    If I unistall SP3, will SP2 be still active?
    If I unistall SP3, will IE8 still work?

    Thanks
    XPSP3uninstall, Sep 9, 2009

  2. XPSP3uninstall <> wrote:
    > I am using XP pro. I got some problems with linksys device, so linksys
    > suggested to unistall SP3. Sounds stupid, but I'd give a try.
    >
    > How (if it's possible) do you unistall SP3?
    > If I unistall SP3, will SP2 be still active?
    > If I unistall SP3, will IE8 still work?
    >
    > Thanks

    I would have a problem with a vendor telling me to do this. That is not the
    right answer - sounds like they just wanted to shift responsibility off
    themselves.

    What problems are you having with your device? If you post them here perhaps
    someone can help.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Sep 9, 2009

  3. XPSP3uninstall

    Pavel A. Guest

    Yes, uninstalling SP3 sounds stupid. Rather, get rid of the linksys device.
    What's the problem with it ?

    --pa

    Pavel A., Sep 9, 2009
  4. XPSP3uninstall

    smlunatick Guest

    On Sep 9, 2:40 pm, XPSP3uninstall
    <> wrote:
    > I am using XP pro. I got some problems with linksys device, so linksys
    > suggested to unistall SP3. Sounds stupid, but I'd give a try.
    >
    > How (if it's possible) do you unistall SP3?
    > If I unistall SP3, will SP2 be still active?
    > If I unistall SP3, will IE8 still work?
    >
    > Thanks

    When you uninstall SP3, SP2 should still be "installed" if it was
    installed before you installed SP3.

    If you installed IE 8 after installing SP3, I would uninstall it
    before, just to be on the "safe" side.

    As for Linksys stating that they do not support SP3, that just full of
    "crock!!!"

    What Linksys device do you have problems with?

    Head over to the Linksys Community forums:

    http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board?board.id=Wireless_Adapters:
    smlunatick, Sep 9, 2009
  5. Thank you all for your quick responses. I am not sure if it's related to SP3,
    but here is the story:
    My dell inspiron 2500 with XP PRO/SP3 had WPC11 wireless adapter connected
    to my network and worked fine with SP3
    When I moved, I need to connect to a different network (wrt160N router).
    Folowing an advice from linksys support Haven (with Chinese accent), I bought
    wpc54gx adapter, which did not work. Then I heard another voice, this time
    from Far East, claiming that linksys does not have drivers for SP3. This was
    of my surprise, b/c SP3 is more than a year as around, but the answer was
    firm - NO, just get rid of SP3. Desperate, I posted here, but now I
    understand, thank all of you, that I would not even try to uninstall sp3.
    Rather would buy a non-linksys adapter

    XPSP3uninstall, Sep 9, 2009
  6. XPSP3uninstall

    Lem Guest

    XPSP3uninstall wrote:
    > Thank you all for your quick responses. I am not sure if it's related to SP3,
    > but here is the story:
    > My dell inspiron 2500 with XP PRO/SP3 had WPC11 wireless adapter connected
    > to my network and worked fine with SP3
    > When I moved, I need to connect to a different network (wrt160N router).
    > Folowing an advice from linksys support Haven (with Chinese accent), I bought
    > wpc54gx adapter, which did not work. Then I heard another voice, this time
    > from Far East, claiming that linksys does not have drivers for SP3. This was
    > of my surprise, b/c SP3 is more than a year as around, but the answer was
    > firm - NO, just get rid of SP3. Desperate, I posted here, but now I
    > understand, thank all of you, that I would not even try to uninstall sp3.
    > Rather would buy a non-linksys adapter
    >

    > "XPSP3uninstall" wrote:
    >
    >> I am using XP pro. I got some problems with linksys device, so linksys
    >> suggested to unistall SP3. Sounds stupid, but I'd give a try.
    >>
    >> How (if it's possible) do you unistall SP3?
    >> If I unistall SP3, will SP2 be still active?
    >> If I unistall SP3, will IE8 still work?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    I don't know who you called, but it doesn't sound as if it was Linksys.

    You need to learn a bit about wifi devices

    The WPC11 is a very old wireless-B adapter. It is limited to 11 Mbps.

    The WRT160N is a very recent wireless-N (actually draft-N) router. It is
    theoretically capable of 600 Mbps, but only when connected to a
    wireless-n adapter. A wireless-N router can work with wireless-n
    adapters, wireless-g adapters, and wireless-b adapters.

    The WPC54gx is a wireless-G adapter. It is limited to 54 Mbps. The "SRX"
    is a proprietary Linksys technology that purports to increase the net
    bit rate to 108 Mbps but ONLY when connected to a Linksys "SRX" router.

    Thus:
    1. You should NOT buy a WPC54gx.
    2. You can keep your WPC11, but you will only be using a fraction of the
    capability of the WRT160N router. Moreover, you will have to ensure that
    the router is configured to permit wireless-B operation (not hard, but
    must be done).
    3. You can buy a wireless-N adapter. If you want to stay with Linksys
    (and personally, I've had good experience with Linksys), buy a WUSB300N
    (or WUSB100 or WPC100). The WUSB300N has better antennas; both the
    WUSB300N and WUSB100 should be used with a USB 2.0 port; the WPC100 goes
    in the same slot that the WPC11 uses.
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Sep 9, 2009
  7. I've just got WPC300N - cant wait its gonna work - thanks

    XPSP3uninstall, Sep 9, 2009
  8. XPSP3uninstall

    Lem Guest

    XPSP3uninstall wrote:
    > I've just got WPC300N - cant wait its gonna work - thanks
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> XPSP3uninstall wrote:
    >>> Thank you all for your quick responses. I am not sure if it's related to SP3,
    >>> but here is the story:
    >>> My dell inspiron 2500 with XP PRO/SP3 had WPC11 wireless adapter connected
    >>> to my network and worked fine with SP3
    >>> When I moved, I need to connect to a different network (wrt160N router).
    >>> Folowing an advice from linksys support Haven (with Chinese accent), I bought
    >>> wpc54gx adapter, which did not work. Then I heard another voice, this time
    >>> from Far East, claiming that linksys does not have drivers for SP3. This was
    >>> of my surprise, b/c SP3 is more than a year as around, but the answer was
    >>> firm - NO, just get rid of SP3. Desperate, I posted here, but now I
    >>> understand, thank all of you, that I would not even try to uninstall sp3.
    >>> Rather would buy a non-linksys adapter

    >> I don't know who you called, but it doesn't sound as if it was Linksys.
    >>
    >> You need to learn a bit about wifi devices
    >>
    >> The WPC11 is a very old wireless-B adapter. It is limited to 11 Mbps.
    >>
    >> The WRT160N is a very recent wireless-N (actually draft-N) router. It is
    >> theoretically capable of 600 Mbps, but only when connected to a
    >> wireless-n adapter. A wireless-N router can work with wireless-n
    >> adapters, wireless-g adapters, and wireless-b adapters.
    >>
    >> The WPC54gx is a wireless-G adapter. It is limited to 54 Mbps. The "SRX"
    >> is a proprietary Linksys technology that purports to increase the net
    >> bit rate to 108 Mbps but ONLY when connected to a Linksys "SRX" router.
    >>
    >> Thus:
    >> 1. You should NOT buy a WPC54gx.
    >> 2. You can keep your WPC11, but you will only be using a fraction of the
    >> capability of the WRT160N router. Moreover, you will have to ensure that
    >> the router is configured to permit wireless-B operation (not hard, but
    >> must be done).
    >> 3. You can buy a wireless-N adapter. If you want to stay with Linksys
    >> (and personally, I've had good experience with Linksys), buy a WUSB300N
    >> (or WUSB100 or WPC100). The WUSB300N has better antennas; both the
    >> WUSB300N and WUSB100 should be used with a USB 2.0 port; the WPC100 goes
    >> in the same slot that the WPC11 uses.
    >> --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    >> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html

    Yes, the WPC300N should work fine. I missed it on the Linksys website
    (probably because Linksys wants to sell the WPC600N instead).

    When setting things up, remember that you can use the Linksys utility to
    manage the WPC300N (i.e., the software that comes on the CD) or you can
    use Windows Wireless Zero Configuration to do the job, but you should
    not have both of these utilities running at the same time. See Appendix
    B of the WPC300N User Guide: "Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration."

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Sep 9, 2009
  9. XPSP3uninstall

    smlunatick Guest

    On Sep 9, 6:38 pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
    > XPSP3uninstall wrote:
    > > Thank you all for your quick responses. I am not sure if it's related to SP3,
    > > but here is the story:
    > > My dell inspiron 2500 with XP PRO/SP3 had WPC11 wireless adapter connected
    > > to my network and worked fine with SP3
    > > When I moved, I need to connect to a different network (wrt160N router)..
    > > Folowing an advice from linksys support Haven (with Chinese accent), I bought
    > > wpc54gx adapter, which did not work. Then I heard another voice, this time
    > > from Far East, claiming that linksys does not have drivers for SP3. This was
    > > of my surprise, b/c SP3 is more than a year as around, but the answer was
    > > firm  - NO, just get rid of SP3. Desperate, I posted here, but now I
    > > understand, thank all of you, that I would not even try to uninstall sp3.
    > > Rather would buy a non-linksys adapter

    > > "XPSP3uninstall" wrote:

    > >> I am using XP pro. I got some problems with linksys device, so linksys
    > >> suggested to unistall SP3. Sounds stupid, but I'd give a try.

    > >> How (if it's possible) do you unistall SP3?
    > >> If I unistall SP3, will SP2 be still active?
    > >> If I unistall SP3, will IE8 still work?

    > >> Thanks

    > I don't know who you called, but it doesn't sound as if it was Linksys.
    >
    > You need to learn a bit about wifi devices
    >
    > The WPC11 is a very old wireless-B adapter. It is limited to 11 Mbps.
    >
    > The WRT160N is a very recent wireless-N (actually draft-N) router. It is
    > theoretically capable of 600 Mbps, but only when connected to a
    > wireless-n adapter. A wireless-N router can work with wireless-n
    > adapters, wireless-g adapters, and wireless-b adapters.
    >
    > The WPC54gx is a wireless-G adapter. It is limited to 54 Mbps. The "SRX"
    > is a proprietary Linksys technology that purports to increase the net
    > bit rate to 108 Mbps but ONLY when connected to a Linksys "SRX" router.
    >
    > Thus:
    > 1. You should NOT buy a WPC54gx.
    > 2. You can keep your WPC11, but you will only be using a fraction of the
    > capability of the WRT160N router. Moreover, you will have to ensure that
    > the router is configured to permit wireless-B operation (not hard, but
    > must be done).
    > 3. You can buy a wireless-N adapter. If you want to stay with Linksys
    > (and personally, I've had good experience with Linksys), buy a WUSB300N
    > (or WUSB100 or WPC100). The WUSB300N has better antennas; both the
    > WUSB300N and WUSB100 should be used with a USB 2.0 port; the WPC100 goes
    > in the same slot that the WPC11 uses.
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP
    >
    > Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/index.html

    Lem,

    You need to know that several, if not most, companies outsource the
    tech support lines overseas to areas where the labour force works
    cheap. It could be that Linksys is now one of those companies.
    smlunatick, Sep 10, 2009
  10. XPSP3uninstall

    Lem Guest

    smlunatick wrote:

    <much snippage>

    > On Sep 9, 6:38 pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:

    >> I don't know who you called, but it doesn't sound as if it was Linksys.

    > Lem,
    >
    > You need to know that several, if not most, companies outsource the
    > tech support lines overseas to areas where the labour force works
    > cheap. It could be that Linksys is now one of those companies.

    I realize that of course, but the answers that the OP got just seemed
    too far off the wall even for outsourced tech support.

    Now that I think more about it, I guess I can see that some
    minimally-trained script reader would say that there's no XP sp3 driver
    for the WPC11 because the most recent driver for that came out in Feb
    2004, which was before *sp2* was released. Similarly, the most recent
    driver for the WPC54GX was released in May 2005, before sp3 was
    released. Thus, there's no driver for either device that was
    *specifically* designated for sp3. Of course, the old drivers work just
    fine with sp3, but facts are never a strong point for script readers.

    The more peculiar thing is why any Linksys tech support person, even
    someone in Asia or the Far East, would recommend purchasing a WPC54GX to
    someone who was trying to connect to a WRT160N. That just doesn't make
    any sense to me. I don't think Linksys even makes its "SRX" products
    anymore.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Sep 10, 2009
  11. XPSP3uninstall

    John Guest

    "Lem" <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote in message
    > I realize that of course, but the answers that the OP got just seemed too
    > far off the wall even for outsourced tech support.
    >
    > Now that I think more about it, I guess I can see that some
    > minimally-trained script reader would say that there's no XP sp3 driver
    > for the WPC11 because the most recent driver for that came out in Feb
    > 2004, which was before *sp2* was released. Similarly, the most recent
    > driver for the WPC54GX was released in May 2005, before sp3 was released.
    > Thus, there's no driver for either device that was *specifically*
    > designated for sp3. Of course, the old drivers work just fine with sp3,
    > but facts are never a strong point for script readers.
    >
    > The more peculiar thing is why any Linksys tech support person, even
    > someone in Asia or the Far East, would recommend purchasing a WPC54GX to
    > someone who was trying to connect to a WRT160N. That just doesn't make any
    > sense to me. I don't think Linksys even makes its "SRX" products anymore.

    You said it yourself. They're minimally trained script readers. They're not
    real techies. Why are you surprised they recommend wrong products.
    John, Sep 10, 2009
  12. XPSP3uninstall

    Meg Guest

    I have both the N router and the N adapter on a PC with Wndows XP SP3.
    According to LInksys, sp3 does not work with their adapters. I find this a
    bit hard to believe, but can't get the computer to connect to the wireless
    network. It sees it, but does not connect. I have searched at naseuam for a
    driver, (as per LInksys) and really don't know where else to turn.

    Meg, Jan 4, 2010
  13. On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 05:38:01 -0800, Meg <>
    wrote:
    Hi!
    I´m using Linksys WUSB300N-LA with XP SP3 without problems.

    Bye

    Jorge
    Jorge E. González, Jan 4, 2010