    is.........

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 5, 2006

  2. thingy

    thingy Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 20:22:40 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >

    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >> Seems the unix people are being outsourced to Bangadore...so if you get
    >>an offer to go work there make sure it really is a permanent job and not
    >>a few months work then find yourself getting made redundant....glad I
    >>did some checking....Wellington is a small town....not sure just how
    >>honest/legal offering a "perm" job knowing that it is being outsourced
    >>is.........

    > Unisys used to be a reputable company. Why should it outsource to an
    > overseas company when there are good outsourcing providers located here in
    > NZ.
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    Unisys is an outsourcer....I suppose because its US parent has been
    loosing heaps of $....EDS was the same....So not only are the company
    profits exported abroad to the US so not benefiting NZ, so are the
    workers jobs exported abroad, so not benefiting NZ....

    Triple whammy...no profits spent in NZ, no jobs in NZ (hello WINZ please
    support my family), no tax on those no longer NZ jobs.......

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 5, 2006

  3. thingy

    MaHogany Guest

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Aug 5, 2006
  4. thingy

    Chris Lim Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > Unisys used to be a reputable company. Why should it outsource to an
    > overseas company when there are good outsourcing providers located here in
    > NZ.

    Cost?
    Chris Lim, Aug 5, 2006
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > MaHogany wrote:
    >
    >>Unisys used to be a reputable company. Why should it outsource to an
    >>overseas company when there are good outsourcing providers located here in
    >>NZ.

    > Cost?

    Yep, it is interesting that such big outsourcers are supposed to be more
    efficient because of scale...in reality they seem to be loosing money
    hand over fist.....so have to cut costs drastically in order to make
    ends meet, then of course the customer see's their service go west so
    leaves.....

    So instead of saying "this contract is making us money dont touch", or
    even "spend a little more if we can grow its income even more", "we will
    slash it to make a huge profit"....if the customer complains well tough....

    Kinda nuts....

    A very good reason why I will never work for an out sourcer again, no
    quality, no integrity, and no care of the customer....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 5, 2006
  6. thingy

    Jo Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message

    > Unisys is an outsourcer....I suppose because its US parent has been
    > loosing heaps of $....EDS was the same....So not only are the company
    > profits exported abroad to the US so not benefiting NZ, so are the workers
    > jobs exported abroad, so not benefiting NZ....
    >
    > Triple whammy...no profits spent in NZ, no jobs in NZ (hello WINZ please
    > support my family), no tax on those no longer NZ jobs.......
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Since when does EDS outsource NZ contracts as a norm? Its a service provider
    company, same with unysis. The type of contracts these two companies cover
    are highly sensitive - politically, security and commercially.
    Jo, Aug 5, 2006
  7. thingy

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:57:24 +1200, Jo wrote:

    > The type of contracts these two companies cover
    > are highly sensitive - politically, security and commercially.

    Since when was "security" an adverb?

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Aug 6, 2006
  8. thingy

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 04:31:53 -0700, Chris Lim wrote:

    >> Unisys used to be a reputable company. Why should it outsource to an
    >> overseas company when there are good outsourcing providers located here in
    >> NZ.

    > Cost?

    If it cannot sustain the cost of doing business in this country then it
    should consider taking its business elseware - and leaving within our
    country the jobs that our people would otherwise do - instead of sending
    those jobs overseas to some low-wage country that we'd have absolutely no
    chance of competing with in order to get the work back.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Aug 6, 2006
  9. thingy

    Chris Lim Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > If it cannot sustain the cost of doing business in this country then it
    > should consider taking its business elseware - and leaving within our
    > country the jobs that our people would otherwise do - instead of sending
    > those jobs overseas to some low-wage country that we'd have absolutely no
    > chance of competing with in order to get the work back.

    I suppose if companies were worried about what was best for the country
    rather than profit then yeah. But most companies will do what they can
    to cut costs and increase profit, and unfortunately outsourcing work to
    low-wage countries is a popular choice.
    Chris Lim, Aug 6, 2006
  10. "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 04:31:53 -0700, Chris Lim wrote:
    >
    >>> Unisys used to be a reputable company. Why should it outsource to an
    >>> overseas company when there are good outsourcing providers located here
    >>> in
    >>> NZ.

    >> Cost?

    > If it cannot sustain the cost of doing business in this country then it
    > should consider taking its business elseware - and leaving within our
    > country the jobs that our people would otherwise do - instead of sending
    > those jobs overseas to some low-wage country that we'd have absolutely no
    > chance of competing with in order to get the work back.

    I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you buy
    something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
    decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
    reduce costs?

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,
    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Aug 6, 2006
  11. thingy

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:39:14 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    > I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you buy
    > something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
    > decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
    > reduce costs?

    I willingly pay a premium price for a traditional Swandri jacket precisely
    because they are made in NZ out of our own natural fibres - and because
    they are hardwearing and last for years and... because they are Swandri
    jackets.

    I wouldn't do the same for something imported from overseas - even if it
    was marketed by Swandri.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Aug 6, 2006
  12. thingy

    EMB Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:39:14 +1200, Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you buy
    >> something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
    >> decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
    >> reduce costs?

    > I willingly pay a premium price for a traditional Swandri jacket precisely
    > because they are made in NZ out of our own natural fibres - and because
    > they are hardwearing and last for years and... because they are Swandri
    > jackets.
    >
    > I wouldn't do the same for something imported from overseas - even if it
    > was marketed by Swandri.

    You won't be buying another Swanni again then will you - they are all
    made in China now.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Aug 6, 2006
  13. thingy

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 23:33:23 +1200, EMB wrote:

    >>> I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you buy
    >>> something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
    >>> decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
    >>> reduce costs?

    >> I willingly pay a premium price for a traditional Swandri jacket precisely
    >> because they are made in NZ out of our own natural fibres - and because
    >> they are hardwearing and last for years and... because they are Swandri
    >> jackets.
    >>
    >> I wouldn't do the same for something imported from overseas - even if it
    >> was marketed by Swandri.

    > You won't be buying another Swanni again then will you - they are all
    > made in China now.

    My Swandri has a label in it which says "Made in New Zealand".

    If, as you suggest, they are now made in China, I won't buy another
    Swandri. :eek:(

    I will look around for some other jacket that is made here, out of wool.

    Dammit - I *do* like my Swandri jacket and it took long enough to find a
    retailer here in WN that would actually buy in a traditional jacket for me!!

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Aug 6, 2006
  14. thingy

    Chris Lim Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > If, as you suggest, they are now made in China, I won't buy another
    > Swandri. :eek:(

    I'm sure the company will be devastated.
    Chris Lim, Aug 6, 2006
  15. thingy

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 10:57:24 +1200, Jo wrote:
    >
    >> The type of contracts these two companies cover
    >> are highly sensitive - politically, security and commercially.

    > Since when was "security" an adverb?
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    I don't know, but pedantic is an adjective if that's any help to you.
    Nik Coughlin, Aug 6, 2006
  16. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

    8><----

    > I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you buy
    > something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
    > decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
    > reduce costs?

    Yes.

    When shopping for "high end" or "special" stuff I look to see where it
    is designed and where it is made....If I consider that the made in NZ is
    as good or better than the made in China, I buy made in NZ even if it
    costs a little more. If it is designed in NZ but made in China to be
    honest I do not pay much attention, I'm happy to buy designed in the
    USA, Canada etc etc and made in China...if kiwi designers wont support
    kiwi workers, I wont support kiwi designers....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 6, 2006
  17. thingy

    thingy Guest

    8><-----

    thingy, Aug 6, 2006
  18. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > MaHogany wrote:
    >> If, as you suggest, they are now made in China, I won't buy another
    >> Swandri. :eek:(

    > I'm sure the company will be devastated.

    If enough people vote with their wallets I'm sure they will notice....

    I always try and buy made in NZ.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 6, 2006
  19. "MaHogany" <> wrote in message

    >>> I willingly pay a premium price for a traditional Swandri jacket
    >>> precisely
    >>> because they are made in NZ out of our own natural fibres - and because
    >>> they are hardwearing and last for years and... because they are Swandri
    >>> jackets.
    >>>
    >>> I wouldn't do the same for something imported from overseas - even if it
    >>> was marketed by Swandri.

    >> You won't be buying another Swanni again then will you - they are all
    >> made in China now.

    > My Swandri has a label in it which says "Made in New Zealand".
    >
    > If, as you suggest, they are now made in China, I won't buy another
    > Swandri. :eek:(

    I think I did not correctly expose the facts in my first post. YES, Swandri
    is now made in China. It was announced a few months ago.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Aug 6, 2006
  20. "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
    >
    > 8><----
    >>
    >> I don't think this argument works for companies. For example, would you
    >> buy something else just because http://www.swandri.co.nz/ announced their
    >> decision of making their well-known and very Kiwi clothes in China, to
    >> reduce costs?
    >>

    > Yes.
    >
    > When shopping for "high end" or "special" stuff I look to see where it is
    > designed and where it is made....If I consider that the made in NZ is as
    > good or better than the made in China, I buy made in NZ even if it costs a
    > little more. If it is designed in NZ but made in China to be honest I do
    > not pay much attention, I'm happy to buy designed in the USA, Canada etc
    > etc and made in China...if kiwi designers wont support kiwi workers, I
    > wont support kiwi designers....

    Exactly my point. Swandri is now designed here, but made in China. Will you
    still buy from them?

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Aug 6, 2006