because you can happily leave them for another provider
    >>without batting an eyelid.

    > No customer is worthless, the problem is to hold onto them.

    yeah, I know, worthless wasn't the word I was looking for, and i still
    can't think of it.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2005