    hit the net via typical ethernet cable, all through the router. The only
    thing I have managed to do is to get to the internet via the main computer
    with the Cisco card in it. Any suggestions?
    =?Utf-8?B?YWxsZW44MTA2?=, Aug 16, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?YWxsZW44MTA2?=

    Lem Guest

    allen8106 wrote:
    > I have what I think is a pretty unique setup that I need help with. I get my
    > internet signal via a wireless tower 6 miles away. It comes through a grid
    > antenna, through a coax to a Cisco 350 series wireless lan adapter card. I
    > recently hooked up a Linksys WRT54G router. I am trying to get my laptop and
    > PDA to hit the internet via wireless and trying to get another computer to
    > hit the net via typical ethernet cable, all through the router. The only
    > thing I have managed to do is to get to the internet via the main computer
    > with the Cisco card in it. Any suggestions?

    I think you can do what you want with WinXP's "Internet Connection
    Sharing." You will need a standard Ethernet NIC in the computer with
    the Cisco card.

    Do not use the WAN (Internet) port on the WRT54G, but connect one of the
    other ports to the NIC in the "gateway" computer (the one with the Cisco
    card).

    In the router's configuration utility, be sure to disable the router's
    DHCP server (ICS in the "gateway" computer will provide a DHCP server
    and NAT functionality).

    When you use ICS, the NIC in that computer gets a static IP address of
    192.168.0.1. The default IP address of Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1,
    which is on the wrong subnet, so you need to change it. I don't know
    the range of IPs assigned by ICS; you could try setting the router to
    192.168.0.2 and see if you get a conflict. If you do, try
    192.168.0.150.

    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314066/en-us
    and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310563/en-us
    and many more:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search...d=1173&query=internet connection sharing&adv=
    Lem, Aug 16, 2006

  3. my case is something similar but i can not have another 192.168.0.1 on my
    network. is there any way to change it to something else?

    y.

    =?Utf-8?B?eXVya28=?=, Nov 21, 2006
  4. Hi
    You can change the core IP of the Router to any IP within the subnet
    192.168.xxx.yyy, as long as the xxx group is the same as the rest of the
    Network and there is No other number that is exactly the same in the YYY
    group.
    How to do you change the IP in your particular Router? I Do know, I use
    something else, read the manual.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 21, 2006
  5. hi Jack, thanks for reply. Unfortunately i have to use something esle other
    then 192.168.0.1 for ICS host. I absolutely have to.

    what are my options?

    =?Utf-8?B?eXVya28=?=, Nov 21, 2006
  6. Hi
    Try this instead of ICS,