    [​IMG]
    Quote: “Not long ago, did a small article/review on a new innovation, an Oled Keyboard, I am sure everyone knows what I am talking about, it was posted as news everywhere. The only problem with the Oled keyboard is that, after some research, the idea is not that technologically feasible at this time. The other problem with the Oled keyboard is that it is 'paperware' it does not actually exist, the pictures look very pretty and caused quite a bit of a fuss in the media, but that's all they are: Pictures. A little while after I wrote that article I received an email from Ronald Brown the CEO of United Keys Inc., pertaining to their invention, which is essentially a Qwerty keyboard with embedded Lcd displays in the function keys. This invention, however, is not 'paperware' it does actually exist and will be available for purchase shortly. Today, is the official release of the keyboard at Demofall in California, I was invited to attend, but due to other responsibilities I could not attend, but I do have the press release and lots of information for you. Also, be sure to check back for my in depth review of the keyboard within the next couple of weeks.”
    Review URL: http://www.thinkcomputers.org/beta/home.php?x=articles&id=15

    Silverstrand, Sep 19, 2005

  2. Silverstrand

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Yeh these types of keyboards are mad crazy, wouldn't mind one :)

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 19, 2005

  3. Silverstrand

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Optimus Keyboard was a sweet lookin one :) I'd give a link, but "but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears that your computer or network has been infected." :( So much for "cracks don't have viruses" Unholy :p Just google Optimus Keyboard and you'll find it.

    XhArD, Sep 19, 2005
  4. Silverstrand

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I've got a preview of the Optimus on my site http://www.infinity-customs.com It looks like it's a lot more detailed than this one. They're now talking about a 2006 release instead of a July '05 release (obviously). If they can't send me one to review I'll still most likely get one. Right now my next board has got to be Das Keyboard. I'm using a ZBoard now, which is great for gaming but not so good for typing.

    The Modfather, Sep 19, 2005
  5. Silverstrand

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    I want one, but it'll be damn expensive on release :( Would be a handy tool to have, but it'll be a couple hundred bucks on release I reckon :( By the way, Google works for me again :)

    XhArD, Sep 20, 2005
  6. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    I never said they didn't, but if u know wtf u are doing and u have virus protection, ur fine... but for all those ppl that dont know what there doing... such as ppl like dean :p

    unholy, Sep 20, 2005
  7. Silverstrand

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yeah the projected price for it's release is around $200 USD. But that's no more expensive than the Logitech DiNovo keyboard/mouse/bluetooth suite.

    The Modfather, Sep 20, 2005
  8. Silverstrand

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    yeah. but why spend $200USD on a keyboard? You could get a fairly decent wireless keyboard and mouse for $60AU.

    XhArD, Sep 20, 2005
  9. Silverstrand

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Heh, you just don't get it. If you don't understand then it's probably not for you but a lot of people understand and for them, it's worth it. If you're a complete gadget addict or a modding freak you'd get it. $200 is not expensive for a board of this nature. OLED technology is rather new stuff and using it like this is innovative and has a lot of potential to go real far. I'm not referring to the above reviewed board here, but to the Optimus, which seems to be the vastly more ambitious piece of equipment. Think about it though, how many input devices does the average gamer own, what about an artist/gamer/web designer/video editor, etc... If you do a lot of different tasks with your computer the value of such a board grows more and more. Over 100 little OLED displays on that puppy, that's really insane. Change every key to display whatever you want? Who couldn't think of a million ways to make use of that?
    Consider that the Logitech DiNovo keyboard/mouse package when it came out was closer to $300 (And I bought one too) and the value here is obvious. The DiNovo is nice, but it doesn't really perform well as a keyboard IMHO. It's TOO low profile and the keys are too soft. It looks amazing though so you can't knock that aspect of it. This Optimus looks to make the DiNovo look like a chumpboard. I can't wait.

    The Modfather, Sep 21, 2005
  10. Silverstrand

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    I know what you mean about why you'd get it, being a tech nut, but it's not a practical investment. It'd be fun to have, but in reality a $200 keyboard won't get you that extra $150 of performance. I wasn't saying no one would buy one, just that to buy one you'd either have to have a couple hundred bucks lying around, or not know your priorities.

    XhArD, Sep 21, 2005
  11. Silverstrand

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    OR have a use for it. Which is why they're building and marketing these things.

    The Modfather, Sep 21, 2005
  12. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    thats a stupid question, because the answer is if u are a dean...

    unholy, Sep 21, 2005
  13. Silverstrand

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    A dean?
    Someone, quick, get me an Australian to English dictionary!!!

    The Modfather, Sep 21, 2005
  14. Silverstrand

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Ya, i'm confused as well.

    Silverstrand, Sep 21, 2005
  15. Silverstrand

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    That's because yer from Wisconsin, an American like me, we don't speak that language. :)
    All's I know of Australian slang is this.
    Sheila = Used to mean a girl.
    Walk About = A long stroll
    Vegimite = Yucky Australian peanut butter wannabe.
    Knife = Must be at least 15" long.
    Mate = Friend (Not a verb, careful there)
    Yer = Not 100% sure, think it means yes.
    Bloke = Also British, see Mate.
    Knocked Up = Tired (Not the same as American)
    Oy/Oi = Yo!
    Strewth/Struth/whatever = Sh*t!
    Crock = Common outdoor pet.
    Crikey = Holy Sh*t!
    Winter = Summer
    Summer = Winter
    Fall = ??? Spring ???
    Spring = ??? Fall ???
    Nzer = New Zealand resident
    Banana bender : a person from Queensland
    Beaut, beauty : great, fantastic
    Bloke : man, guy
    Bodgy : of inferior quality
    G'Day : hello!
    Gobsmacked : surprised, astounded
    Good onya : good for you, well done
    Probably a couple more but these guys are using ones I ain't never heard.

    The Modfather, Sep 22, 2005
  16. Silverstrand

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    youre a twit. shows what you know.
    Vegemite = bitter. hows it supposed to be a peanut butter wannabe?
    Knife = UNDER 15" long
    Yer = Stupid net slang, not aussie
    Crock = fake/rip off. Common outdoor pet? If you believe that, then you are an IDIOT, No matter what you say. And besides, Croc as in Crocodile doesn't have a K.
    Crikey = Steve Irwin is a fag. No one else says it.
    winter = winter
    summer = summer
    fall = autumn
    spring = spring
    banana bender = made up by stupid americans as a reference to QLD residents.
    godbsmacked = not even Australian.
    So now you should at least know one thing: you know absolutely nothing about Australia. You say summer = winter because itswinter here when its summer there? Whatmakes your contry right and ours wrong?

    XhArD, Sep 22, 2005
  17. Silverstrand

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Mmm hmmm i totally agree their, i seriously dont know how he could become so big... i bet u the americans thought he was a comedian :p
    Whats with that hey,
    u got it wrong
    Snow time = winter !!! :D
    Sheila means a hot chick.. not a girl...
    Oi means "hey you!"
    i am on your side there :D Not a verb

    unholy, Sep 23, 2005
  18. Silverstrand

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Aww, did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed today, or is it wrong side of the planet? And did somebody steal all your apostrophies too?
    It's a "spread". That's how, you spread it on bread like peanut butter.
    Joke reference lost on the slow witted one here it appears. "That's not a knife, THIS is a knife", line from Crocodile Dundee, the movie most people quote when talking about Australia. Twas a joke, hell the whole post was a joke but, you obviously missed that.
    I don't know anyone from anywhere else in the world that uses it except Australians. And I know a lot of people from a lot of countries. So maybe it's "stupid net slang" that's specific to Australia? <Shrug>
    And you're, as in YOU ARE, DOES have an apostrophy. But since you decided to point this out, I'll be sure to correct ALL your errors from now on. The statement, again, was a FRIGGIN JOKE you butt pirate!
    Hmm.. Could we possibly get a ban on the word "fag"? I find it offensive. Obviously other people say it, I've heard it, it's in the Australian to American dictionary online, so, there it is. Deal with it... Mate.
    Well, that's what I've been trying to tell you, but you seem to disagree. Winter does in fact = winter, etc... And it runs from December to April, no matter where you live.
    Same thing.
    Actually, no... I got that from the Australian to American dictionary, which resides on a site in Australia, is owned and operated by Australians and was compiled by Australians and I've never heard the term before in my life and I doubt that 99.99999% of Americans have either. I don't even understand the reference.
    See above, same reference.
    Simple, my country is in the northern hemisphere, where 100% of all English speaking human beings lived when the language was developed over time and the words "Summer" and "Winter" were first applied. In the meantime, the aboriginals who lived where you do now didn't even call the seasons "Summer" or "winter" but had their own words for them. If you want to use those words, that's cool. But the fact is, like so many of you folks there, you're a transplanted European and speak the language that originated there. 3/4's of my ancestors are transplanted Europeans as well (The other being Native American) but since I speak English, I say Summer and Winter. I attribute those words to a time period, not a temperature. Do you think the people who live in, say, Central America or even Southern California or Florida call the whole year Summer because it's always warm? No, they call Summer Summer and Winter Winter according to the calendar, not the temperature outside. Switching the words around is an effite affectation and it's silly.
    Today is September 23rd, here in the US, there in Australia, in Europe, Asia, Africa, Antarctica, South America, the middle of the ocean, it's the same date. It's also Summer in all of those places as well, no matter what the weather is doing. Just because you're on the flip side of the planet shouldn't mean you make everything upside down. Do you type on upside down keyboards? Watch upside down televisions? Read upside down? Of course not. So it's summer... It's cold... Deal with it fluffy! :p
    And stop taking all my jokes as serious crap, yer gonna make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry... I grow horns, my eyes glow red and I breath fire... And I have a terrible appitite for Australian cuisine. MOHAHAHHAHA!

    The Modfather, Sep 23, 2005
  19. Silverstrand

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    What if you're actually on the flip side? And we are on the other side? Just because a map is shown one way, doesn't mean it is that way. Up and down may exist in an environment like this, because of gravity. But how do you know that the Earth is "upright" like it is in maps? We don't fall off the face of the Earth "down" here, and you don't fall off the face of the Earth "up" there. So what if it's actually the other way around?
    Let me rephrase some of my definitions:
    Winter = Period of weather with temperature drops in the area.
    Summer = Period of weather with temperature peaks in the area.
    Spring = Period of weather with mild/moderate weather peaks/drops.
    Autumn/Fall = Period of weather with temperature drops leading to Winter.
    Also, believe it or not, the sunrise/sunset times differ throughout the year. Generally, the sun rises early and sets early in Winter. Australian winter, that is. In Summer, the sun risesand sets later in the morning/evening.

    XhArD, Sep 23, 2005
  20. Silverstrand

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Believe it or not, I do understand geography. But here's the thing. These terms are in the English Language and they apply a certain way. English speaking people did not exist in Australia until recently (on the large scale of time) and the terms existed long before anyone ever went to that part of the world who spoke English.
    It's really simple. The "North" pole is at the top, the "South" pole is at the bottom, roughly speaking. (since the earth rotates on its axis). Any map of the world will show the NORTH pole at the top and so do all the globes. There are no globes or maps that show the South pole at the top. Ever wonder why? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that when all these things were first created, the people who lived in the southern hemisphere weren't very far removed from cave men and didn't know much about cartography, geography, the wheel, etc, you know, advanced stuff.
    The terms "Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall" existed before civilized men ever visited those locations. Hence they already had meanings long before then. It's got nothing to do with anyone's ego, it's simple a matter of "that's the way it works, period, end of story".
    Now, if you guys want to call Summer Winter because it's cold, that's all well and good, for you. But it doesn't work when you're talking to the rest of the world, because everyone else (the overwhelming majority of humanity) doesn't work that way. Now, should we all change the way we do things because some people who moved to Australia want to change things? I don't think so. Now THAT'S some serious ego tripping if you ask me. I mean, it's fine for you, if you wanna call it that but, it doesn't work when you're dealing with the rest of the world where Summer is Summer, period and is defined by the time of the year and not the weather.

    The Modfather, Sep 24, 2005