    Avast

    Oh Yes, & cpu fan not keeping up with cpu temperature! Eek!

    roj

    Roger Gelder, Apr 17, 2007

  2. Roger Gelder

    John Barnes Guest

    Did you try another restore point? If you are overheating, there can be all
    kinds of exceptions not fixable by restore. Did your problem happen once,
    or constantly and is it happening when the cpu is overheated

    John Barnes, Apr 17, 2007

  3. If you're having temperature problems, you need to solve those FIRST.
    They're likely the issue.

    The ways to resolve them include:
    1.) a thorough clean out of dust, etc. from the case/motherboard/fans
    2.) upgraded case that does a better job of cooling (I dropped 15 degrees C
    with a case change on an x64 box.)
    3.) upgraded fans in current case.
    4.) Upgraded cooler from AMD stock

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 17, 2007
  4. Roger Gelder

    John Barnes Guest

    My cpu fan hasn't been on in over a week. The case fans and heatsink keep
    the temps low enough that it doesn't turn on. When room temps are around
    21C the cpu core temp runs around 24C-25C and the cpu fan doesn't kick in to
    low speed until 28C-29C. If I were a gamer I am sure it would be
    different, but with average cpu usage at around 65% I have no problems.

    John Barnes, Apr 21, 2007
  5. Yeah, all of mine are running at very low speeds. Overall temperatures stay
    pretty good, except the Ferrari. I need to open it up and do a clean out on
    it - it's starting to run a bit warmer than I'm happy with.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 21, 2007
  6. Roger Gelder

    Roger Gelder Guest

    As advised, I cleaned the fan - MUCH better - but currently
    sitting at 48'C - ? Stable but still higher than expected?
    AMD reckon the operating temperature should be 50'C.

    The unknown exception has now 'Gone away' - good.
    What I would like to do though, is a 'repair installation'.
    I have the Win XP Pro x64 cd, but I downloaded the SP2
    file and 'ran' it. Now, when I want to repair, from the old cd,
    I am told that it is an old edition and I need to use the up-to-date
    version, presumably from the SP2 download - Oh?

    Can I build a bootable cd with SP2 on-board?
    Your thoughts and advice would be very welcome.
    Thanks
    roj

    Roger Gelder, Apr 23, 2007
  7. You can build a slipstreamed cd. I use AutoStreamer. Works fine.

    --
    Colin Barnhorst
    MVP Virtual Machine

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 23, 2007
  8. Roger Gelder

    Guest

    On Apr 23, 9:24 am, "Roger Gelder" <> wrote:
    > As advised, I cleaned the fan - MUCH better - but currently
    > sitting at 48'C - ? Stable but still higher than expected?
    > AMD reckon the operating temperature should be 50'C.
    >
    > The unknown exception has now 'Gone away' - good.
    > What I would like to do though, is a 'repair installation'.
    > I have the Win XP Pro x64 cd, but I downloaded the SP2
    > file and 'ran' it. Now, when I want to repair, from the old cd,
    > I am told that it is an old edition and I need to use the up-to-date
    > version, presumably from the SP2 download - Oh?
    >
    > Can I build a bootable cd with SP2 on-board?
    > Your thoughts and advice would be very welcome.
    > Thanks
    > roj
    >
    > "Roger Gelder" <> wrote in message

    > > "In iexplore.exe unknown software exception ( 0xc0000005)
    > > application location 0x6600accc. "

    > > Atempted to restore to 1 week ago - failed! OOPS!
    > > Searched MS but not found, recommendations, please.

    > > System
    > > ASUS mb A8N5X, cpu Athlon x64,
    > > Win XP Professional, x64
    > > Avast

    > > Oh Yes, & cpu fan not keeping up with cpu temperature! Eek!

    > > roj

    I've done the repair installation after installing SP2. I didn't get
    such a message. I just did the repair, then sp2, then all the drivers,
    then update to get whatever security fixes MS deems I require.

    I still can't load .net rev 3. :-(

    , Apr 24, 2007
  9. Roger Gelder

    John Barnes Guest

    I suggest you contact Microsoft technical support. I had problems with rev
    2 and was provided with a competent and free technician until the problem
    was resolved.

    John Barnes, Apr 24, 2007
  10. Roger Gelder

    Roger Gelder Guest

    A final question before biting the bullet.
    The fan is now fully fixed, temps at 43' +/- 3' C,
    more or less permanently - so OK there.

    However, I still have s/w problems in XP
    and in IE, arising since SP2 instal.

    In "Add or Remove Programs" can I remove SP2,
    revert to SP1, repair with my original Win XP Pro x64
    cd and THEN update back to SP2?

    Your thoughts, please and many thanks for help.
    roj

    Roger Gelder, Apr 25, 2007
  11. yes, that should be doable.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 25, 2007