    for another?
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks, John

    John McCallie, Oct 28, 2006

  2. John McCallie

    Mike Easter Guest

    John McCallie wrote:
    > A couple months ago I got an old P3 for a 2nd machine, hooked it up
    > when the guy brought it over, booted to XP OK, looked alright to me.
    > Then I get busy for a while, don't do anything with it until today,
    > turn it on and it doesn't even light up the monitor.

    You're going to have to put a monitor on it that works so that you can
    see the bios post.

    If putting a good monitor on it doesn't let you see the display, the
    hardware troubleshooting is going to be problematic.

    > Any suggestions appreciated.

    If the hdd light isn't lighting up that is separate from the monitor not
    showing you anything during the POST

    You have some significant hw problems if something hasn't just gotten
    disconnected or jiggled loose in the transport.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 28, 2006

  3. John McCallie

    Shel-hed Guest

    This has happened to most of my systems at one point or another.
    Re-seat the cards. Start with the Video.

    Shel-hed, Oct 29, 2006
  4. John McCallie wrote:

    > at all. The lights on the 2 cd drives & the one on the floppy are all on
    > and what I think is just the "power on" indicator light is burning steady.
    > Also, I can hear the fan. But nothing else is happening ...... the cd
    > drives don't open, they don't even twitch.

    If the cd drives do not open at all when you press the eject button, some
    voltage is missing or the ide bus is locking the drives.
    I vote for the former.

    Walter Mautner, Oct 29, 2006