    where do they use Unix and where do they use Unix.
    Also where can I get this operating systems? are they free or not.
    thanks inadvance.
    Amir, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Amir

    VWWall Guest

    Amir wrote:

    > Hello everyone:
    > I have a question about Unix and Linux.
    >
    > Could some one please explain what is the difference between the Unix and
    > Linux.
    > where do they use Unix and where do they use Unix.
    > Also where can I get this operating systems? are they free or not.
    > thanks inadvance.

    I'd say have a look on Google--you'll be overwhelmed! Here's a start:

    Unix is a commercial system with several proprietary varieties still in
    use. Linux is an open source system with many of the "flavors" of Unix,
    but available free. One is permitted to make a reasonable charge for
    the distribution of Linux, but not for the program itself.

    Look here: http://www.linux.org/

    Also there is a good NG at: alt.linux, and many others.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........
    VWWall, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Amir

    derek / nul Guest

    Ever heard of google?

    derek / nul, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Amir

    Weakling Guest

    "Amir" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone:
    > I have a question about Unix and Linux.
    >
    > Could some one please explain what is the difference between the Unix and
    > Linux.
    > where do they use Unix and where do they use Unix.
    > Also where can I get this operating systems? are they free or not.
    > thanks inadvance.

    Unix is a somewhat expensive operating system and is used mainly for
    servers. I couldn't tell ya where to get it.

    Linux is a free operating system. It is useful for running servers as well
    as workstations. However, don't expect much multimedia or gaming support.
    You might spend hours/days/weeks/MONTHS just to get a DVD player to work.
    There are several distributions available for free download. Just download
    the ISO files, and use them to burn your CDs. There are several
    distributions available... might have to try several to find one that fits
    your needs.

    http://www.knoppix.org (I recommend this one just to see what it looks like
    and if it will work on your hardware. You don't have to install Knoppix ...
    it runs directly off a CD.)
    http://www.mandrake.com
    http://www.linspire.com
    http://www.debian.org
    http://fedora.redhat.com (My favorite)
    http://www.slackware.com
    http://www.suse.com
    http://www.gentoo.org (Beware: This one takes several days to install)
    http://www.xandros.com

    That covers most of the major distributions. You can find a more complete
    list at http://www.linux.org/dist/list.html
    Weakling, Jun 30, 2004