Unique Freeware Website

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Bear Bottoms, Sep 20, 2006.

  1. Bear Bottoms

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    There are lot's of good freeware sites out there, however, this one is a
    bit unique in two ways.

    1. The main purpose of this site is to sift through the hundreds of open
    source and freeware programs available and list only the best ones. I
    receive RSS feeds from various sources and get the latest news on new
    developements. Comodo Personal Firewall and ZipGenius are examples of
    immediate daily updates to this site as they happen.

    2. Very easy to sift through the programs and find what you are looking
    for. I find this action cumbersome at most sites.

    Those two characteristics make this site a simple quick way to find the
    best programs along with a bit more than just software.

    http://bearbottoms1.com
     
    Bear Bottoms, Sep 20, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. David H. Lipman, Sep 20, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bear Bottoms

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:19:45 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "Bear Bottoms" <>
    >
    >| There are lot's of good freeware sites out there, however, this one is a
    >| bit unique in two ways.
    >
    > < snip >
    >
    > There is NOTHING unique in this spam !


    It's only SPAM if your selling something...I don't sell anything. This
    site is simply FREE and I think well organized.
     
    Bear Bottoms, Sep 20, 2006
    #3
  4. From: "Bear Bottoms" <>


    |
    | It's only SPAM if your selling something...I don't sell anything. This
    | site is simply FREE and I think well organized.

    It is spam because it was NOT requested information and your posting it all over the place !

    The fact that objects on the web site has no bearing on its being spam.

    Please refrain from spamming a web site to merely increase the number of "hits".


    --
    Dave
    http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
     
    David H. Lipman, Sep 20, 2006
    #4
  5. Bear Bottoms

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:03:28 -0500, Bear Bottoms
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:19:45 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:


    >It's only SPAM if your selling something...I don't sell anything. This
    >site is simply FREE and I think well organized.


    But its YOUR site and you are shoving it in our faces and this
    newsgroup is about COMPUTER SECURITY not freeware or websites
    so you are a spammer, the lowest of the low, and when someone
    tells you nicely you want to argue ?


    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
     
    Jim Watt, Sep 20, 2006
    #5
  6. Bear Bottoms

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:06:41 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "Bear Bottoms" <>
    >
    >
    >|
    >| It's only SPAM if your selling something...I don't sell anything. This
    >| site is simply FREE and I think well organized.
    >
    > It is spam because it was NOT requested information and your posting it all over the place !
    >
    > The fact that objects on the web site has no bearing on its being spam.
    >
    > Please refrain from spamming a web site to merely increase the number of "hits".


    Who cares about hits. I get nothing for them. This is a free offering of
    help.
     
    Bear Bottoms, Sep 20, 2006
    #6
  7. From: "Bear Bottoms" <>


    |
    | Who cares about hits. I get nothing for them. This is a free offering of
    | help.

    And it is still spam. If I want Free Comodo software, I'll go to their web site.
    http://www.personalfirewall.trustix.com/

    Now if someone posted a query looking for a web site about free security software and you
    replyed, that would be a whole different matter. That's not the case here, you are clearly
    spamming the web site.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
     
    David H. Lipman, Sep 20, 2006
    #7
  8. Bear Bottoms

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:31:02 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "Bear Bottoms" <>
    >
    >
    >|
    >| Who cares about hits. I get nothing for them. This is a free offering of
    >| help.
    >
    > And it is still spam. If I want Free Comodo software, I'll go to their web site.
    > http://www.personalfirewall.trustix.com/
    >
    > Now if someone posted a query looking for a web site about free security software and you
    > replyed, that would be a whole different matter. That's not the case here, you are clearly
    > spamming the web site.


    The definition of spam is purposely vague because everybody has his or her
    own definition. As it currently stands, spam is in the eye of the beholder.

    In this case, my post is relevant to the ng, as I target security progs and
    offer progs that really stand out, along with a lot more. It is a helpful
    site, only that and I get nothing.
     
    Bear Bottoms, Sep 20, 2006
    #8
  9. Bear Bottoms

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:24:42 +0200, Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:03:28 -0500, Bear Bottoms
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:19:45 GMT, David H. Lipman wrote:

    >
    >>It's only SPAM if your selling something...I don't sell anything. This
    >>site is simply FREE and I think well organized.

    >
    > But its YOUR site and you are shoving it in our faces and this
    > newsgroup is about COMPUTER SECURITY not freeware or websites
    > so you are a spammer, the lowest of the low, and when someone
    > tells you nicely you want to argue ?


    I'm not arguing...I made a simple post...that's it. You should check out
    my suggestions for a security suite on the site...and the online virus
    scans, and the free tech support forums, all suggestions which goes a bit
    beyond the simple listing of programs. I like suggestions as to the
    quality of choices.

    It is a simple offering of effort.
     
    Bear Bottoms, Sep 20, 2006
    #9
  10. Bear Bottoms

    Percival Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:19:45 +0100, David H. Lipman
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    > From: "Bear Bottoms" <>
    >
    > | There are lot's of good freeware sites out there, however, this one is
    > a bit unique in two ways.
    >
    > < snip >
    >
    > There is NOTHING unique in this spam !
    >


    I don't find the website is spam, if you want to say that it is badly
    designed or the links suck, then fine, but there is no selling and there
    is not even advertisements where money could be made.

    The website contains links that maybe of interest, maybe you know all
    products there already but not everyone, and as far as I can see he
    did not crosspost.

    And on everysingle post you have this two websites as a signature, that
    probably is more spam than his single one group advert which by they way
    is as much on topic as your websites in the signature.

    I reccomend from now on he puts his website at the bottom of his signature
    on everysingle post so people like you stop moaning.
     
    Percival, Sep 21, 2006
    #10
  11. Bear Bottoms

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:34:41 +0100, Percival wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:19:45 +0100, David H. Lipman
    > <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >
    >> From: "Bear Bottoms" <>
    >>
    >>| There are lot's of good freeware sites out there, however, this one is
    >> a bit unique in two ways.
    >>
    >> < snip >
    >>
    >> There is NOTHING unique in this spam !
    >>

    >
    > I don't find the website is spam, if you want to say that it is badly
    > designed or the links suck, then fine, but there is no selling and there
    > is not even advertisements where money could be made.
    >
    > The website contains links that maybe of interest, maybe you know all
    > products there already but not everyone, and as far as I can see he
    > did not crosspost.
    >
    > And on everysingle post you have this two websites as a signature, that
    > probably is more spam than his single one group advert which by they way
    > is as much on topic as your websites in the signature.
    >
    > I reccomend from now on he puts his website at the bottom of his signature
    > on everysingle post so people like you stop moaning.


    Thanks Percival, I will take your advice. I'm really not trying to harm
    anyone. I'm putting a lot of effort into finding the top freeware progs
    out there and making those findings available to all...I get nothing.
     
    Bear Bottoms, Sep 21, 2006
    #11
  12. Bear Bottoms

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:34:41 +0100, Percival wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:19:45 +0100, David H. Lipman
    > <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >
    >> From: "Bear Bottoms" <>
    >>
    >>| There are lot's of good freeware sites out there, however, this one is
    >> a bit unique in two ways.
    >>
    >> < snip >
    >>
    >> There is NOTHING unique in this spam !
    >>

    >
    > I don't find the website is spam, if you want to say that it is badly
    > designed or the links suck, then fine, but there is no selling and there
    > is not even advertisements where money could be made.
    >
    > The website contains links that maybe of interest, maybe you know all
    > products there already but not everyone, and as far as I can see he
    > did not crosspost.
    >
    > And on everysingle post you have this two websites as a signature, that
    > probably is more spam than his single one group advert which by they way
    > is as much on topic as your websites in the signature.
    >
    > I reccomend from now on he puts his website at the bottom of his signature
    > on everysingle post so people like you stop moaning.


    How is that Perci?
    --
    I research freeware: http://bearbottoms.com
     
    Bear Bottoms, Sep 21, 2006
    #12
  13. Bear Bottoms wrote:

    > The definition of spam is purposely vague because everybody has his or her
    > own definition. As it currently stands, spam is in the eye of the beholder.


    For you it's in the eye of 'X-Complaints-To: ', as done.

    Anyway, it's SPAM because you're not discussion anything or posting
    relevant content.

    > In this case, my post is relevant to the ng, as I target security progs and
    > offer progs that really stand out, along with a lot more. It is a helpful
    > site, only that and I get nothing.


    Don't you think it's utterly stupid to download or just get linked to
    downloads by a random unknown website?
     
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Sep 21, 2006
    #13
  14. Bear Bottoms

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Bear Bottoms wrote:

    > There are lot's of good freeware sites out there, however, this one is a
    > bit unique in two ways.
    >
    > 1. The main purpose of this site is to sift through the hundreds of open
    > source and freeware programs available and list only the best ones. I
    > receive RSS feeds from various sources and get the latest news on new
    > developements. Comodo Personal Firewall and ZipGenius are examples of
    > immediate daily updates to this site as they happen.
    >
    > 2. Very easy to sift through the programs and find what you are looking
    > for. I find this action cumbersome at most sites.
    >
    > Those two characteristics make this site a simple quick way to find the
    > best programs along with a bit more than just software.
    >
    > http://bearbottoms1.com


    Well I for one like it and found some useful links. Thanks.
     
    Rick Merrill, Sep 21, 2006
    #14
  15. Bear Bottoms

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 02:16:07 +0200, Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

    > Bear Bottoms wrote:
    >
    >> The definition of spam is purposely vague because everybody has his or her
    >> own definition. As it currently stands, spam is in the eye of the beholder.

    >
    > For you it's in the eye of 'X-Complaints-To: ', as done.
    >
    > Anyway, it's SPAM because you're not discussion anything or posting
    > relevant content.
    >
    >> In this case, my post is relevant to the ng, as I target security progs and
    >> offer progs that really stand out, along with a lot more. It is a helpful
    >> site, only that and I get nothing.

    >
    > Don't you think it's utterly stupid to download or just get linked to
    > downloads by a random unknown website?


    Ah, great question. All of the links at the site go to the home of the
    product or trusted download sites. However, a point in safe surfing as
    described at my site is to use "Sandboxie" when you go to 'unknown' sites
    until you decide if it is trusted. This is a must IMO. Tips like this and
    others will help a lot of people. Of course you can also use a Phishing
    prog, have your security updates current, a good firewall, a good
    anti-virus prog, a good active realtime defense prog...(a good security
    suite) and you should be armed to explore a bit. I list all of this and
    more.
    --
    I research freeware: http://bearbottoms.com
     
    Bear Bottoms, Sep 21, 2006
    #15
  16. Bear Bottoms

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:18:41 -0400, Rick Merrill wrote:

    > Bear Bottoms wrote:
    >
    >> There are lot's of good freeware sites out there, however, this one is a
    >> bit unique in two ways.
    >>
    >> 1. The main purpose of this site is to sift through the hundreds of open
    >> source and freeware programs available and list only the best ones. I
    >> receive RSS feeds from various sources and get the latest news on new
    >> developements. Comodo Personal Firewall and ZipGenius are examples of
    >> immediate daily updates to this site as they happen.
    >>
    >> 2. Very easy to sift through the programs and find what you are looking
    >> for. I find this action cumbersome at most sites.
    >>
    >> Those two characteristics make this site a simple quick way to find the
    >> best programs along with a bit more than just software.
    >>
    >> http://bearbottoms1.com

    >
    > Well I for one like it and found some useful links. Thanks.


    Your very welcome and thank you so much. Anything you could help me on
    that would help others would be appreciated always. This is an effort to
    help...that is all.
    --
    I research freeware: http://bearbottoms.com
     
    Bear Bottoms, Sep 21, 2006
    #16
  17. Bear Bottoms

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:53:15 -0500, Bear Bottoms
    <> wrote:

    >> you are a spammer, the lowest of the low, and when someone
    >> tells you nicely you want to argue ?

    >
    >I'm not arguing...


    Yes you are - repeatedly.

    >You should check out my suggestions


    My suggestion would be you should **** off and die
    but lets see what X-Complaints-To:
    think.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
     
    Jim Watt, Sep 21, 2006
    #17
  18. Bear Bottoms wrote:

    > The definition of spam is purposely vague because everybody has his or her
    > own definition. As it currently stands, spam is in the eye of the beholder.


    And in this case the beholders are telling you to stop your fucking
    spamming.

    Clear enough?
     
    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Sep 21, 2006
    #18
  19. Bear Bottoms wrote:

    >> Don't you think it's utterly stupid to download or just get linked to
    >> downloads by a random unknown website?

    >
    > Ah, great question. All of the links at the site go to the home of the
    > product or trusted download sites.


    So, how can someone verify that it doesn't go to some phishing site with
    similar or completely different but compelling website?

    > However, a point in safe surfing as described at my site is to use "Sandboxie"


    Useless, because it's trivial to break out of this container, it really
    isn't a sandbox by design. And only fools would even think of using MSIE on
    the internet, which it was never designed for and is even documented to be
    trivially exploitable. Better use a webbrowser.

    > when you go to 'unknown' sites until you decide if it is trusted.


    The number of trustworthy sites is about zero, as almost any includes
    third-party content.

    > This is a must IMO.


    This is a "Stupid, don't ever do so!" IMO.


    > Of course you can also use a Phishing prog


    Phishing is a social, not a technical problem, and common tools to help
    with filtering obviously invalid content are normally called
    "anti-phishing".

    > a good firewall


    Why?

    > a good anti-virus prog


    Why?

    > a good active realtime defense prog...(a good security suite)


    What a shit?
     
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Sep 21, 2006
    #19
  20. Bear Bottoms

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:38:41 -0600 (MDT), Borked Pseudo Mailed
    <> wrote:

    >Bear Bottoms wrote:
    >
    >> The definition of spam is purposely vague because everybody has his or her
    >> own definition. As it currently stands, spam is in the eye of the beholder.

    >
    >And in this case the beholders are telling you to stop your fucking
    >spamming.
    >
    >Clear enough?


    Anyone calling themselves that is signalling they are an
    arsehole but at least he should keep to the woods ...
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
     
    Jim Watt, Sep 21, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. AC

    Unique Network setup - wireless /w wired

    AC, Feb 6, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,686
  2. wayne
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    652
    wayne
    Feb 23, 2005
  3. Bear Bottoms

    Unique Freeware Website

    Bear Bottoms, Sep 23, 2006, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    886
    Bear Bottoms
    Sep 23, 2006
  4. Bear Bottoms

    Unique Freeware Website

    Bear Bottoms, Sep 20, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    919
    Bear Bottoms
    Sep 20, 2006
  5. Bear Bottoms

    Unique Freeware Website

    Bear Bottoms, Sep 23, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    877
    Bear Bottoms
    Sep 23, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page