    can I delete them & if so, how ?

    Thans

    KK

    KRK, Feb 2, 2009

  2. Hi
    Just like TV and Radio have channels that let you choose what you want to
    receive, Wireless senses what is available around.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 2, 2009

  3. KRK

    John Guest

    "KRK" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > In network centre (wireless) I find some networks that I do not recognise
    > (eg, 'Betty' ).

    I'd say those are people near you (eg: neighbors). You're not in the jungle,
    are you?

    > I have not set any of them up. What are they & where have they come from
    > ?, can I delete them & if so, how ?

    Sure. Go to your neighbor's house/apartment. Ask the to turn off their wifi
    devices.

    John, Feb 2, 2009
  4. KRK

    KRK Guest

    Re: unknown wireless networks - follow up question

    Hi & thanks

    Does this mean that others can read my public folders & shared files ?

    KRK, Feb 4, 2009
  5. KRK

    James Egan Guest

    Re: unknown wireless networks - follow up question

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:15:36 -0000, "KRK"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi & thanks
    >
    >Does this mean that others can read my public folders & shared files ?

    Not unless you join Betty's network and share out some folders for
    her.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Feb 4, 2009
  6. Re: unknown wireless networks - follow up question

    Hi
    Any one that can connect to your Network wire or wireless can read the
    shares.
    Wireless security is existing for this purpose so that other can not
    connect.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    Switching Off SSID (same as No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
    it is Off)
    MAC Filtering ______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can
    be easily spoofed).
    -------------------
    The three above are Not considered safe.
    Safe Starts here at WPA.
    -------------------
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)