    “The key benefit of open technologies such as open source software is
    freedom of choice."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 19, 2006

  2. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/3625/53/
    >
    > "The key benefit of open technologies such as open source software is
    > freedom of choice."
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
    > forever.
    > 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    > 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.

    From the same company who launched the campaign to escape from Unix a few
    years ago:
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/tech/2002-04-02-microsoft-server.htmz

    Large organisation will join whatever trend makes money for them. They don't
    have to believe it.

    Dyring the early 90s Unisys was a large provider of Unix (series U) and saw
    the market declining. They then decided to invest hard on their mainframes
    with dual OS (MCP and Windows Server Datacentre). Then they launched this
    campaign against Unix. Now they join the open source software, but just
    because it's good for their market.

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Mar 19, 2006

  3. "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/3625/53/
    >>
    >> "The key benefit of open technologies such as open source software is
    >> freedom of choice."
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>
    >> --
    >> 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
    >> forever.
    >> 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    >> 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
    >>

    > From the same company who launched the campaign to escape from Unix a few
    > years ago:
    > http://www.usatoday.com/money/tech/2002-04-02-microsoft-server.htmz
    >
    > Large organisation will join whatever trend makes money for them. They
    > don't have to believe it.
    >
    > Dyring the early 90s Unisys was a large provider of Unix (series U) and
    > saw the market declining. They then decided to invest hard on their
    > mainframes with dual OS (MCP and Windows Server Datacentre). Then they
    > launched this campaign against Unix. Now they join the open source
    > software, but just because it's good for their market.

    Ooops, please make the URL:

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Mar 19, 2006
  4. On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:34:08 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > Large organisation will join whatever trend makes money for them. They
    > don't have to believe it.

    Yup.

    Unisys does not exist to write software - it exists to make money.

    IBM is the same.

    So is Micro$oft.

    I do think, however, that IBM these days is better at planning ahead.

    After all, "Who Says Elephants Can't Dance".

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    One Unix to rule them all,
    One Resolver to find them,

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 19, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thing2 Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:34:08 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >

    >>Large organisation will join whatever trend makes money for them. They
    >>don't have to believe it.

    > Yup.
    >
    > Unisys does not exist to write software - it exists to make money.
    >
    > IBM is the same.
    >
    > So is Micro$oft.
    >
    > I do think, however, that IBM these days is better at planning ahead.
    >
    > After all, "Who Says Elephants Can't Dance".
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    It was not that long ag?o that Unisys came out with a hi-availablity MS
    based datacentre quality box? that would not be installed with
    Linux?.....sales were not good apparantly....Guess Unisys found no one
    wanted such a beast....

    Then didnt they and MS collaborate on a run away from Unix as fast as
    possible migration ploy? guess that flopped as well.....

    So now they are "onto" Linux....as the next best idea to make them some
    dosh.....

    yeah right as the tui add goes.....

    regards

    thing

    thing2, Mar 20, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <441d096c$>, lid
    says...
    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > > http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/3625/53/
    > >
    > > "The key benefit of open technologies such as open source software is
    > > freedom of choice."
    > >

    > > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    > >
    > > --
    > > 1/ Migration to Linux only costs money once. Higher Windows TCO is
    > > forever.
    > > 2/ "Shared source" is a poison pill. Open Source is freedom.
    > > 3/ Only the Windows boxes get the worms.
    > >

    > From the same company who launched the campaign to escape from Unix a few
    > years ago:
    > http://www.usatoday.com/money/tech/2002-04-02-microsoft-server.htmz
    >
    > Large organisation will join whatever trend makes money for them. They don't
    > have to believe it.

    IBM
    IBM
    IBM
    IBM
    IBM
    IBM
    IBM
    IBM
    IBM
    IBM
    IBM
    IBM

    Course you can't mention them after all they are doing "so much good" to
    the FOSSes at present

    RJ, Mar 23, 2006
  7. On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:14:45 +1200, RJ wrote:

    >> Large organisation will join whatever trend makes money for them. They don't
    >> have to believe it.

    > IBM

    <snip - repetition>

    > Course you can't mention them after all they are doing "so much good" to
    > the FOSSes at present

    Bullshit!

    IBM is a large corporation that is intent on staying profitable. That is
    not disputed. So it is interesting, therefore, that IBM sees the way to
    remaining profitable as being through spending money on developing and
    supporting Open Source software.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "The only difference between Vista and prior releases (back to at least
    NT4/Windows 2000) is the size of the **** up. It's been business as usual

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 24, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:14:45 +1200, RJ wrote:
    >
    > >> Large organisation will join whatever trend makes money for them. They don't
    > >> have to believe it.

    > > IBM

    > <snip - repetition>
    > >
    > > Course you can't mention them after all they are doing "so much good" to
    > > the FOSSes at present

    > Bullshit!
    >
    > IBM is a large corporation that is intent on staying profitable. That is
    > not disputed. So it is interesting, therefore, that IBM sees the way to
    > remaining profitable as being through spending money on developing and
    > supporting Open Source software.

    No

    IBMs primary goal is to become dominant in the computer marketplace like
    they always have
    They tried many times with different architectures as did lots of people
    e.g.
    OS/2
    Novell Dos
    etc

    Linux is the latest attempt to break Microsoft market dominance
    The fact its open source is irrelevant
    What matters is thereis already a wide base of support for linux in the
    general community and its easier for IBM to make a distro of linux then
    develop their own complete OS from scratch
    Much as apple's effort to develop a wholenew OS (Copland) were dumped
    for the FreeBDs derivative they now have

    meanwhile as others noted Ibm is leveraging on the Foss community giving
    away large amounts of code for nothing meaning they get a lot of
    development work done at no cost to themselves

    RJ, Mar 24, 2006