    Is my Hard Drive missing or damaged?

    Nelly.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    Nelly, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Nelly

    Mercury Guest

    Nelly, when reporting errors it really helps if they are reported 100% as
    they are.

    "windows could not start because of an error in
    the software

    and then Load needed DLL's for kernel"

    If the last line above is your own comment, then take a look at this link:
    http://www.pctoday.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=fcc4b9c0653748738880e824ff5324eb&ErrorID=21800

    It suggests that some windows software files are stuffed and to do a Inplace
    Upgrade aka Repair install. For instructions see: www.michaelstevenstech.com

    If this is the case, you disc drive may be on its way out or there could be
    some other fault.

    HTH

    Mercury, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Nelly

    Richard Guest

    Nelly wrote:
    > I'm hoping this isn't what I'm thinking.
    >
    > One of my computers running Windows XP Home will not fire up. The
    > first error message is "windows could not start because of an error in
    > the software
    >
    > and then Load needed DLL's for kernel"

    When my sisters machine as doing this same message, it was actually ram.

    when booting the windows cd, it would either bail at the start, or get thru to
    just after it loaded the drivers and then says starting windows where it would
    have some other issue.

    swapped the ram, and the install that was on there went fine.

    Richard, Jul 3, 2005
  4. Nelly

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Nelly wrote:
    > > I'm hoping this isn't what I'm thinking.
    > >
    > > One of my computers running Windows XP Home will not fire up. The
    > > first error message is "windows could not start because of an error in
    > > the software
    > >
    > > and then Load needed DLL's for kernel"

    > When my sisters machine as doing this same message, it was actually ram.
    >
    > when booting the windows cd, it would either bail at the start, or get

    thru to
    > just after it loaded the drivers and then says starting windows where it

    would
    > have some other issue.
    >
    > swapped the ram, and the install that was on there went fine.

    You were lucky XP files can become corrupt due to not loading properly when
    crashing due to RAM.
    My Athlon with GB of RAM was nightmare right from new. Apart from crashing
    it worked until XP would no longer load up. 4 times it went back (as most
    here already know). It had XP re-installed twice and the new hard drive
    replaced with another new hard drive. On the last return I told them to
    spend some time on it and leave the bastard running - they soon found what I
    already knew that it was crash happy. It was a faulty 512MB stick of RAM.
    Tested ok, would also display full RAM when going, but no good at all with
    the dud stick in it by itself. With the dud RAM replaced it's gone
    faultless ever since over the last few years.

    Without knowing more about Nelly's PC age and specs and then it would still
    be guessing until it's checked out, but also could mean once any hardware
    fault has been found that XP will need re-installing.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Nelly

    Nelly Guest

    On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 01:37:24 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Nelly wrote:
    >> > I'm hoping this isn't what I'm thinking.
    >> >
    >> > One of my computers running Windows XP Home will not fire up. The
    >> > first error message is "windows could not start because of an error in
    >> > the software
    >> >
    >> > and then Load needed DLL's for kernel"

    >> When my sisters machine as doing this same message, it was actually ram.
    >>
    >> when booting the windows cd, it would either bail at the start, or get

    >thru to
    >> just after it loaded the drivers and then says starting windows where it

    >would
    >> have some other issue.
    >>
    >> swapped the ram, and the install that was on there went fine.

    >You were lucky XP files can become corrupt due to not loading properly when
    >crashing due to RAM.
    >My Athlon with GB of RAM was nightmare right from new. Apart from crashing
    >it worked until XP would no longer load up. 4 times it went back (as most
    >here already know). It had XP re-installed twice and the new hard drive
    >replaced with another new hard drive. On the last return I told them to
    >spend some time on it and leave the bastard running - they soon found what I
    >already knew that it was crash happy. It was a faulty 512MB stick of RAM.
    >Tested ok, would also display full RAM when going, but no good at all with
    >the dud stick in it by itself. With the dud RAM replaced it's gone
    >faultless ever since over the last few years.
    >
    >Without knowing more about Nelly's PC age and specs and then it would still
    >be guessing until it's checked out, but also could mean once any hardware
    >fault has been found that XP will need re-installing.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    I'll take it to OEM today as it's still under warranty (6 months old).
    My daughter had two projects due today so we are desperately hoping
    all is not lost :(

    Nelly, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Nelly

    thing Guest

    Nelly wrote:
    > I'm hoping this isn't what I'm thinking.
    >
    > One of my computers running Windows XP Home will not fire up. The
    > first error message is "windows could not start because of an error in
    > the software
    >
    > and then Load needed DLL's for kernel"
    >
    > When I try and load Windows XP Home from the CD Rom my next error
    > message is "Unknown Disk (there is no disk in this drive)" and another
    > message is "Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass
    > storage devices installed in your system".
    >
    > Is my Hard Drive missing or damaged?
    >

    > Nelly.
    > If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    This sometimes just happens, a power off and a restart and it
    disappears....I would think you have done this so.....

    Go into the bios and see if the hd auto-detects, if it does not you need
    it opened and the cables to it checked.

    If it still does not it suggests a dead hd, dodgy psu, dodgy
    motherboard, so it needs to go back to the shop.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 3, 2005
  7. Nelly

    Nelly Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 08:32:57 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >Nelly wrote:
    >> I'm hoping this isn't what I'm thinking.
    >>
    >> One of my computers running Windows XP Home will not fire up. The
    >> first error message is "windows could not start because of an error in
    >> the software
    >>
    >> and then Load needed DLL's for kernel"
    >>
    >> When I try and load Windows XP Home from the CD Rom my next error
    >> message is "Unknown Disk (there is no disk in this drive)" and another
    >> message is "Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass
    >> storage devices installed in your system".
    >>
    >> Is my Hard Drive missing or damaged?
    >>

    >> Nelly.
    >> If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    >This sometimes just happens, a power off and a restart and it
    >disappears....I would think you have done this so.....
    >
    >Go into the bios and see if the hd auto-detects, if it does not you need
    >it opened and the cables to it checked.
    >
    >If it still does not it suggests a dead hd, dodgy psu, dodgy
    >motherboard, so it needs to go back to the shop.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    Thanks, since it is still under warranty I won't open it up. I'm
    taking it back to OEM today they are always excellent and look after
    me :)

    Nelly, Jul 3, 2005
  8. Nelly

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Nelly" < > wrote in message
    > On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 01:37:24 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >

    > >"Richard" <> wrote in message

    in

    > >> When my sisters machine as doing this same message, it was actually

    ram.

    > >> when booting the windows cd, it would either bail at the start, or get

    > >thru to
    > >> just after it loaded the drivers and then says starting windows where

    it
    > >would
    > >> have some other issue.
    > >>
    > >> swapped the ram, and the install that was on there went fine.

    > >You were lucky XP files can become corrupt due to not loading properly

    when
    > >crashing due to RAM.
    > >My Athlon with GB of RAM was nightmare right from new. Apart from

    crashing
    > >it worked until XP would no longer load up. 4 times it went back (as

    most
    > >here already know). It had XP re-installed twice and the new hard drive
    > >replaced with another new hard drive. On the last return I told them to
    > >spend some time on it and leave the bastard running - they soon found

    what I
    > >already knew that it was crash happy. It was a faulty 512MB stick of

    RAM.
    > >Tested ok, would also display full RAM when going, but no good at all

    with
    > >the dud stick in it by itself. With the dud RAM replaced it's gone
    > >faultless ever since over the last few years.
    > >
    > >Without knowing more about Nelly's PC age and specs and then it would

    still
    > >be guessing until it's checked out, but also could mean once any hardware
    > >fault has been found that XP will need re-installing.
    > >
    > >E. Scrooge
    > >

    > I'll take it to OEM today as it's still under warranty (6 months old).
    > My daughter had two projects due today so we are desperately hoping
    > all is not lost :(
    >

    > Nelly.
    > If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    They should be able to sort it out. When they replaced the hard drive in
    mine thinking that was the problem (Dunedin PC Company store when it with
    going) they saved the few new files of mine transferring them onto the new
    hard drive. As long as there's not something drastic with your hard drive
    your daughter's files should be okay. I'd suspect the RAM after my own
    problems right from day 1, but yours might be a completely different
    problem. Get them to check it out well, mine sat in the store running a
    benchmark program all day to put a load on it without any further problems.
    I didn't care how long it took as long as it was fixed, especially after
    taking it back 4 times. Which is also why I'd never buy a system from a
    mail order - the in person hassles can be bad enough.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 3, 2005
  9. Nelly

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Nelly" < > wrote in message
    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 08:32:57 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >
    > >Nelly wrote:
    > >> I'm hoping this isn't what I'm thinking.
    > >>
    > >> One of my computers running Windows XP Home will not fire up. The
    > >> first error message is "windows could not start because of an error in
    > >> the software
    > >>
    > >> and then Load needed DLL's for kernel"
    > >>
    > >> When I try and load Windows XP Home from the CD Rom my next error
    > >> message is "Unknown Disk (there is no disk in this drive)" and another
    > >> message is "Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass
    > >> storage devices installed in your system".
    > >>
    > >> Is my Hard Drive missing or damaged?
    > >>

    > >> Nelly.
    > >> If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    > >This sometimes just happens, a power off and a restart and it
    > >disappears....I would think you have done this so.....
    > >
    > >Go into the bios and see if the hd auto-detects, if it does not you need
    > >it opened and the cables to it checked.
    > >
    > >If it still does not it suggests a dead hd, dodgy psu, dodgy
    > >motherboard, so it needs to go back to the shop.
    > >
    > >regards
    > >
    > >Thing

    > Thanks, since it is still under warranty I won't open it up. I'm
    > taking it back to OEM today they are always excellent and look after
    > me :)
    >

    > Nelly.
    > If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    Exactly. It's not worth risking the warranty over, and if a bit of hardware
    is stuffed you'd still be stuck.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 3, 2005
  10. Nelly

    thing Guest

    This might help..........

    ".........Apparently, there's a wonderful utility out there that will
    fix a corrupt NTFS table with a single command. Is it buried in
    Microsoft's labrynthian support site? Is it a third-part fix offered by
    those who profit from the "all-powerful" Windows? Is it even something
    that Microsoft might have thought would be useful to have on it's own
    perfectly bootable install disk?

    No.

    It was ntfsfix, and it resides on, among other Live CD distros, Knoppix.

    So, CD-R in hand, I downloaded the latest copy of Knoppix from nearby
    Purdue University (though somehow I got the German version. I suspect
    revenge for teasing computer science geeks when I was attending Purdue
    as a physics geek). I burned the ISO, booted the Windows box and after
    getting into su on the terminal, typed:

    ntfsfix /dev/hda1

    In 44 seconds (I timed it), it was done. I rebooted to Windows running
    CHKDSK, and eventually a repaired machine.
    ........."

    http://linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2005070101826OPSW

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 3, 2005
  11. On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:12:11 +1200, thing <> wrote:

    >This might help..........
    >
    >".........Apparently, there's a wonderful utility out there that will
    >fix a corrupt NTFS table with a single command. Is it buried in
    >Microsoft's labrynthian support site? Is it a third-part fix offered by
    >those who profit from the "all-powerful" Windows? Is it even something
    >that Microsoft might have thought would be useful to have on it's own
    >perfectly bootable install disk?
    >
    >No.
    >
    >It was ntfsfix, and it resides on, among other Live CD distros, Knoppix.

    You believe a third party product that claims to write an undocumented
    format can be absolutely guaranteed to work

    Everyone with half a brian knows the claims of the Linux community to
    produce a writable NTFS system are pure fantasy pie in the sky

    FreedomChooser, Jul 4, 2005
  12. Nelly

    Nelly Guest

    On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 09:11:32 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >> >This sometimes just happens, a power off and a restart and it
    >> >disappears....I would think you have done this so.....
    >> >
    >> >Go into the bios and see if the hd auto-detects, if it does not you need
    >> >it opened and the cables to it checked.
    >> >
    >> >If it still does not it suggests a dead hd, dodgy psu, dodgy
    >> >motherboard, so it needs to go back to the shop.
    >> >
    >> >regards
    >> >
    >> >Thing

    >> Thanks, since it is still under warranty I won't open it up. I'm
    >> taking it back to OEM today they are always excellent and look after
    >> me :)
    >>

    >> Nelly.
    >> If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours :)

    >Exactly. It's not worth risking the warranty over, and if a bit of hardware
    >is stuffed you'd still be stuck.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    The computer was nicely delivered back to me tonight, it was a faulty
    HD. Now all I have to do is reload the software and the hardest thing
    for me the wireless network connection. Thumbs up to OEM :)

    Nelly, Jul 5, 2005
  13. Nelly

    SCO0T3R Guest

    On , , Tue, 05 Jul 2005 05:04:04 +1200, Re: Unknown Disk,
    FreedomChooser <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:12:11 +1200, thing <> wrote:
    >
    >>This might help..........
    >>
    >>".........Apparently, there's a wonderful utility out there that will
    >>fix a corrupt NTFS table with a single command. Is it buried in
    >>Microsoft's labrynthian support site? Is it a third-part fix offered by
    >>those who profit from the "all-powerful" Windows? Is it even something
    >>that Microsoft might have thought would be useful to have on it's own
    >>perfectly bootable install disk?
    >>
    >>No.
    >>
    >>It was ntfsfix, and it resides on, among other Live CD distros, Knoppix.

    >You believe a third party product that claims to write an undocumented
    >format can be absolutely guaranteed to work
    >
    >Everyone with half a brian

    But you don't have half a "brian" (sic) Patrick, in fact you
    aren't even a proper man.

    --
    Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus
    ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem. (In the good

    SCO0T3R, Jul 9, 2005