Unique Small Office Network Setup

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Cappy, May 30, 2008.

  1. Cappy

    Cappy Guest

    I originally set up a wireless network for our office that allowed basic file
    and printer sharing, as well as a network printer. Since that time computers
    and OS have come and gone, in my absence other techs have come in to get new
    computers set-up, and it appears that the network is no longer secure. I
    have been given the task of re-establishing a secure network, but the job is
    a bit more complex than the first time I did this. Here is the scenario I
    have to work with.

    -There are 6 computers, both desktops and laptops, both XP and Vista.

    -3 computers connect wireless (two desktop, one laptop -- one of the
    desktops is -Vista).

    -3 computers connect via ethernet cable.

    -The "access points" are a Linksys wireless 54G router slaved off of a Intel
    5-port Business Hub (I can go into more detail if necessary). HOWEVER, we
    have a D-Link Xtreme-N Wireless Router sitting in the box, and this "problem"
    may be the perfect opportunity to switch hardware.

    -There are three printers in various offices that are wired to their PC's
    and are set up to be shared.

    -There is one network printer connected to one of the access points (not
    sure which as I type).

    -The hope is to have the wireless router be unsecure so as to allow anyone
    coming in to access the net, yet have a secure small office network that
    allows file and printer sharing between office computers that is not visible
    to other users logged on to the wireless.

    Make sense? If so, is there any way to accomplish this sort of going out
    and purchasing a server?

    Thanks!

    Clifford
    Cappy, May 30, 2008

  2. In a perfect world, I would setup VLAN so that the public wireless can't
    access the secured LAN. Since this is small office and you have two routers,
    you may put the first wireless router for the public access and connect the
    second router behind the first router so that the second router or LAN can
    access the public router to the Internet and the public LAN can't access the
    secured LAN because the second router blocks it.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), May 30, 2008

  3. Cappy

    Cappy Guest

    Frankster,

    By securing the wireless network and then simply supplying the password to
    visiting individuals we still expose our shared files to those folks, which
    even though they are in our office we still don't want to make the
    information visible. Yes, it sounds kind of bi-polar, but we want to share
    our wireless broadband liberally while keeping access to files quite secure.

    Cappy, May 30, 2008
  4. "Cappy" <> wrote in message
    > Frankster,
    >
    > By securing the wireless network and then simply supplying the password to
    > visiting individuals we still expose our shared files to those folks,

    No it does not,...unless you are setting the permissions on the File Shares
    to allow anonymous access. Just because someone is given access to the
    "wire" (includes Radio Signals) that does not mean they automatically have
    access to other things on the same "wire". What would you do if you had a
    particular group of users on the normal LAN that weren't supposed to have
    access to certain things?....create a new IP Segment for every
    situation?,..no way.

    > even though they are in our office we still don't want to make the
    > information visible.

    Define "visible".

    --
    Phillip Windell