Universal Monsters return, with House of Dracula

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by karlpov, Jan 17, 2004.

  1. karlpov

    karlpov Guest

    TheDigitalBits announces that we will be seeing the classic Universal
    monsters again in, I think, April. Three two-DVD sets: Frankenstein
    Legacy, Dracula Legacy, Wolf Man Legacy. There will be four or five
    films per set, which makes it seem unlikely that there will be a lot
    of extras: this may be just what we've seen before. But there is one
    new item: House of Dracula will be making its first DVD appearance.

    Frankenstein Legacy: Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of
    Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein, House of Frankenstein

    Dracula Legacy: Dracula, Dracula (Spanish), Dracula's Daughter, Son of
    Dracula, House of Dracula

    Wolf Man Legacy: The Wolf Man, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man,
    Werewolf of London, She-Wolf of London

    Those two "London" titles don't really belong to the big cycle, but
    they are, well, thematically related. Too bad they aren't including
    Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein.

    I would speculate that a Mummy set might be in the works, but I'm a
    lot more concerned about the great Universals, including
    Karloff-Lugosi films (particularly The Black Cat), which have yet to
    see DVD. I hope Universal doesn't screw up this time.
    karlpov, Jan 17, 2004

  2. karlpov

    jayembee Guest

    karlpov <> wrote:

    > Frankenstein Legacy: Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein,
    > Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein, House of
    > Frankenstein
    >
    > Dracula Legacy: Dracula, Dracula (Spanish), Dracula's
    > Daughter, Son of Dracula, House of Dracula
    >
    > Wolf Man Legacy: The Wolf Man, Frankenstein Meets the
    > Wolf Man, Werewolf of London, She-Wolf of London
    >
    > Those two "London" titles don't really belong to the big
    > cycle, but they are, well, thematically related. Too bad
    > they aren't including Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein.

    It is to be hoped that they'll release an "A&C Meet the
    Monsters" set similar to the one they released on laser,
    with ...MEET FRANKENSTEIN, ...MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN,
    ....MEET THE MUMMY, and ...MEET THE KILLER, BORIS KARLOFF.

    What would be really nice is a mega-set including all of
    the "monster crossover" films: the Dracula, Frankenstein,
    Wolf Man, and Invisible Man films.

    > I would speculate that a Mummy set might be in the works,

    I'd also like to see an "Invisible Collection" with THE
    INVISIBLE MAN, RETURN OF THE INVISIBLE MAN, INVISIBLE AGENT,
    and THE INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE. (More "thematically related",
    a la the werewolves of London films along with the Wolf Man
    films.)

    And a set with CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON with its two
    sequels.

    > but I'm a lot more concerned about the great Universals,
    > including Karloff-Lugosi films (particularly The Black
    > Cat), which have yet to see DVD.

    Or even some of the things they picked up from Paramount,
    like ISLAND OF LOST SOULS.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jan 17, 2004

  3. karlpov

    karlpov Guest

    On 17 Jan 2004 06:07:17 -0800, (jayembee)
    wrote:

    >What would be really nice is a mega-set including all of
    >the "monster crossover" films: the Dracula, Frankenstein,
    >Wolf Man, and Invisible Man films.

    I should have mentioned that there will indeed be a mega such as you
    mention, sans the Invisible Man. It will include "collectible" Drac,
    Frankie and Wolfman toys.

    BTW, do you know whether anyone in particular has rights to RKO
    movies? I'm interested particularly in Cat People and its sequel Curse
    of the Cat People, but there are certainly a lot more circa-40s RKO
    flicks I want.
    karlpov, Jan 17, 2004
  4. karlpov

    wrote:

    >I'd also like to see an "Invisible Collection" with THE
    >INVISIBLE MAN, RETURN OF THE INVISIBLE MAN, INVISIBLE AGENT,
    >and THE INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE. (More "thematically related",
    >a la the werewolves of London films along with the Wolf Man
    >films.)

    You forgot Invisible Woman. Too bad Invisible Boy doesn't belong to
    Universal so it could join the set.
    karlpov, Jan 17, 2004
  5. karlpov

    JimReid56 Guest

    >BTW, do you know whether anyone in particular has rights to RKO
    >movies? I'm interested particularly in Cat People and its sequel Curse
    >of the Cat People, but there are certainly a lot more circa-40s RKO
    >flicks I want.

    The RKO library was owned by Turner and is now owned by Time-Warner.
    JimReid56, Jan 17, 2004
  6. Yup, the upcoming King Kong SE will be from Warner.

    Michael Rogers, Jan 17, 2004
  7. JimReid56 wrote:

    >>BTW, do you know whether anyone in particular has rights to RKO
    >>movies? I'm interested particularly in Cat People and its sequel Curse
    >>of the Cat People, but there are certainly a lot more circa-40s RKO
    >>flicks I want.

    > The RKO library was owned by Turner and is now owned by Time-Warner.

    Wasn't there buzz about CotCP (and yes, we know how "sequel" was defined
    for Curse, but it's a pretty darn good movie anyway) in the
    production-ether a while back?

    Derek Janssen (wishful thinking)
    Derek Janssen, Jan 18, 2004
  8. karlpov wrote:

    >>What would be really nice is a mega-set including all of
    >>the "monster crossover" films: the Dracula, Frankenstein,
    >>Wolf Man, and Invisible Man films.

    > I should have mentioned that there will indeed be a mega such as you
    > mention, sans the Invisible Man. It will include "collectible" Drac,
    > Frankie and Wolfman toys.

    And Universal's press also mentions that the classic-horror re-releases
    (UHV style) were meant to be March/April timely-released in connection
    with Stephen ("Mummy") Sommers' "Van Helsing" movie, coming *too* soon
    to a theater *too* near you--
    But I think I speak for most movie and DVD fans when I say...WHO
    FRIGGIN' CARES?? Just re-release 'em! :)

    Derek Janssen (*we* know which one we'll still be watching six months
    later!)
    Derek Janssen, Jan 18, 2004