Unknown Device in Device Manager - Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?VElDYXJzb24=?=, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. Hello all,

    I have just built a new computer using an ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard, Intel
    Q6600 CPU, 4GB G.skill RAM, (2) ASUS 7300GT video cards, 3 hard disk drives
    on a COMBOX driver swapper controller (This allows me to choose which drive
    to boot from). On drive (1) I have installed Windows 2003 Server and have it
    configured as a workstation (Perfect install and all devices recognized). On
    drive (2) I have installed Windows XP Professional x64 (Problems here). On
    Drive (3) I have installed Windows Vista x64 (Perfect install and all devices
    recognized).

    My problem is with the intstallation on drive (2 - Windows XP Pro x64),
    everything installed and working with no problems, with the exception of 4
    Unknown device lines in Device Manager. When viewing devices by connection
    these 4 lines are listed under Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System.

    In the properties for these drivers the details tab Device Instance Id shows
    the values "ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_EM64T_FAMILY_6_MODEL_15\_0",
    "ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_EM64T_FAMILY_6_MODEL_15\_1",
    "ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_EM64T_FAMILY_6_MODEL_15\_2" and
    "ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_EM64T_FAMILY_6_MODEL_15\_4" for each unknown device.
    The Compatible Ids show value: ACPI\Processor.

    When I boot into my Windows 2003 OS the driver details for the devices point
    to "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\intelppm.sys" as the proper driver. When in
    my Windows XP x64 OS I have the Unknown device question marks. There is also
    no registry entry for
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm]. The Windows
    2003 install on drive 1 has a registry entry for this key.

    All drivers have been downloaded and installed from the ASUS website and as
    stated above, everything seems to be working properly. I just want to clear
    up the Unknown device question marks. I think that the Q6600 processor
    driver is not being detected properly during the initial setup or after I
    load xp x64 SP2.

    I have re-loaded the Windows XP Pro x64 OS three times. I have been on the
    phone with Microsoft, ASUS and Intel with no help from either of these
    sources and have searched the internet for 2 days for solutions and/or a
    driver to solve this problem. I have not installed any other software other
    than the OS.

    Two questions:
    (1) Does Windows XP Pro x64 support quad core processors?
    (2) What harm will it be or what problems may occur going forward if I just
    disable these devices and move on?.

    I have tried all that I know and have searched forums, newsgroups, etc. with
    no success. Please help. I wanted to install/test both OSes as Windows XP
    Professional 32-bit does not recognize my 4GB of RAM.

    Thanks much in advance.

    =?Utf-8?B?VElDYXJzb24=?=, Sep 21, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VElDYXJzb24=?=

    John Adams Guest

    Although you've probably already tried this, make sure you have the latest
    Intel chipset drivers. That usually picks up several unknown devices. I
    don't know if XP 64 supports quad-core processors or not.

    John Adams, Sep 21, 2007

  3. It should support two sockets and don't give a hoot what's inside!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 21, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VElDYXJzb24=?=

    Terabass Guest

    I got the exact same setup and exact same problem.

    Got X64 w 4 gb Ram Q6600 .. same **** shows up.
    Also my sound card does not work SoundMAX sound card doesnt work , so i
    got a Creative Professoinal EMu 1212 sound card, and it does also not
    show up under device manager. Now I am left with 2 unknown devices, one
    named X221WL980B0293910 and other just saying unknown device.

    Please let me know if you got a fix.

    I got a ASUS GFX card too.

    --
    Terabass