    off the player. Totally unacceptable.

    I've sent them an email and they replied that I can press the chapter
    forward button to skip, but that is simply untrue.
    Frank, Sep 3, 2003

  2. "Frank" <> wrote in message news:p...
    > I've sent them an email and they replied that I can press the chapter
    > forward button to skip, but that is simply untrue.

    They are meaning "fast forward". You can forward through the commercials,
    you just can't chapter skip past them. That doesn't make it any less
    idiotic, but you can get through them in a couple seconds if you fast
    forward at the highest possible setting.
    Brandon Fisher, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Frank

    Chuck B. Guest

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:24:21 -0400, "Frank" <> wrote:

    >I'll be returning Sixteen Candles (if I can -it's opened) as well as Weird
    >Science, Animal House, and Breakfast Club.
    >
    >The instant the DVD is put in the player, it plays annoying commercials that
    >can't be skipped. I can't even stop the DVD from playing except by powering
    >off the player. Totally unacceptable.
    >
    >I've sent them an email and they replied that I can press the chapter
    >forward button to skip, but that is simply untrue.

    I figured the "High School Reunion Collection" would have
    player 'hijacking', looks like everything Universal is releasing does.
    Chuck B., Sep 4, 2003
  4. Frank

    Dunf Guest

    First, hit the stop button as soon you see the Legal warnings (ie. b)
    then, hit the dvd menu button to take you diretcho to the main menu.

    Dunf, Sep 4, 2003
  5. Frank

    Dunf Guest

    "Chuck B." <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:24:21 -0400, "Frank" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'll be returning Sixteen Candles (if I can -it's opened) as well as

    Weird
    > >Science, Animal House, and Breakfast Club.
    > >
    > >The instant the DVD is put in the player, it plays annoying commercials

    that
    > >can't be skipped. I can't even stop the DVD from playing except by

    powering
    > >off the player. Totally unacceptable.
    > >
    > >I've sent them an email and they replied that I can press the chapter
    > >forward button to skip, but that is simply untrue.
    > >

    > I figured the "High School Reunion Collection" would have
    > player 'hijacking', looks like everything Universal is releasing does.

    John Hughes made 3 decent films. Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Uncle Buck
    and Ferris Bueller. I see none of them mentioned in the above post so...who
    gives a damn. Ok, just kidding, but really, hit the stop button on your
    remote during the legal warning segment that precedes the ads. Then, hit the
    dvd menu button to take you to..the main menu. Universal has there heads up
    some old bags crotchety webbed genitals. Universal has always sucked! They
    released Scarface poorly. Like Finster sais, ****..em
    Dunf, Sep 4, 2003
  6. Frank

    Trevor S Guest

    "Frank" <> wrote in news:p:

    > I'll be returning Sixteen Candles (if I can -it's opened) as well as
    > Weird Science, Animal House, and Breakfast Club.
    >
    > The instant the DVD is put in the player, it plays annoying
    > commercials that can't be skipped. I can't even stop the DVD from
    > playing except by powering off the player. Totally unacceptable.
    >
    > I've sent them an email and they replied that I can press the chapter
    > forward button to skip, but that is simply untrue.

    You need a player with the UOP disabled to allow you to skip this :)

    http://www.campsiehifi.com.au/index.php?apg=upgrade

    U - UOP Bypass
    The Upgrade Re-Enables Control Functionality which is normally Revoked in
    "User Operations Prohibited" Programmed Sections of DVD Video Discs (such
    as the "FBI" warning which does not apply in Australia).

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein
    Trevor S, Sep 4, 2003
  7. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Trevor S" <> wrote in message
    > "Frank" <> wrote in news:p:
    >
    > > I'll be returning Sixteen Candles (if I can -it's opened) as well as
    > > Weird Science, Animal House, and Breakfast Club.
    > >
    > > The instant the DVD is put in the player, it plays annoying
    > > commercials that can't be skipped. I can't even stop the DVD from
    > > playing except by powering off the player. Totally unacceptable.
    > >
    > > I've sent them an email and they replied that I can press the chapter
    > > forward button to skip, but that is simply untrue.

    > You need a player with the UOP disabled to allow you to skip this :)
    >
    > http://www.campsiehifi.com.au/index.php?apg=upgrade
    >
    > U - UOP Bypass
    > The Upgrade Re-Enables Control Functionality which is normally Revoked in
    > "User Operations Prohibited" Programmed Sections of DVD Video Discs (such
    > as the "FBI" warning which does not apply in Australia).

    Thanks for the work-arounds fellows. I just figure that I can do without -
    even though I like said films. I'm tired of companies craming their crap
    down the consumers throat. They exist because of us, and if enough people
    could get on board, Universal would change the policy in a second. problem
    is, no one is willing to "do without"....

    I applaud Disney for seeing the light and even going as far as stating that
    the MENU button can be used to bypass their commercials.
    Frank, Sep 4, 2003
  8. Frank

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Frank" <> wrote in message news:p...
    > I'll be returning Sixteen Candles (if I can -it's opened) as well as Weird
    > Science, Animal House, and Breakfast Club.
    >
    > The instant the DVD is put in the player, it plays annoying commercials

    that
    > can't be skipped. I can't even stop the DVD from playing except by

    powering
    > off the player. Totally unacceptable.
    >
    > I've sent them an email and they replied that I can press the chapter
    > forward button to skip, but that is simply untrue.

    I was going to buy Sixteen Candles and Weird Science tomorrow,
    but not now. I really hate DVDs that are made this way.
    Mark Jones, Sep 4, 2003
  9. Frank

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Sep 4, 2003
  10. Frank

    Guest

    Re: Universal - stop annoying unskippable commercials!!!!!! - Cheap Fix

    If you officially want to "protest" their actions, then rent the DVD,
    Rip it to DVDR, and bingo, the movie now starts playing when you put it
    in your player without any commercials or menus. Of course, any other
    special features (except subtitles, chapter stops and audio
    commentaries) are stripped out also.
    , Sep 6, 2003