Unknown program keeps popping back up

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by John Vogel, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. John Vogel

    John Vogel Guest

    Greetings! I have been getting this strange program popping up in my task
    manager every day. I have no idea what this program is, and have looked all
    over for anybody who might know the purpose of this program. Unfortunately,
    I haven't been able to find any reference to this anywhere.

    The program is in my Windows/System folder and is named "scxwyvk.exe".
    Sometimes, when things seem to be sluggish and non-responsive on my system,
    I go into my task manager, and there it is. I will end the task, and a
    little while later it will pop right back up.

    I've run Ad-Aware, SPybot S&D and two different virus scanners as well as
    one online Virus Scanner. None of these have found anything.

    Upon doing a search for "scxwyvk" I found the following files on my
    computer:
    scxwyvk.exe - C:\Windows\System32
    scxwyvk.opt - C:\Windows\System32
    SCWYVK.EXE-142CEEAD.pf - C:\Windows\Prefetch

    Any help would be appreciated here. I know I can simply delete the file(s)
    and probably take care of the problem... but that's not going to answer my
    questions as to what this is, how it go there, and what it has been doing
    (if anything).

    TIA

    John Vogel, Jul 21, 2004

  2. John Vogel

    Robsten Guest

    typed:John Vogel wrote
    > Greetings! I have been getting this strange program popping up in my
    > task manager every day. I have no idea what this program is, and have
    > looked all over for anybody who might know the purpose of this
    > program. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any reference to
    > this anywhere.
    >
    > The program is in my Windows/System folder and is named "scxwyvk.exe".
    > Sometimes, when things seem to be sluggish and non-responsive on my
    > system, I go into my task manager, and there it is. I will end the
    > task, and a little while later it will pop right back up.
    >
    > I've run Ad-Aware, SPybot S&D and two different virus scanners as
    > well as one online Virus Scanner. None of these have found anything.
    >
    > Upon doing a search for "scxwyvk" I found the following files on my
    > computer:
    > scxwyvk.exe - C:\Windows\System32
    > scxwyvk.opt - C:\Windows\System32
    > SCWYVK.EXE-142CEEAD.pf - C:\Windows\Prefetch
    >

    > Any help would be appreciated here. I know I can simply delete the
    > file(s) and probably take care of the problem... but that's not going
    > to answer my questions as to what this is, how it go there, and what
    > it has been doing (if anything).
    >
    > TIA

    You can try Process explorer and see what you find out of the little
    bastard.

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    And try to run CWShredder, sometimes it works when nothing else do it:

    http://www.spychecker.com/program/coolwebshredder.html

    You should try to install regcleaner, see what you can remove, bee carefully
    thou

    http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/Software/RegCleaner.exe
    from my site

    Good luck!
    --
    Robban Stenkvist
    http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080
    Robsten, Jul 21, 2004

  3. John Vogel

    John Vogel Guest

    "Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)> wrote in message
    > typed:John Vogel wrote
    > > Greetings! I have been getting this strange program popping up in my
    > > task manager every day. I have no idea what this program is, and have
    > > looked all over for anybody who might know the purpose of this
    > > program. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any reference to
    > > this anywhere.
    > >
    > > The program is in my Windows/System folder and is named "scxwyvk.exe".
    > > Sometimes, when things seem to be sluggish and non-responsive on my
    > > system, I go into my task manager, and there it is. I will end the
    > > task, and a little while later it will pop right back up.
    > >
    > > I've run Ad-Aware, SPybot S&D and two different virus scanners as
    > > well as one online Virus Scanner. None of these have found anything.
    > >
    > > Upon doing a search for "scxwyvk" I found the following files on my
    > > computer:
    > > scxwyvk.exe - C:\Windows\System32
    > > scxwyvk.opt - C:\Windows\System32
    > > SCWYVK.EXE-142CEEAD.pf - C:\Windows\Prefetch
    > >

    > > Any help would be appreciated here. I know I can simply delete the
    > > file(s) and probably take care of the problem... but that's not going
    > > to answer my questions as to what this is, how it go there, and what
    > > it has been doing (if anything).
    > >
    > > TIA

    > > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    > You can try Process explorer and see what you find out of the little
    > bastard.
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
    >
    > And try to run CWShredder, sometimes it works when nothing else do it:
    >
    > http://www.spychecker.com/program/coolwebshredder.html
    >
    > You should try to install regcleaner, see what you can remove, bee

    carefully
    > thou
    >
    > http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/Software/RegCleaner.exe
    > from my site
    >
    > Good luck!
    > --
    > Robban Stenkvist
    > http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

    Thank you. I ran the Process Explorer, but to be honest, I really don't know
    what the hell I am looking at :-D
    It seems to be accessing a lot of Internet Explorer settings (in particular
    the cookies settings), as well as accessing files having to do with UserEnv
    settings.
    This looks even more like a nasty trojan or at the very least spyware... but
    i've never come across a program or process I couldn't eventually track
    down.

    Thanks for the advice. I think I will move the files (above) to a different
    location (floppy disk?) to get them off my hard drive and continue to look
    for what on earth this is... thanks again...

    P.S. I'm not sure how cleaning my registry will help with this particular
    problem, but good advice nonetheless... I really do need to clean my
    registry :)

    John Vogel, Jul 21, 2004
  4. John Vogel

    > You should try to install regcleaner, see what you can remove, bee

    carefully
    > thou
    >
    > http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/Software/RegCleaner.exe
    > from my site

    Hey, just wanted to say... this "regcleaner" is one of the best registry
    utilities I have come across in a while. This program is great for seeing
    just what is in your registry, startup, etc. without having to wade through
    all those keys and whatnot. This is really a great tool! I think you should
    rename it, though. Registry Cleaner doesn't even begin to explain this
    programs functionality... I think "Registry Examiner" would be more approp.

    Anyway, thanks for turning me on to this program :)

    P.S. You don't happen to know what "Ameu" is, do you? It's run from
    muat.exe, and is set in my start-up's... don't have the slightest idea what
    it's pupose is...

    John Vogel, Jul 21, 2004
  5. John Vogel

    Robsten Guest

    typed:John Vogel wrote
    > "Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)> wrote in message
    >> typed:John Vogel wrote
    >>> Greetings! I have been getting this strange program popping up in
    >>> my task manager every day. I have no idea what this program is, and
    >>> have looked all over for anybody who might know the purpose of this
    >>> program. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any reference to
    >>> this anywhere.
    >>>
    >>> The program is in my Windows/System folder and is named
    >>> "scxwyvk.exe". Sometimes, when things seem to be sluggish and
    >>> non-responsive on my system, I go into my task manager, and there
    >>> it is. I will end the task, and a little while later it will pop
    >>> right back up.
    >>>
    >>> I've run Ad-Aware, SPybot S&D and two different virus scanners as
    >>> well as one online Virus Scanner. None of these have found anything.
    >>>
    >>> Upon doing a search for "scxwyvk" I found the following files on my
    >>> computer:
    >>> scxwyvk.exe - C:\Windows\System32
    >>> scxwyvk.opt - C:\Windows\System32
    >>> SCWYVK.EXE-142CEEAD.pf - C:\Windows\Prefetch
    >>>

    >>> Any help would be appreciated here. I know I can simply delete the
    >>> file(s) and probably take care of the problem... but that's not
    >>> going to answer my questions as to what this is, how it go there,
    >>> and what it has been doing (if anything).
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    >> You can try Process explorer and see what you find out of the little
    >> bastard.
    >>
    >> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
    >>
    >> And try to run CWShredder, sometimes it works when nothing else do
    >> it:
    >>
    >> http://www.spychecker.com/program/coolwebshredder.html
    >>
    >> You should try to install regcleaner, see what you can remove, bee
    >> carefully thou
    >>
    >> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/Software/RegCleaner.exe
    >> from my site
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >> --
    >> Robban Stenkvist
    >> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

    > Thank you. I ran the Process Explorer, but to be honest, I really
    > don't know what the hell I am looking at :-D
    > It seems to be accessing a lot of Internet Explorer settings (in
    > particular the cookies settings), as well as accessing files having
    > to do with UserEnv settings.
    > This looks even more like a nasty trojan or at the very least
    > spyware... but i've never come across a program or process I couldn't
    > eventually track down.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice. I think I will move the files (above) to a
    > different location (floppy disk?) to get them off my hard drive and
    > continue to look for what on earth this is... thanks again...
    >
    > P.S. I'm not sure how cleaning my registry will help with this
    > particular problem, but good advice nonetheless... I really do need
    > to clean my registry :)

    If it's a trojan, it have a key in the reg, presumably. I think its a
    spyware, I still presume the reg is dirty.
    In PE you can kill the process before you delete the files, sometimes you
    have to do so.
    I think PE not was right for you, prcview is better, lock at it, its stand
    alone and does not install any key's or dll's

    http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm

    --
    Robban Stenkvist
    http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080
    Robsten, Jul 21, 2004
  6. John Vogel

    Robsten Guest

    typed:John Vogel wrote
    > "Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)> wrote in message
    >> You should try to install regcleaner, see what you can remove, bee
    >> carefully thou
    >>
    >> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/Software/RegCleaner.exe
    >> from my site

    > Hey, just wanted to say... this "regcleaner" is one of the best
    > registry utilities I have come across in a while. This program is
    > great for seeing just what is in your registry, startup, etc. without
    > having to wade through all those keys and whatnot. This is really a
    > great tool! I think you should rename it, though. Registry Cleaner
    > doesn't even begin to explain this programs functionality... I think
    > "Registry Examiner" would be more approp.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for turning me on to this program :)
    >
    > P.S. You don't happen to know what "Ameu" is, do you? It's run from
    > muat.exe, and is set in my start-up's... don't have the slightest
    > idea what it's pupose is...

    Not a clue, its not in my XP home, pro, or 98, take it away, you have a
    backup in regcleaner, if it's any problem, reinstall it.

    Another VERY fine freeware for the reg, don't miss it. "regseeker".

    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

    You can find som other soft on my site, I have test all exept "spamhiliator"
    I recomend G-lock spamcombat, very good, almost never fail, its true.

    --
    Robban Stenkvist
    http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080
    Robsten, Jul 21, 2004
  7. John Vogel

    Robsten Guest

    typed:Robsten wrote
    --

    Adaware is shit, find nothing. I don't lika Spyboot any longer, not powerful
    anough.

    http://www.adwarexeliminator.com/

    Good spyware removers are also Pestpatrol and maybee webroots spyremover.

    Robban Stenkvist
    http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080
    Robsten, Jul 21, 2004
  8. John Vogel

    > typed:Robsten wrote
    > --
    >
    > Adaware is shit, find nothing. I don't lika Spyboot any longer, not

    powerful
    > anough.
    > Try adware Xeliminator, it takes eveything, i think you have a free scan.
    >
    > http://www.adwarexeliminator.com/
    >
    > Good spyware removers are also Pestpatrol and maybee webroots spyremover.
    >

    > Robban Stenkvist
    > http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

    Thanks Robban, Appreciate the info. I agree with you abotu Adaware and
    Spybot, they do seem a bit... useless, for the most part. I think I finally
    figured out what my problem was... it WAS spyware, and the name of the
    actual spyware was NDrv.exe (or something to that effect)... I finally found
    a program that actually knew what the hell it was, as well as telling me
    just about everything the program did... Have you ever heard of Security
    Task Manager (http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/) ? First time I ever ran
    across this program and it seems VERY useful... let me know what you think
    about it. I'm going to check out adware Xeliminator, thanks again for the
    link!

    P.S. PestPatrol doesn't seem to me to be any better then Adaware or SpyBot,
    and seems to let lots of pests through, but maybe it's just me ;)

    John Vogel, Jul 21, 2004
  9. John Vogel

    Robsten Guest

    typed:John Vogel wrote
    > "Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)> wrote in message
    >> typed:Robsten wrote
    >> --
    >>
    >> Adaware is shit, find nothing. I don't lika Spyboot any longer, not
    >> powerful anough.
    >> Try adware Xeliminator, it takes eveything, i think you have a free
    >> scan.
    >>
    >> http://www.adwarexeliminator.com/
    >>
    >> Good spyware removers are also Pestpatrol and maybee webroots
    >> spyremover.
    >>

    >> Robban Stenkvist
    >> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

    > Thanks Robban, Appreciate the info. I agree with you abotu Adaware and
    > Spybot, they do seem a bit... useless, for the most part. I think I
    > finally figured out what my problem was... it WAS spyware, and the
    > name of the actual spyware was NDrv.exe (or something to that
    > effect)... I finally found a program that actually knew what the hell
    > it was, as well as telling me just about everything the program
    > did... Have you ever heard of Security Task Manager
    > (http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/) ? First time I ever ran across
    > this program and it seems VERY useful... let me know what you think
    > about it. I'm going to check out adware Xeliminator, thanks again for
    > the link!
    >
    > P.S. PestPatrol doesn't seem to me to be any better then Adaware or
    > SpyBot, and seems to let lots of pests through, but maybe it's just
    > me ;)

    Never heard of it. Seems good, will ckeck it out, thanks!
    About Pestpatrol I think, it doe's not take it all, nothing takes it all,
    you have to have, (Iam from sweden, excuse the lang), moore than one.
    Anyway, I think P.P is better than adaware and Spyboot, don't forget to
    update.
    A really good free antivirus is antidot:
    http://www.vintage-solutions.com/English/Antivirus/Super/index.html . It's
    good at trojan dropper and trojans, it has no guard, it does't install
    itself in your PC, it run itself in a tempfile, its a good complement to
    your standard antivirus, and it takes the malware between trojans and
    spyware, found trojandroppers who my regular antivirussoft and spyremovers
    miss.

    --
    Robban Stenkvist
    http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080
    Robsten, Jul 21, 2004
  10. John Vogel

    Robin T Cox Guest

    > typed:Robsten wrote
    > --
    >
    > Adaware is shit, find nothing. I don't lika Spyboot any longer, not
    > powerful anough.
    > Try adware Xeliminator, it takes eveything, i think you have a free
    > scan.
    >
    > http://www.adwarexeliminator.com/
    >
    > Good spyware removers are also Pestpatrol and maybee webroots
    > spyremover.
    >

    > Robban Stenkvist
    > http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

    See:

    Re: adware xeliminator - false positives work as goad to purchase; same
    app as ADS Adware Remover, AdwareSpy, Privacy Tools 2004, & The Web Shield;
    Ad-aware knockoff

    Re: webroot - SpyBot S&D clone

    You're no better off (in fact) with the above than if you were to use the
    original Ad-aware and SpyBot S&D.
    Robin T Cox, Jul 22, 2004
  11. John Vogel

    Robsten Guest

    typed:Robin T Cox wrote
    > "Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)> wrote in
    >
    >> typed:Robsten wrote
    >> --
    >>
    >> Adaware is shit, find nothing. I don't lika Spyboot any longer, not
    >> powerful anough.
    >> Try adware Xeliminator, it takes eveything, i think you have a free
    >> scan.
    >>
    >> http://www.adwarexeliminator.com/
    >>
    >> Good spyware removers are also Pestpatrol and maybee webroots
    >> spyremover.
    >>

    >> Robban Stenkvist
    >> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080
    >>

    > See:
    > http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    >
    > Re: adware xeliminator - false positives work as goad to purchase;
    > same app as ADS Adware Remover, AdwareSpy, Privacy Tools 2004, & The
    > Web Shield; Ad-aware knockoff
    >
    > Re: webroot - SpyBot S&D clone
    >
    > You're no better off (in fact) with the above than if you were to use
    > the original Ad-aware and SpyBot S&D.

    Well, I thought X eli found a little to many spyware's, maybee it is
    something who's not right. Good site, something to think about.
    --
    Robban Stenkvist
    http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080
    Robsten, Jul 22, 2004
  12. John Vogel

    Robsten Guest

    >> See:
    >> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    >>
    >> Re: adware xeliminator - false positives work as goad to purchase;
    >> same app as ADS Adware Remover, AdwareSpy, Privacy Tools 2004, & The
    >> Web Shield; Ad-aware knockoff
    >>
    >> Re: webroot - SpyBot S&D clone
    >>
    >> You're no better off (in fact) with the above than if you were to use
    >> the original Ad-aware and SpyBot S&D.

    > Well, I thought X eli found a little to many spyware's, maybee it is
    > something who's not right. Good site, something to think about.
    > --
    > Robban Stenkvist
    > http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

    I have past your info to my site, thanks!

    --
    Robban Stenkvist
    http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080
    Robsten, Jul 22, 2004
  13. John Vogel

    _____gt_____ Guest

    _____gt_____, Jul 25, 2004
  14. John Vogel

    KBob Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:34:15 -0400, "John Vogel"
    <> wrote:

    >"Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)> wrote in message
    >> You should try to install regcleaner, see what you can remove, bee

    >carefully
    >> thou
    >>
    >> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/Software/RegCleaner.exe
    >> from my site

    >Hey, just wanted to say... this "regcleaner" is one of the best registry
    >utilities I have come across in a while. This program is great for seeing
    >just what is in your registry, startup, etc. without having to wade through
    >all those keys and whatnot. This is really a great tool! I think you should
    >rename it, though. Registry Cleaner doesn't even begin to explain this
    >programs functionality... I think "Registry Examiner" would be more approp.
    >
    >Anyway, thanks for turning me on to this program :)
    >
    >P.S. You don't happen to know what "Ameu" is, do you? It's run from
    >muat.exe, and is set in my start-up's... don't have the slightest idea what
    >it's pupose is...

    Also use RegCleaner frequently, it's helpful in that it clearly shows
    the "new" registry entries that are most likely to contain the
    culprit(s). Install and run AdAware also, making sure to update it
    frequently. It often identifies and optionally eliminates these kinds
    of pests, even including browser hijacks.
    KBob, Jul 25, 2004
  15. John Vogel

    Robin T Cox Guest

    >>> See:
    >>> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    >>>
    >>> Re: adware xeliminator - false positives work as goad to purchase;
    >>> same app as ADS Adware Remover, AdwareSpy, Privacy Tools 2004, & The
    >>> Web Shield; Ad-aware knockoff
    >>>
    >>> Re: webroot - SpyBot S&D clone
    >>>
    >>> You're no better off (in fact) with the above than if you were to use
    >>> the original Ad-aware and SpyBot S&D.

    >> Well, I thought X eli found a little to many spyware's, maybee it is
    >> something who's not right. Good site, something to think about.
    >> --
    >> Robban Stenkvist
    >> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

    > I have past your info to my site, thanks!
    >
    > --
    > Robban Stenkvist
    > http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

    Glad to help!

    Robin
    Robin T Cox, Jul 27, 2004
  16. John Vogel

    C. Santerre Guest

    To find out what the abbreviations mean for programs in your startup, go
    here:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

    For other programs, go here:

    C. Santerre, Aug 3, 2004