Universal Python Meaning Of Life reply

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Peter Williams, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. "Thank you for contacting Universal Studios. With the advent of
    cutting-edge technology in the DVD format, a small number of DVD
    players do not have the technical capability to take full advantage of
    the "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life" disc format. Universal
    Studios Home Video has become aware of a player specific issue which
    results in the appearance of jagged video interlacing, on disc 1 only.
    Disc 2 is NOT affected. Consumers with an incompatible player may
    mail back Disc 1 to Universal and receive a replacement. To obtain a
    pre-paid USPS envelope in which to mail back the original Disc 1,
    please call 1-800-433-4673. Replacement discs are currently scheduled
    to be available mid-November 2003.

    We appreciate your patronage and hope you continue to enjoy our
    products.

    Sincerely,
    Universal Studios Home Video
    Code=MPML"

    Neat - However, the player I have a problem with is a brand new
    Phillips Prog Scan. It works GREAT with every other DVD in my
    collection (Almost 400).

    And if it's only a small set of players. Why did they set up a "MONTY
    PYTHON MEANING OF LIFE DISK REPLACEMENT HOTLINE" If it was that small
    a #, couldn't the regular cust service # take care of it?

    So, mail the disk in Sept, get the replacement in Nov. What a way to
    run a business.

    Peter Williams, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Peter Williams

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Peter Williams wrote in
    <>:

    >"Thank you for contacting Universal Studios. With the advent of
    >cutting-edge technology in the DVD format, a small number of DVD
    >players do not have the technical capability to take full advantage of
    >the "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life" disc format. Universal
    >Studios Home Video has become aware of a player specific issue which
    >results in the appearance of jagged video interlacing, on disc 1 only.
    > Disc 2 is NOT affected. Consumers with an incompatible player may
    >mail back Disc 1 to Universal and receive a replacement. To obtain a
    >pre-paid USPS envelope in which to mail back the original Disc 1,
    >please call 1-800-433-4673. Replacement discs are currently scheduled
    >to be available mid-November 2003.
    >
    >We appreciate your patronage and hope you continue to enjoy our
    >products.
    >
    >Sincerely,
    >Universal Studios Home Video
    >Code=MPML"
    >

    >Neat - However, the player I have a problem with is a brand new
    >Phillips Prog Scan. It works GREAT with every other DVD in my
    >collection (Almost 400).

    Anyone with more than zero professional experience troubleshooting
    hardware/software issues could tell you it is idiotic to conclude the
    disk is at fault based on the minimal data your lazy ass was willing
    to collect. It's new so it can't be the player? Hello, Sherlock--the
    DVD is new too. Works great with every other DVD? How does that
    establish whether or not the Phillips is out of spec on something?
    You've got a mind like a steel colander.

    >And if it's only a small set of players. Why did they set up a "MONTY
    >PYTHON MEANING OF LIFE DISK REPLACEMENT HOTLINE" If it was that small
    >a #, couldn't the regular cust service # take care of it?
    >
    >So, mail the disk in Sept, get the replacement in Nov. What a way to
    >run a business.

    Wow, I'll bet you would bitch about finding a wallet full of Ben
    Franklins. What, they couldn't have filled it with more convenient
    smaller denominations? And no money clip? Bastards.

    Hey, maybe you should sue them.

    Steve Hanson, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Peter Williams

    TB Guest

    "Steve Hanson" whined:

    (snip)

    > >Neat - However, the player I have a problem with is a brand new
    > >Phillips Prog Scan. It works GREAT with every other DVD in my
    > >collection (Almost 400).

    > Anyone with more than zero professional experience troubleshooting
    > hardware/software issues could tell you it is idiotic to conclude the
    > disk is at fault based on the minimal data your lazy ass was willing
    > to collect. It's new so it can't be the player? Hello, Sherlock--the
    > DVD is new too. Works great with every other DVD? How does that
    > establish whether or not the Phillips is out of spec on something?
    > You've got a mind like a steel colander.

    obnoxious ****, you completely ignore simple logic. The guy says he has
    played hundreds of dvds on his "new" player and this one is the *only* one
    that doesn't play properly. Not to mention doznes of other people including
    myself have posted how this disc plays of various dvd players *plus*
    Universal's admission there *is* a problem with the disc and it adds up to
    you making a complete ass of yourself.

    > >And if it's only a small set of players. Why did they set up a "MONTY
    > >PYTHON MEANING OF LIFE DISK REPLACEMENT HOTLINE" If it was that small
    > >a #, couldn't the regular cust service # take care of it?
    > >
    > >So, mail the disk in Sept, get the replacement in Nov. What a way to
    > >run a business.

    > Wow, I'll bet you would bitch about finding a wallet full of Ben
    > Franklins. What, they couldn't have filled it with more convenient
    > smaller denominations? And no money clip? Bastards.
    >
    > Hey, maybe you should sue them.

    Maybe you should shut the **** up.

    T.B.

    TB, Sep 15, 2003
  4. Peter Williams

    Frank Guest

    *groan* here we go again.

    I'll keep my money and pass. What is it about Python DVD's? Holy Grail had
    a sub-title problem.

    Frank, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Peter Williams

    Paul Guest

    > *groan* here we go again.
    >
    > I'll keep my money and pass. What is it about Python DVD's? Holy Grail

    had
    > a sub-title problem.

    No one's mentioned yet that the new Meaning Of Life still does not have the
    voiceover on the "Short Subject" and "Feature Presentation" cards. The
    original film, and the first VHS release, contained a voice announcing "a
    short film of approximately 10 minutes" and "our feature presentation" while
    the cards were displayed. These annoucements were removed for the initial
    DVD release and have not been reinstated for this "Special Edition."

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 16, 2003
  6. Peter Williams

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <T7q9b.81566$>, TB
    <> wrote:

    > Maybe you should shut the **** up.

    There's no maybe about it.

    Max Volume, Sep 16, 2003
  7. You are without a doubt one of the biggest assholes I have ever
    encountered on these groups.

    If you had done any research, sh*t for brains, you'd have seen that
    MANY people have the same problem and that Universal has admited so.

    My problem was with them blaming the problem on 'Cutting Edge
    technology' instead of a mistake on their part, which people with much
    more knowledge than you have determined was an encoding error on
    Universal's part.

    Use what little you have of a brain before you reply next time.

    Peter Williams, Sep 16, 2003
  8. Peter Williams

    Max Volume Guest

    In article <>, Peter Williams
    <> wrote:

    > My problem was with them blaming the problem on 'Cutting Edge
    > technology' instead of a mistake on their part, which people with much
    > more knowledge than you have determined was an encoding error on
    > Universal's part.

    Exactly. It's called "corporate spin", or more politely "Public
    Relations". I call it a crock of shit. At any rate, I think it's time
    to find a copy of the original DVD release.

    Max Volume, Sep 16, 2003
  9. Peter Williams

    Zimmy Guest

    Doesn't this all boil down to an improperly flagged DVD?
    Doesn't every progressive scan player show this problem?

    I'm no help, I bought the disc and own 3 progressive scan players but
    haven't opened it up yet. ;)

    > "Thank you for contacting Universal Studios. With the advent of

    snip

    Zimmy, Sep 16, 2003
  10. Peter Williams

    Evil Guest

    (Peter Williams) wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Thank you for contacting Universal Studios. With the advent of
    > cutting-edge technology in the DVD format, a small number of DVD
    > players do not have the technical capability to take full advantage of
    > the "Monty Python's The Meaning of Life" disc format. Universal
    > Studios Home Video has become aware of a player specific issue which
    > results in the appearance of jagged video interlacing, on disc 1 only.
    > Disc 2 is NOT affected. Consumers with an incompatible player may
    > mail back Disc 1 to Universal and receive a replacement. To obtain a
    > pre-paid USPS envelope in which to mail back the original Disc 1,
    > please call 1-800-433-4673. Replacement discs are currently scheduled
    > to be available mid-November 2003.
    >
    > We appreciate your patronage and hope you continue to enjoy our
    > products.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Universal Studios Home Video
    > Code=MPML"
    >

    > Neat - However, the player I have a problem with is a brand new
    > Phillips Prog Scan. It works GREAT with every other DVD in my
    > collection (Almost 400).
    >
    > And if it's only a small set of players. Why did they set up a "MONTY
    > PYTHON MEANING OF LIFE DISK REPLACEMENT HOTLINE" If it was that small
    > a #, couldn't the regular cust service # take care of it?
    >
    > So, mail the disk in Sept, get the replacement in Nov. What a way to
    > run a business.

    Are the non-skippable ads on ANIMAL HOUSE and THE JOHN HUGHES movies
    also a result of "cutting edge technology"? fsckers!!!

    Evil, Sep 16, 2003
  11. Peter Williams <> wrote:
    > "...To obtain a pre-paid USPS envelope in which to mail back the original
    > Disc 1, please call 1-800-433-4673."

    I called this number: the person who answered insisted on reading me
    the entire press release in a stilted voice that made me think I was
    talking to a Macintosh's text-to-speech converter. ("Jagged" ought
    really to have more than one syllable.)

    But they're sending me the envelope, which I suppose is the main thing.
    Amusingly enough, they still had my address in their records from some
    of the previous recalls (_Back to the Future_, _Jurassic Park_ DTS).

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

    Douglas Bailey, Sep 16, 2003
  12. Peter Williams

    Dunf Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message

    > > *groan* here we go again.
    > >
    > > I'll keep my money and pass. What is it about Python DVD's? Holy Grail

    > had
    > > a sub-title problem.

    > No one's mentioned yet that the new Meaning Of Life still does not have

    the
    > voiceover on the "Short Subject" and "Feature Presentation" cards. The
    > original film, and the first VHS release, contained a voice announcing "a
    > short film of approximately 10 minutes" and "our feature presentation"

    while
    > the cards were displayed. These annoucements were removed for the initial
    > DVD release and have not been reinstated for this "Special Edition."
    >
    > Paul

    I will mail Universal chunks of my shit instead of the dvd; which plays fine
    in my Sony 360 by the way. Universal is full of it. Just think of the crappy
    transfers they have slung on us. Finally they get Scarface right? Ever look
    at WB's Batman? That was the very first dvd ever released and it looks
    pretty damn good so, what was Universals excuse for bad transfers released a
    year or two later?.

    Dunf, Sep 17, 2003
  13. Peter Williams

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Peter Williams wrote in <>:

    >You are without a doubt one of the biggest assholes I have ever
    >encountered on these groups.
    >
    >If you had done any research, sh*t for brains, you'd have seen that
    >MANY people have the same problem and that Universal has admited so.
    >
    >My problem was with them blaming the problem on 'Cutting Edge
    >technology' instead of a mistake on their part, which people with much
    >more knowledge than you have determined was an encoding error on
    >Universal's part.
    >
    >Use what little you have of a brain before you reply next time.

    Ha ha, look at the fuckwit squirm.

    Strangely enough this DVD with an "encoding error" plays just fine on
    my equipment. You'll notice I never said there wasn't a DVD error
    with the pressing, just that a dumbfuck like you seems to be in the
    habit of screaming first and asking questions later. The problem
    could be with the encoding, with the player's interpretation of spec,
    or a weird combination of the two. You have no information to go on
    so you're an idiot for jumping happily to whatever conclusion suits
    your need to whine.

    You'll get a new DVD so I still have to wonder what the **** you were
    bitching and moaning about in the first place.

    I guess you're one of those people who loves to bitch. In which case
    I'm glad I got you all hot bothered, as your red-faced reply attests.
    People like you deserve to get pissed off, pissed on, and any other
    permutation that involves a stream of urine and you.

    Steve Hanson, Sep 17, 2003
  14. Peter Williams

    Steve Hanson Guest

    TB wrote in <T7q9b.81566$>:

    >"Steve Hanson" whined:
    >
    >(snip)
    >
    >> >Neat - However, the player I have a problem with is a brand new
    >> >Phillips Prog Scan. It works GREAT with every other DVD in my
    >> >collection (Almost 400).

    >> Anyone with more than zero professional experience troubleshooting
    >> hardware/software issues could tell you it is idiotic to conclude the
    >> disk is at fault based on the minimal data your lazy ass was willing
    >> to collect. It's new so it can't be the player? Hello, Sherlock--the
    >> DVD is new too. Works great with every other DVD? How does that
    >> establish whether or not the Phillips is out of spec on something?
    >> You've got a mind like a steel colander.

    >obnoxious ****, you completely ignore simple logic. The guy says he has
    >played hundreds of dvds on his "new" player and this one is the *only* one
    >that doesn't play properly. Not to mention doznes of other people including
    >myself have posted how this disc plays of various dvd players *plus*
    >Universal's admission there *is* a problem with the disc and it adds up to
    >you making a complete ass of yourself.

    Different DVDs have different features. The spec has been loosely
    interpreted on numerous players and in numerous encoding software.
    Anyone even minimally educated on this subject knows that.

    Oh except for the twat brigade which you seem to be a senior member
    of.

    Simple logic? You've just demonstrated a complete lack of it.

    >> >And if it's only a small set of players. Why did they set up a "MONTY
    >> >PYTHON MEANING OF LIFE DISK REPLACEMENT HOTLINE" If it was that small
    >> >a #, couldn't the regular cust service # take care of it?
    >> >
    >> >So, mail the disk in Sept, get the replacement in Nov. What a way to
    >> >run a business.

    >> Wow, I'll bet you would bitch about finding a wallet full of Ben
    >> Franklins. What, they couldn't have filled it with more convenient
    >> smaller denominations? And no money clip? Bastards.
    >>
    >> Hey, maybe you should sue them.

    >Maybe you should shut the **** up.

    Great comeback, retard.

    Steve Hanson, Sep 17, 2003
  15. Okay, I get it.

    Because the disk plays fine in YOUR equipment, the Hundreds of us who
    are having problems with it are NOT allowed to complain? You just
    continue to prove yourself yourself to be an arrogant ass more with
    each post you make!

    There is no 'Jumping to conclusions'. There was a problem with the
    disk. End of Story! The problem is NOT my player, nor the players of
    the MANY others who have noticed the problem. So 397 DVD's work fine
    on my player. One doesn't. That HAS to be the player's problem. Of
    Course. Why didn't I see that?

    Idiot!

    'Wondering what I was bitching and moaning about' I guess you can't
    read. My post was mainly to post the reply I got from Universal and
    share with the group. But, please feel free to ignore my future posts,
    Moron!

    Peter Williams, Sep 18, 2003
  16. Peter Williams

    TB Guest

    "Steve Hanson" mumbled:

    (snip)

    > Different DVDs have different features. The spec has been loosely
    > interpreted on numerous players and in numerous encoding software.
    > Anyone even minimally educated on this subject knows that.

    Well, the bottom line is plenty of people are saying this disc doesn't play
    properly on a wide variety of players. Universal has acknowledged a problem
    and is offering replacements. Do you understand that even the studio that
    released the dvd realizes there is a problem, stupid? Maybe you should make
    a trip to Universal Studios in Burbank and insist to any tour guide that
    will listen that the dvd is perfectly fine because it plays great on *your*
    player.

    > Oh except for the twat brigade which you seem to be a senior member
    > of.

    Sounds like a little petty insecurity coming through due to other people
    unanimously pointing out what a complete moron you are.

    > Simple logic? You've just demonstrated a complete lack of it.

    Ohhhhhhhhhh-kay, Spock.

    > >> Wow, I'll bet you would bitch about finding a wallet full of Ben
    > >> Franklins. What, they couldn't have filled it with more convenient
    > >> smaller denominations? And no money clip? Bastards.
    > >>
    > >> Hey, maybe you should sue them.

    > >Maybe you should shut the **** up.

    > Great comeback, retard.

    Nice way to avoid the original reply, dunce.

    When are you starting a crusade and try to get all the original rotted
    "Kentucky Fried Movie" dvds back on the streets.

    T.B.

    TB, Sep 18, 2003
  17. Peter Williams

    Steve Hanson Guest

    TB wrote in <k09ab.1481$>:

    >"Steve Hanson" mumbled:
    >
    >(snip)
    >
    >> Different DVDs have different features. The spec has been loosely
    >> interpreted on numerous players and in numerous encoding software.
    >> Anyone even minimally educated on this subject knows that.

    >Well, the bottom line is plenty of people are saying this disc doesn't play
    >properly on a wide variety of players. Universal has acknowledged a problem
    >and is offering replacements. Do you understand that even the studio that
    >released the dvd realizes there is a problem, stupid? Maybe you should make
    >a trip to Universal Studios in Burbank and insist to any tour guide that
    >will listen that the dvd is perfectly fine because it plays great on *your*
    >player.

    Are you shooting for a final reading comprehension score of zero?
    Almost nothing you said has anything to do with the points raised in
    this thread. Where are you from, California?

    Steve Hanson, Sep 19, 2003
  18. Peter Williams

    TB Guest

    "Steve Hanson aka King Dumbass" continued to whine:

    > >Well, the bottom line is plenty of people are saying this disc doesn't

    play
    > >properly on a wide variety of players. Universal has acknowledged a

    problem
    > >and is offering replacements. Do you understand that even the studio that
    > >released the dvd realizes there is a problem, stupid? Maybe you should

    make
    > >a trip to Universal Studios in Burbank and insist to any tour guide that
    > >will listen that the dvd is perfectly fine because it plays great on

    *your*
    > >player.

    > Are you shooting for a final reading comprehension score of zero?
    > Almost nothing you said has anything to do with the points raised in
    > this thread. Where are you from, California?

    This coming from the clown who can't accept everyone (except you of course)
    including the studio that released the dvd acknowledge it's defective. So
    tell me, why is Universal offering to replace the disc, they need the
    coasters? You're too funny.

    Really, does the sand hurt your eyes when you keep your head buried in it
    for so long?

    T.B.

    TB, Sep 19, 2003
  19. Peter Williams

    Steve Hanson Guest

    TB wrote in <rHHab.6300$>:

    >"Steve Hanson aka King Dumbass" continued to whine:
    >
    >> >Well, the bottom line is plenty of people are saying this disc doesn't

    >play
    >> >properly on a wide variety of players. Universal has acknowledged a

    >problem
    >> >and is offering replacements. Do you understand that even the studio that
    >> >released the dvd realizes there is a problem, stupid? Maybe you should

    >make
    >> >a trip to Universal Studios in Burbank and insist to any tour guide that
    >> >will listen that the dvd is perfectly fine because it plays great on

    >*your*
    >> >player.

    >> Are you shooting for a final reading comprehension score of zero?
    >> Almost nothing you said has anything to do with the points raised in
    >> this thread. Where are you from, California?

    >This coming from the clown who can't accept everyone (except you of course)
    >including the studio that released the dvd acknowledge it's defective. So
    >tell me, why is Universal offering to replace the disc, they need the
    >coasters? You're too funny.

    Except Universal didn't acknowledge the disk was defective, only that
    certain players had problems with it (and that's still beside the
    point of everything I've written in this thread). There's that
    reading comprehension problem of yours. Zero isn't low enough?
    You're trying to get a negative score?

    Steve Hanson, Sep 19, 2003
  20. Peter Williams

    TB Guest

    "Steve Hanson" continued to whine:

    (snip)

    > >This coming from the clown who can't accept everyone (except you of

    course)
    > >including the studio that released the dvd acknowledge it's defective. So
    > >tell me, why is Universal offering to replace the disc, they need the
    > >coasters? You're too funny.

    > Except Universal didn't acknowledge the disk was defective, only that
    > certain players had problems with it (and that's still beside the
    > point of everything I've written in this thread). There's that
    > reading comprehension problem of yours. Zero isn't low enough?
    > You're trying to get a negative score?

    You keep banging that thick skull of yours against the keyboard, Stevey.
    It's fun to read these posts documenting your impending meltdown.

    T.B.

    TB, Sep 19, 2003