Universal Finally Releases all their Hammer Films on dvd

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by TB, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. TB

    TB Guest

    Check out the article at DVD Drivein:

    http://www.dvddrive-in.com/

    Among this lot are some of the best horror movies to come from Hammer
    Studios at their peak in the early 60's including "Brides of Dracula,"
    "Curse of the Werewolf" and "Kiss of the Vampire."

    This is great news but I am a little disturbed that it appears they'll cram
    4 films (8 movies on 2 dvds?!?) on what will probably be 1 dual side single
    layer dvd or on a single side dual layer dvd. Even though the films will no
    doubt have a single mono or stereo soundtrack, the bitrate will still be
    fairly poor and the quality may not be great.

    I'd be very surprised if they go with dual sided, dual layer discs.

    T.B.
     
    TB, Jun 10, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. TB

    Jordan Guest

    Somehow I don't think you'll want a high quality release for these
    flicks. Remember on the original Star Trek discs how you could see that
    the "monitors" on the bridge were just back-lit plastic stickers,
    complete with air bubbles?

    A high quality release could only hurt the Hammer flicks.

    - Jordan
     
    Jordan, Jun 10, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. TB

    TB Guest

    "Jordan" wrote:

    > Somehow I don't think you'll want a high quality release for these
    > flicks. Remember on the original Star Trek discs how you could see that
    > the "monitors" on the bridge were just back-lit plastic stickers,
    > complete with air bubbles?
    >
    > A high quality release could only hurt the Hammer flicks.


    No offense, but that's an incredibly ignorant statement.

    I'll assume you mean because most Hammer films were very low budget affairs
    and you're thinking perhaps a truly nice transfer would "reveal" many small
    details that would "ruin the illusion" decades of crummy vhs and bootleg
    transfers have hidden.

    First off, the 90's laserdiscs sported extremely nice transfers that didn't
    enhance the low budget productions. And obviously, greater detail never hurt
    the viewing experience for people who originally saw any of the better
    Hammer films in theaters on the big screen (as apposed to always being
    limited to seeing the Star Trek tv series on well,, tvs).

    See, the beauty of the best Hammer films, which include several noted on
    this upcoming collection, featured superb direction, lighting, set design
    and of course, casts that never betrayed their low budgets.

    I really want the best possible transfer for a movie like "Brides of
    Dracula." The range of deep, sumptuous color alone on that movie is simply
    gorgeous.

    T.B.
     
    TB, Jun 10, 2005
    #3
  4. TB

    TB Guest

    "TB" screwed up and said:

    (snip)
    >
    > First off, the 90's laserdiscs sported extremely nice transfers that
    > didn't enhance the low budget productions.


    That didn't really make much sense.

    What I should have said was:

    "First off, the 90's laserdiscs sported extremely nice transfers that didn't
    betray the low budget production."

    T.B.
     
    TB, Jun 10, 2005
    #4
  5. Jordan wrote:

    > Somehow I don't think you'll want a high quality release for these
    > flicks. Remember on the original Star Trek discs how you could see that
    > the "monitors" on the bridge were just back-lit plastic stickers,
    > complete with air bubbles?
    >
    > A high quality release could only hurt the Hammer flicks.


    I dunno, it'd be nice to see them in *real* shades of color, for a change.

    Derek Janssen
     
    Derek Janssen, Jun 11, 2005
    #5
  6. TB

    jayembee Guest

    "TB" <> wrote:

    > This is great news but I am a little disturbed that it appears they'll cram
    > 4 films (8 movies on 2 dvds?!?) on what will probably be 1 dual side single
    > layer dvd or on a single side dual layer dvd. Even though the films will no
    > doubt have a single mono or stereo soundtrack, the bitrate will still be
    > fairly poor and the quality may not be great.
    >
    > I'd be very surprised if they go with dual sided, dual layer discs.


    Why would you be surprised? Universal has been using DVD-18s a lot lately,
    probably more than any other studio nowadays.
    ..
    Most of their TV season sets are now on 18s, and their Franchise Collection
    sets (like the Abbott & Costello collections) are on 18s, too.

    -- jayembee
     
    jayembee, Jun 13, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Scot Gardner
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    618
    Raul Bloodworth
    Jul 19, 2003
  2. Doug MacLean
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    528
    jayembee
    Jan 22, 2004
  3. Film Buff

    Hammer Films from Universal and M-G-M

    Film Buff, May 7, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    538
    ML-78
    May 8, 2004
  4. TB
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    555
  5. Gravity
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    518
    Tarkus
    Jan 24, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page