Universal & Paramount's HUGE Catalogs HD-DVD has 43% of titiles avaliable just from those studios.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Rock and Roll, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561

    Borrowed from Chris Frost in the comments section at engadget:

    http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...ward/#comments

    Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

    According to IMDB these exclusive companies have the US distribution rights
    to the following number of movies:

    http://www.imdb.com/

    HD-DVD

    Universal - 5331
    Paramount - 5753
    Dreamworks - 95
    Weinstein - 183

    Total 11362 films

    Beta Ray

    20th Century Fox - 755
    SOny Pictures - 419
    Disney Buena Vista - 727
    MGM - 3639
    Columbia/Tri Star - 4323
    Warner Brothers - 4623

    Total: 14783

    Grand Total of all movies from these companies: 26145
    11362/26145 = 43%

    Meaning HD DVD has 43% of all catalog titles available for potential release
    on it's format. It's completely laughable to hear that BDA has 80% of the
    major studios. Who cares when Fox/Sony/Buena Vista/Disney all acount for
    less than 2000 movies. That's not even half of Universal's back catalog.

    I double-checked a few of Chris' figures at IMDB. He is spot on! The
    Universal and Paramount catalogs are the biggest in the business! Wow!!

    Now, if only Universal and Paramount will grace us with some of those
    delicious catalog titles on HD DVD! My money is waiting!

    Add BBC and all other indepandant studios and 1 million players and counting
    HD-DVD is not going anywhere :)
    Rock and Roll, Jan 23, 2008

  2. Rock and Roll

    mark johnson Guest

    "Rock and Roll" <> wrote in message
    > http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561
    >
    > Borrowed from Chris Frost in the comments section at engadget:
    >
    > http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...ward/#comments
    >
    > Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

    Another fact that irritates HD-DVD fanboys:

    Blu-ray standalone players outsell HD DVD standalone players 93:7 week
    ending 1/12/08 (thats not including PS3's)

    http://exophase.com/ps3/blu-ray-hardware-sales-quickly-outpace-hd-dvd-3109.htm

    mark johnson, Jan 23, 2008

  3. Rock and Roll

    Michael C Guest

    "Rock and Roll" <> wrote in message
    > http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561
    >
    > Borrowed from Chris Frost in the comments section at engadget:
    >
    > http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...ward/#comments
    >
    > Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

    Does anyone really even care? Seriously?

    Console fanatics are bad enough but at least there is a significant
    difference between them all.

    If I get a PS3/360/Wii I can play PS3/360/Wii-exclusive games.

    If I get a Blu-Ray player I can watch overpriced but hi-def versions of
    films from a tiny library. If I get an HD-DVD player I can, erm, watch
    overpriced but hi-def versions of films from a tiny library.

    NO-ONE CARES BECAUSE WE CAN GET HI-DEF FILMS AND TV PROGRAMMES ON DEMAND
    FROM THE INTERNET AND CABLE COMPANIES YOU STUPID FUCKING DICKSPLATS.
    Michael C, Jan 23, 2008
  4. Rock and Roll

    Tarkus Guest

    Re: Universal & Paramount's HUGE Catalogs HD-DVD has 43% of titilesavaliable just from those studios.

    Rock and Roll wrote:
    > Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

    You lost. I'm guessing that irritates you much more than anything that
    irritates "Beta Ray fanboys".

    You should be a comedian, because I find you hilarious.
    Tarkus, Jan 23, 2008
  5. Rock and Roll

    khee mao Guest

    "The alMIGHTY N" <> wrote in message

    > What's more telling is the number of recent big blockbuster hits with
    > awesome visual and audio for each studio. Universal and Paramount
    > don't have nearly as many as Sony, Fox, etc.

    egg zacchary.

    then there's Disney/Pixar.
    khee mao, Jan 23, 2008
  6. Rock and Roll

    T.B. Guest

    "Rock and Roll" wrote:

    > http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561

    (whining snipped)

    Hi "Gravity." Or is it "High Def Ducks." I dunno, it's tough keeping up
    with all those really clever screen names you use.

    BTW, did you also champion DIVX in it's day? LOL!

    T.B.
    T.B., Jan 23, 2008
  7. Rock and Roll

    Iridium Guest

    Iridium, Jan 23, 2008
  8. Rock and Roll

    mark johnson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    On Jan 23, 1:25 pm, "mark johnson" <> wrote:
    > "Rock and Roll" <> wrote in
    > messagenews:feOlj.4008$lw.3162@pd7urf1no...
    >
    > >http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561

    > > Borrowed from Chris Frost in the comments section at engadget:

    > >http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...ward/#comments

    > > Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

    > Another fact that irritates HD-DVD fanboys:
    >
    > Blu-ray standalone players outsell HD DVD standalone players 93:7 week
    > ending 1/12/08 (thats not including PS3's)
    >
    > http://exophase.com/ps3/blu-ray-hardware-sales-quickly-outpace-hd-dvd...

    Those poor bastards.

    Just wait until they find out newly released movies won't play on
    their players when Blu-ray version 2.0 comes out.

    Get your facts right. It doesn't matter what firmware the player has, it
    will play the movie. All the differant firmwares do is add features, like
    picture in picture etc.
    mark johnson, Jan 24, 2008
  9. Rock and Roll

    Ian Guest

    "Michael C" <> wrote in message
    > "Rock and Roll" <> wrote in message
    >> http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=38561
    >>
    >> Borrowed from Chris Frost in the comments section at engadget:
    >>
    >> http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/22...ward/#comments
    >>
    >> Another fact that really irritates Beta Ray fanboys:

    > Does anyone really even care? Seriously?
    >
    > Console fanatics are bad enough but at least there is a significant
    > difference between them all.
    >
    > If I get a PS3/360/Wii I can play PS3/360/Wii-exclusive games.
    >
    > If I get a Blu-Ray player I can watch overpriced but hi-def versions of
    > films from a tiny library. If I get an HD-DVD player I can, erm, watch
    > overpriced but hi-def versions of films from a tiny library.

    I never understood the mentality of someone more concerned by the picture
    quality than the content.
    Ian, Jan 24, 2008
  10. Rock and Roll

    Brad Darnell Guest

    Sony and Fox, now there are two words together that I love to hate.
    Brad

    Brad Darnell, Jan 24, 2008
  11. Re: Universal & Paramount's HUGE Catalogs HD-DVD has 43% of titilesavaliable just from those studios.

    > Many catalog titles score high in video quality in reviews because the
    > reviewers are looking at how clean the transfer from the source is,
    > the existence of artifacts, haloing, etc. In most cases, however, this
    > only results in a clean print that still looks like a movie produced a
    > long time ago. In these cases, 99% of consumers will just buy the DVD
    > version if they haven't already.

    This is something I'm wondering about and I suppose I won't know until I
    see it for myself, but are movies from 30 years ago (for example,
    Superman: The Movie) really gonna look any better than they did on dvd?

    --
    NiGHTS/Nightcrawler [mWo]
    I feel asleep!

    "If Gods so fuckin' perfect why'd he **** up on you?"
    夜クローラー, Jan 24, 2008
  12. Rock and Roll

    Beta Ray Guest

    Beta Ray is still in Beta testing.

    Thanks
    Beta Ray, Jan 24, 2008
  13. Rock and Roll

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 00:02:13 +0000, mark johnson wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Those poor bastards.
    >> Just wait until they find out newly released movies won't play on their
    >> players when Blu-ray version 2.0 comes out.

    > Get your facts right. It doesn't matter what firmware the player has,
    > it will play the movie. All the differant firmwares do is add features,
    > like picture in picture etc.

    Since we're talking facts, how do you respond to this from the blu-ray
    developers.

    "In order to allay confusion, the BDA has adopted special labels that
    will be placed on Blu-ray movies. Those with a "Bonus View" sticker will
    require Profile 1.1 players, while those with "BD Live" will require
    Profile 2.0.

    In addition, the BD-J interactivity layer, based on Java, has continued
    to evolve since the introduction of Blu-ray Profile 1.0. This means that
    early players may have a buggy implementation and perhaps more
    importantly, they are not powerful enough to play the latest films
    properly."

    http://www.betanews.com/article/Bluray_Early_adopters_knew_what_they_were_getting_into/1199841379

    Wes Newell, Jan 24, 2008
  14. Rock and Roll

    sima Guest

    > Who the **** is a 'fanboy' of a format? That's just pathetic.

    unless he's bought a HD drive and he got to justify on usenet why he thinks
    its still alive before he slits his wrist
    sima, Jan 24, 2008
  15. Rock and Roll

    khee mao Guest

    "Beta Ray" <> wrote in message
    > Beta Ray is still in Beta testing.
    >
    > Thanks

    HD-DVD is in its coffin.

    Thanks
    khee mao, Jan 24, 2008
  16. Rock and Roll

    Chris F Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:51:33 GMT, "sima" <@.simawashere> wrote:

    >> Who the **** is a 'fanboy' of a format? That's just pathetic.

    >unless he's bought a HD drive and he got to justify on usenet why he thinks
    >its still alive before he slits his wrist

    meh, i've got one, got it for christmas. can't say i'm arsed even if
    it does "die" cos there's still plenty of good films available in the
    format that'll do me.

    i'm sure i'll end up with a PS3, or a bluray player at least, at some
    point as well.

    the whole "My HD video format is better than yours!" thing really is
    sad beyond belief.
    Chris F, Jan 24, 2008
  17. Rock and Roll

    sima Guest

    > meh, i've got one, got it for christmas. can't say i'm arsed even if
    > it does "die" cos there's still plenty of good films available in the
    > format that'll do me.

    if there's a HD-DVD writer comming out, you'll be to burn bluerays onto
    HD-dvd.anyway ;o)

    > i'm sure i'll end up with a PS3, or a bluray player at least, at some
    > point as well.

    I got the ps3 for MGS(and is still waiting) not for blueray, watch me dvds
    upscaled.

    > the whole "My HD video format is better than yours!" thing really is
    > sad beyond belief.

    I know just watch the movie ENDOF whatnext my isp is better than yours, end
    of the day you go with what your happy with
    sima, Jan 24, 2008
  18. Rock and Roll

    Chris F Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:41:59 GMT, "sima" <@.simawashere> wrote:

    >> meh, i've got one, got it for christmas. can't say i'm arsed even if
    >> it does "die" cos there's still plenty of good films available in the
    >> format that'll do me.

    >if there's a HD-DVD writer comming out, you'll be to burn bluerays onto
    >HD-dvd.anyway ;o)

    heh true, however, i've only seen bluray writer drives so far.

    next time i upgrade my pc, i might get a combi drive, and a gfx card
    with hdmi output, build up a proper little media centre.

    >> i'm sure i'll end up with a PS3, or a bluray player at least, at some
    >> point as well.
    >>

    >I got the ps3 for MGS(and is still waiting) not for blueray, watch me dvds
    >upscaled.

    well that's why i don't have a PS3 yet, there's not a single one of
    the exclusive games that cries out to me, and makes me want to buy
    one.

    i got bored of the MGS series a long while ago, and same with the Gran
    Turismo games. The PS3's problem is that the majority of it's good
    games are multiformat.

    >> the whole "My HD video format is better than yours!" thing really is
    >> sad beyond belief.

    >I know just watch the movie ENDOF whatnext my isp is better than yours, end
    >of the day you go with what your happy with

    exactly.

    plenty of people will still be sticking with just DVD, even if they do
    have an hdtv, because to the vast majority of people, theyre not that
    bothered.

    plus, upscaling dvd players are becoming more commonplace as well.
    Chris F, Jan 24, 2008
  19. Rock and Roll

    sima Guest

    > next time i upgrade my pc, i might get a combi drive, and a gfx card
    > with hdmi output, build up a proper little media centre.

    thats what I'm after a gfx card with hdmi, people should just skip the
    player and just downlaod the HD stuff

    >>I got the ps3 for MGS(and is still waiting) not for blueray, watch me dvds
    >>upscaled.
    >>

    > well that's why i don't have a PS3 yet, there's not a single one of
    > the exclusive games that cries out to me, and makes me want to buy
    > one.

    I've had it 3/4 month and other than those I bought when i got ps3 I've
    bought 1 game (jak & daxter) use it more as a dvd/movie player

    > plenty of people will still be sticking with just DVD, even if they do
    > have an hdtv, because to the vast majority of people, theyre not that
    > bothered.

    like I've said before you get the same film and the same ending and you
    don't remember the film in HD just what it was about and upscaled dvd's
    will suit most if not the normal dvd's and people ain't got allot of dosh to
    waste on this HD stuff when every other bill is going up.
    sima, Jan 24, 2008
  20. Rock and Roll

    Chris F wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:51:33 GMT, "sima" <@.simawashere> wrote:
    >
    >>> Who the **** is a 'fanboy' of a format? That's just pathetic.

    >> unless he's bought a HD drive and he got to justify on usenet why he thinks
    >> its still alive before he slits his wrist
    >>

    > meh, i've got one, got it for christmas. can't say i'm arsed even if
    > it does "die" cos there's still plenty of good films available in the
    > format that'll do me.
    >
    > i'm sure i'll end up with a PS3, or a bluray player at least, at some
    > point as well.
    >
    > the whole "My HD video format is better than yours!" thing really is
    > sad beyond belief.

    True, but you have to admit, Atari is better than Commodore. ;)
    Tarkus, Jan 24, 2008