Unintentional B&W tint ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PcB, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. PcB

    PcB Guest

    .... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
    Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
    seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
    for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour settings. I
    am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
    something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.

    Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image

    http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg

    and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
    display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.

    Cheers,
    Paul

    --
    Paul ============}
    o o

    // Live fast, die old //
    Gallery at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/NewGallery2.htm
    PcB, Jan 20, 2006

  2. PcB

    Scott W Guest

    PcB wrote:
    > ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
    > Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
    > seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
    > for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour settings. I
    > am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
    > something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
    >
    > Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
    >
    > http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
    >

    > and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
    > display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Paul

    Since that is a gray scale image there is no way for it to have a tint,
    there is simply no color information in it at all.

    Scott
    Scott W, Jan 20, 2006

  3. PcB

    PcB Guest

    "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    > PcB wrote:
    >> ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
    >> Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
    >> seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
    >> for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour
    >> settings. I
    >> am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
    >> something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
    >>
    >> http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
    >>

    >> and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
    >> display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Paul

    > Since that is a gray scale image there is no way for it to have a tint,
    > there is simply no color information in it at all.
    >
    > Scott

    Hi Scott,

    Yeah, I know, but I wanted to be sure. It would be an expensive mistake
    otherwise ....

    Cheers,
    Paul

    PcB, Jan 20, 2006
  4. PcB

    Scott W Guest

    PcB wrote:
    > "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    > > PcB wrote:
    > >> ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
    > >> Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
    > >> seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
    > >> for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour
    > >> settings. I
    > >> am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
    > >> something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
    > >>
    > >> Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
    > >>
    > >> http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
    > >>

    > >> and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
    > >> display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >> Paul

    > > Since that is a gray scale image there is no way for it to have a tint,
    > > there is simply no color information in it at all.
    > >
    > > Scott
    > >

    > Hi Scott,
    >
    > Yeah, I know, but I wanted to be sure. It would be an expensive mistake
    > otherwise ....
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Paul

    Many monitors also allow you to adjust the color temp of them, I had
    one that looked very blue to my eye until I set adjusted it.

    Scott
    Scott W, Jan 20, 2006
  5. PcB

    tomtom Guest

    Are you saying that the image has a blue cast when you print it?

    If so, although there is no colour information in the picture many
    printers, particularly Epsons will print mono pictures with a colour
    cast - sometimes blue, often magenta.

    The answer is not in your editing software but in the printer driver.
    If you select black ink only the picture will print without a colour
    cast, but you may lose some detail.

    The alternative is to print with the colour inks but adjust the colours
    in the printer driver - try reducing the cyan by 5% for starters - you
    should notice a difference. You will probably need to experiment with
    different settings to get rid of the cast.

    To avoid wasting a lot of paper and ink print test strips. Copy a one
    inch strip of your image to a new file and print at the top of the
    page. Cut each strip off and put the paper back in until it is too
    small to use again.
    tomtom, Jan 20, 2006
  6. PcB

    Bigguy Guest

    The colour dropper / sampler tool will give th RGB value - equal RGB levels
    = neutral grey.

    Guy

    Bigguy, Jan 20, 2006
  7. PcB wrote:
    > ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
    > Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
    > seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
    > for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour settings. I
    > am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
    > something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
    >
    > Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
    >
    > http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg

    look at the gray scale in
    http://www.vircen.com/rpd/

    if it does not look gray,
    then your monitor is off.

    your image looks perfectly gray.

    bob crownfield, Jan 20, 2006
  8. PcB

    Tesco News Guest

    "PcB" <pcbradley@no_spam_lineone.net> wrote in message
    > ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
    > Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
    > seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
    > for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour settings.
    > I am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
    > something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
    >
    > Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
    >
    > http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
    >

    > and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
    > display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Paul
    >
    > --
    > Paul ============}
    > o o
    >
    > // Live fast, die old //
    > Gallery at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/NewGallery2.htm

    Hi.

    I have looked at your image, and it is neutral gray. You say you have
    adjusted screen settings, but still get the immage as blue.

    I believe you need to Calibrate your new Monitor, to get it to show correct
    colours and neutral gray.

    Most Monitors need to be Calibrated, straight out of the box. If you go to
    any large Computer Store, you will notice that every screen will be showing
    a different colour bias, if they had been calibrated they would all be
    looking identical.

    If it is a CRT, Elements will have installed Adobe Gamma, in the Windows
    Control Panel, which is a utility for Calibrating, and for creating a
    corrected Monitor Profile. If you read up the Elements Help Files, it will
    tell you exactly what you need to do. It is important to use the controls
    on the Monitor to set its Colour Temperature to 6500K instead of its native
    9000K, (less blue), before starting.

    If it is a Flat Panel, Adobe Gamma will probably not be able to Calibrate it
    correctly. You will then need a Hardware, device such as Spyder 2, to get
    its colours and neutrals correct. Or, you would need to get someone, with
    the equipment, to come and do the Calibration for you.

    Returning it as faulty, will probably not solve the problem, you will just
    get a different colour bias with its replacement.

    Roy G
    Tesco News, Jan 21, 2006
  9. Tesco wrote on Sat, 21 Jan 2006 02:40:57 GMT:

    TN> "PcB" <pcbradley@no_spam_lineone.net> wrote in message
    ??>> ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have
    ??>> desaturated in Elements. The image, however, appears to
    ??>> have a blue tint (which I am not seeing elsewhere). I am
    ??>> working with a new display and have messed around for two
    ??>> days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour
    ??>> settings. I am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes,
    ??>> the new monitor or I missed something in Elements and it
    ??>> really does have a blue tint.
    ??>>

    TN> If it is a Flat Panel, Adobe Gamma will probably not be
    TN> able to Calibrate it correctly. You will then need a
    TN> Hardware, device such as Spyder 2, to get its colours and
    TN> neutrals correct. Or, you would need to get someone, with
    TN> the equipment, to come and do the Calibration for you.

    TN> Returning it as faulty, will probably not solve the
    TN> problem, you will just get a different colour bias with its
    TN> replacement.

    Some LCDs do come with calibration software. I know my Viewsonic
    did and it worked quite well.

    James Silverton.
    James Silverton, Jan 21, 2006
  10. On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:29:41 GMT, "PcB"
    <pcbradley@no_spam_lineone.net> wrote:

    >... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
    >Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am not
    >seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have messed around
    >for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma and colour settings. I
    >am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes, the new monitor or I missed
    >something in Elements and it really does have a blue tint.
    >
    >Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the image
    >
    >http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
    >

    >and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
    >display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.

    Have you actually calibrated your monitor with a colorimeter?

    If not, you need to. You don't tweak color setting you get a correct
    color profile with a calibrator.

    "A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
    color of blood in black and white"

    David Douglas Duncan
    Speaking on why in Vietnam
    he worked only in black and white
    http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/
    John A. Stovall, Jan 21, 2006
  11. PcB

    Mark² Guest

    PcB wrote:
    > ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
    > Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am
    > not seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have
    > messed around for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma
    > and colour settings. I am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes,
    > the new monitor or I missed something in Elements and it really does
    > have a blue tint.
    > Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the
    > image
    > http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
    >

    > and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
    > display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Paul

    If it has a tint, it is due entirely to something OTHER than the image file
    itself, since you've removed that.
    It's going to be either a monitor profile that's off...monitor
    settings...calibration off...or even your eyes adjusting to other colors
    which may be too "present" for your eyes not to erroneously compensate.
    This last one can be surprisingly common.
    This is why it's usually suggested that you work with neutral grey
    backgrounds, and with fairly dark lighting in the workroom where you view
    your screen.

    It's easy to demonstrate the effect other colors can have on our perception
    of image color casts:

    Desaturate an image in photoshop...
    ....then hit control-Z...staring at the color image for a number of seconds.

    -When you toggle back to grey-scale, if you keep your eyes staring at the
    same part of the image when it goes grey-scale...your eyes will cause you to
    momentarily see the OPPOSITE colors that were present in the image before
    you switched back to grey-scale. Try it. It's fascinating. -But it points
    to how easily our eyes can be fooled by the presence of other colors.
    Mark², Jan 21, 2006
  12. PcB

    Mark² Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:29:41 GMT, "PcB"
    > <pcbradley@no_spam_lineone.net> wrote:
    >
    >> ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
    >> Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I
    >> am not seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have
    >> messed around for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma
    >> and colour settings. I am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes,
    >> the new monitor or I missed something in Elements and it really does
    >> have a blue tint.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the
    >> image
    >>
    >> http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
    >>

    >> and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
    >> display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.

    > Have you actually calibrated your monitor with a colorimeter?
    >
    > If not, you need to. You don't tweak color setting you get a correct
    > color profile with a calibrator.

    Good advice.
    I recommend the fairly affordable Spyder 2.
    It's around $150, and does a great job creating monitor profiles, and
    -Mark
    Mark², Jan 21, 2006
  13. PcB wrote:
    > ... what I mean is, I have a colour image which I have desaturated in
    > Elements. The image, however, appears to have a blue tint (which I am
    > not seeing elsewhere). I am working with a new display and have
    > messed around for two days now, updating drivers and tweaking gamma
    > and colour settings. I am starting to wonder if it's just my eyes,
    > the new monitor or I missed something in Elements and it really does
    > have a blue tint.
    > Anyway, I would be really grateful if you would have a look at the
    > image
    > http://static.flickr.com/33/87953538_cdaeda5d48_o.jpg
    >

    > and let me know before I decide to take further action and return the
    > display or look for the superglue to re-apply my hair.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Paul

    Paul,

    I looked at your image and thought the sky looked slightly blue as well.
    Checking the downloaded image in Paint Shop Pro, though, all the areas
    show as grey (I have any colour management disabled). I suspect the sky
    looks a little blue because we /expect/ they sky to look blue! I.e. it's
    one of those images which fools the eye slightly. It might also be the
    effect of many of the Windows XP colours being just slightly yellow in the
    colour scheme I'm using.

    You should obviously check the colour temperature setting of the display
    as well.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 21, 2006
  14. PcB

    PcB Guest

    Well, many many excellent replies and all very helpful. It *is* a TFT, not a
    CRT - can't seem to buy them round here anymore - and I have now also viewed
    the image on three other TFTs, only one of which gave the neutral greys and
    blacks I expected. Ths is a real shame as I enjoy finally having lots of
    working space on screen but I may have to ditch this one and go back to my
    15" CRT. I had suspected this would happen (I had also thought about a
    Spyder but that woul cost almost as much as I paid for the display).

    Thanks everyone,
    Paul

    PcB, Jan 21, 2006
  15. PcB

    Mark² Guest

    PcB wrote:
    > Well, many many excellent replies and all very helpful. It *is* a
    > TFT, not a CRT - can't seem to buy them round here anymore - and I
    > have now also viewed the image on three other TFTs, only one of which
    > gave the neutral greys and blacks I expected. Ths is a real shame as
    > I enjoy finally having lots of working space on screen but I may have
    > to ditch this one and go back to my 15" CRT. I had suspected this
    > would happen (I had also thought about a Spyder but that woul cost
    > almost as much as I paid for the display).

    If you want accurate color, you'll have to be willing to do what it takes to
    get it.
    I think you need to view reasonable color tools as PART of a monitor's
    cost...ANY monitor's cost.
    **But here's the good news: Once you've got a decent colorometer, any and
    ALL future monitors will run at their best. As it stands now, NONE of your
    monitors will do this for you.

    -Mark

    Mark², Jan 21, 2006
  16. PcB

    Mark² Guest

    One more thought.

    >PcB wrote:
    > Well, many many excellent replies and all very helpful. It *is* a
    > TFT, not a CRT - can't seem to buy them round here anymore - and I
    > have now also viewed the image on three other TFTs, only one of which
    > gave the neutral greys and blacks I expected.

    That's because it's not just about what monitor you have hooked up so much
    as it is your color system's way of sending data to those monitors. If
    you're going to keep trying different monitors--waiting for neutral
    greys--as your attempt to achieve accurate color...you're in for one long,
    painful ride. If you don't simply give up and decide you don't
    care...eventually you'll come around to a colorometer. Do yourself a
    avor. -Turn away from a losing strategy.
    Mark², Jan 21, 2006
  17. PcB

    PcB Guest

    > One more thought.
    >
    >>PcB wrote:
    >> Well, many many excellent replies and all very helpful. It *is* a
    >> TFT, not a CRT - can't seem to buy them round here anymore - and I
    >> have now also viewed the image on three other TFTs, only one of which
    >> gave the neutral greys and blacks I expected.

    > That's because it's not just about what monitor you have hooked up so much
    > as it is your color system's way of sending data to those monitors. If
    > you're going to keep trying different monitors--waiting for neutral
    > greys--as your attempt to achieve accurate color...you're in for one long,
    > painful ride. If you don't simply give up and decide you don't
    > care...eventually you'll come around to a colorometer. Do yourself a
    > avor. -Turn away from a losing strategy.

    Thanks Mark², good point. I spen part of today playing with Adobe gamma and
    have something closer to what I want and will try and find someone with a
    colorimeter to finish the job. I also had a print made and now have a
    reference point for further adjustments ....

    Paul

    --

    Flickr pages at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcbradley
    PcB, Jan 21, 2006
  18. On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:08:21 GMT, "PcB"
    <pcbradley@no_spam_lineone.net> wrote:

    >"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    >> One more thought.
    >>
    >>>PcB wrote:
    >>> Well, many many excellent replies and all very helpful. It *is* a
    >>> TFT, not a CRT - can't seem to buy them round here anymore - and I
    >>> have now also viewed the image on three other TFTs, only one of which
    >>> gave the neutral greys and blacks I expected.

    >> That's because it's not just about what monitor you have hooked up so much
    >> as it is your color system's way of sending data to those monitors. If
    >> you're going to keep trying different monitors--waiting for neutral
    >> greys--as your attempt to achieve accurate color...you're in for one long,
    >> painful ride. If you don't simply give up and decide you don't
    >> care...eventually you'll come around to a colorometer. Do yourself a
    >> avor. -Turn away from a losing strategy.
    >>

    >Thanks Mark², good point. I spen part of today playing with Adobe gamma and
    >have something closer to what I want and will try and find someone with a
    >colorimeter to finish the job. I also had a print made and now have a
    >reference point for further adjustments ....

    Unless you have the monitor calibrated and are using the correct ICC
    profile for your printer, ink set and paper, a print isn't much good.

    John A. Stovall, Jan 22, 2006
  19. PcB

    Mark² Guest

    PcB wrote:
    >> One more thought.
    >>
    >>> PcB wrote:
    >>> Well, many many excellent replies and all very helpful. It *is* a
    >>> TFT, not a CRT - can't seem to buy them round here anymore - and I
    >>> have now also viewed the image on three other TFTs, only one of
    >>> which gave the neutral greys and blacks I expected.

    >> That's because it's not just about what monitor you have hooked up
    >> so much as it is your color system's way of sending data to those
    >> monitors. If you're going to keep trying different
    >> monitors--waiting for neutral greys--as your attempt to achieve
    >> accurate color...you're in for one long, painful ride. If you don't
    >> simply give up and decide you don't care...eventually you'll come
    >> around to a colorometer. Do yourself a avor. -Turn away from a
    >> losing strategy.

    > Thanks Mark², good point. I spen part of today playing with Adobe
    > gamma and have something closer to what I want and will try and find
    > someone with a colorimeter to finish the job. I also had a print made
    > and now have a reference point for further adjustments ....
    >
    > Paul

    Unfortunately, having a print won't help much since you won't have a system
    that is predictably consistent with anything...until your profile is set up
    properly, and your printer is being instructed based on the accuracy of what
    you see on a calibrated monitor. Otherwise, you're still reduced to
    guesswork and reprint fiddling.
    Mark², Jan 22, 2006
  20. PcB

    Tesco News Guest

    >>Thanks Mark², good point. I spen part of today playing with Adobe gamma
    >>and
    >>have something closer to what I want and will try and find someone with a
    >>colorimeter to finish the job. I also had a print made and now have a
    >>reference point for further adjustments ....

    > Unless you have the monitor calibrated and are using the correct ICC
    > profile for your printer, ink set and paper, a print isn't much good.

    I agree with John.

    You are just prolonging the problem by tinkering.

    You need to get your Monitor Calibrated, and if you are going to use a
    professional to do this work, also get him or her to write a Printer Profile
    for each of your favourite combinations of Ink and Papers. Those profiles
    will be more accurate than the "canned" Profiles from your Printer or Paper
    manufacturers.

    Roy G
    Tesco News, Jan 22, 2006